The Devin Toner Appreciation Thread

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

The Devin Toner Appreciation Thread

Post by RoboProp »

I've always been a fan and at the start of this season I had a feeling he would have his break-through season. He was getting better and better each season but this year he has really catapaulted into the big leagues. His total game has just so vastly improved. He probably won't be on the plane to NZ which will be fawking travesty. I said before on another thread that people were looking for a replacement for Hines and we got a replacement for Big Mal in the process. He runs a lineout like MOK, his stride is even reminiscent of the Tower's. Anyway, its great to see, keep it up "Too Tall", you're a player who really gives it his all in blue and for that I thank you!

:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: The Devin Toner Appreciation Thread

Post by Donny B. »

RoboProp wrote:I've always been a fan and at the start of this season I had a feeling he would have his break-through season. He was getting better and better each season but this year he has really catapaulted into the big leagues. His total game has just so vastly improved. He probably won't be on the plane to NZ which will be fawking travesty. I said before on another thread that people were looking for a replacement for Hines and we got a replacement for Big Mal in the process. He runs a lineout like MOK, his stride is even reminiscent of the Tower's. Anyway, its great to see, keep it up "Too Tall", you're a player who really gives it his all in blue and for that I thank you!

I was only thinking last night that should be his nickname.

Great minds RP, great minds........... :D
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I have to admit that I've been very slow to warm to Toner as a potential starter in the team for big games etc., but his set-piece, carries and defence have been very strong, he was superb last night.

I don't know why I can't warm to him as a first choice lock though. :/ but he's definitely impressing me more and more every time I see him.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Donny B. wrote:
RoboProp wrote:I've always been a fan and at the start of this season I had a feeling he would have his break-through season. He was getting better and better each season but this year he has really catapaulted into the big leagues. His total game has just so vastly improved. He probably won't be on the plane to NZ which will be fawking travesty. I said before on another thread that people were looking for a replacement for Hines and we got a replacement for Big Mal in the process. He runs a lineout like MOK, his stride is even reminiscent of the Tower's. Anyway, its great to see, keep it up "Too Tall", you're a player who really gives it his all in blue and for that I thank you!

I was only thinking last night that should be his nickname.

Great minds RP, great minds........... :D
Or 3T "Too Tall" Toner :lol: I've been calling him "Tool Tall" for sometime after I heard some fans use it in a derisory manner, I think it should be his badge of honour.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Motm by a mile against Embra and probably the thirdnor fourth time he's been the best player on the pitch. Needs more HEC starts and then we'll known if he's intnl material.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

[Jackass] wrote:I have to admit that I've been very slow to warm to Toner as a potential starter in the team for big games etc., but his set-piece, carries and defence have been very strong, he was superb last night.

I don't know why I can't warm to him as a first choice lock though. :/ but he's definitely impressing me more and more every time I see him.
He still has some rough edges to his game but it's improved so much. His lines were fantastic, he was on hand for all sorts of pop passes and offloads. He took his try poorly. Dive for the line and he goes over untouched. I felt there was an earlier chance where he might have done the same too when he was held up sort and we recycled.

So many other aspects of his game were brilliant though, in fact this is the sort of thing that's only coming up because he's doing so well to get in those positions that he now has a need to improve in those areas.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

[Jackass] wrote:I have to admit that I've been very slow to warm to Toner as a potential starter in the team for big games etc., but his set-piece, carries and defence have been very strong, he was superb last night.

Himself and Thorn are the tandem of locks I like, a la Matfield/Bakkies. The pairing of the athlete/lineout operator and the ruck clearer outer/engine room/enforcer gives any team an edge.

There's more to Big Dev's arsenal these days than running a lineout. There's his majestic restarts, his defence is always reliable and the relatively newly added weapon of line-breaks.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

[Jackass] wrote: I don't know why I can't warm to him as a first choice lock though.
Because he looks awkward. I think that's what puts people off. Hard not to when you are 2.1M tall.

Even his try last night looked awkward. Until the IRB start giving less points for tries that are less pretty he will be fine.

He has taken a long time to come through just because he had to grow into that frame.

He has serious power though. I think he is better on the loose head side beside Thorn than the Tight head side beside Leo.

Anyway. I don't care how awkward he looks if he plays like he has this season.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

He's been terrific this year and he will, eventually, be a regular fixture in Ireland squads in the future.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

Cianostays wrote:He's been terrific this year and he will, eventually, be a regular fixture in Ireland squads in the future.
Totally agree. But I think even he would agree that the finish for his try last night was comical
:lol:
elfan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Have to say, I'm a huge Dev fan too.
Hs carrying has improved hugely this year, his handling is immense, his lineout and restart work is very good.

At 25, Dev has played huge games against the likes of Munster in Thomond, Sarries in Wembley and Wasps in the HEC, and he's really pushing Leo this season tbh.

I would have started him last week, although I wouldn't start him against Clermont, but he's definitely HEC level.

Whomever told him that his 20 stone would be better spent if he stayed low should be rewarded.

Great player, and I think we overlook him as an amazing prospect. In lock terms, he's probably at the age of a EOM, and no doubt he's our future.

The one thing I feel he lacks is scrummaging, and I'm not sure if that will ever be different, but as a 4 that should be ok.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Dev, Strauss and Cronin are the three players in the squad who know how to time their run onto the pop ball. Kev and a few of the others could learn from their depth, pace and lines.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

jezzer wrote:Dev, Strauss and Cronin are the three players in the squad who know how to time their run onto the pop ball. Kev and a few of the others could learn from their depth, pace and lines.

I point you towards Nacewa's try last night off Boss' pop.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

jezzer wrote:Dev, Strauss and Cronin are the three players in the squad who know how to time their run onto the pop ball. Kev and a few of the others could learn from their depth, pace and lines.
Wouldn't Isa's try last night have been an example of that?
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

In fairness, most of Kev Locky's work is on making the quick ball.
Have to say, I'd be of the opinion that him and Jennings should be our 6/7 to start in Clermont. He's a serious carrier to get quick ball going again, as is Ruddock.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

johng wrote:
[Jackass] wrote: I don't know why I can't warm to him as a first choice lock though.
Because he looks awkward. I think that's what puts people off. Hard not to when you are 2.1M tall.

Even his try last night looked awkward. Until the IRB start giving less points for tries that are less pretty he will be fine.

He has taken a long time to come through just because he had to grow into that frame.

He has serious power though. I think he is better on the loose head side beside Thorn than the Tight head side beside Leo.

Anyway. I don't care how awkward he looks if he plays like he has this season.
Awkward looking try cause Visser came in with a very ugly high tackle and nearly took his head off.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Morf wrote:

I point you towards Nacewa's try last night off Boss' pop.
I was really thinking of our squad of forwards, apols if it wasn't clear. We've a lot of backs who can hit the pop ball well.
Donald
Mullet

Post by Donald »

New chant fit big Dev after Friday nights exploits? OH SIT DOWN OH SIT DOWN SIT DOWN NEXT TO ME!!
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

"He's Tall, He's Thin,
You'll only reach his Chin
To-ner, To-ner"

"His name is Dev,
His Feet stick out the Bed
To-ner, To-ner"

"Devin To-ner, Devin To-ner,
Devin makes you look like gnomes (look like gnomes)
Devin makes you look like gnomes."

or the slightly more surreal

"Raindrops are falling on my Waist
And Yes that means my Legs are too big for my Bed
Nothing seems to fit
My, name is Devin Toner, Devin Toner
I'm seven foot three, nothing's worrying me"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

jezzer wrote:"He's Tall, He's Thin,
You'll only reach his Chin
To-ner, To-ner"

"His name is Dev,
His Feet stick out the Bed
To-ner, To-ner"

"Devin To-ner, Devin To-ner,
Devin makes you look like gnomes (look like gnomes)
Devin makes you look like gnomes."

or the slightly more surreal

"Raindrops are falling on my Waist
And Yes that means my Legs are too big for my Bed
Nothing seems to fit
My, name is Devin Toner, Devin Toner
I'm seven foot three, nothing's worrying me"
I'm guessing that most of us would struggle to reach his navel- never mind his chin!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"