Robin Copeland

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Robin Copeland

Post by wixfjord »

Haven't seen this being discussed elsewhere, but an interesting one, he's joined the Blues for next year:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/ ... 77835.html

A Leinster born, IQ young second row who has been ripping it up in the First Division in England by all accounts.

Isn't this the exact type of signing we should be looking to make?

I know Denton may be higher rated, but would have been another nice coup to add to our second row ranks, or is he more of a flanker??
22dropout
Bookworm

Re: Robin Copeland

Post by 22dropout »

It literally only a small thing but i like my 2nd rows to be no shorter than 6'6. The article lists him at 6'5

I just think you need those couple of extra centimeters if your going to be a top class lineout operator.
slarty
Beginner

Post by slarty »

wixfjord wrote:Haven't seen this being discussed elsewhere, but an interesting one, he's joined the Blues for next year:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/ ... 77835.html

A Leinster born, IQ young second row who has been ripping it up in the First Division in England by all accounts.

Isn't this the exact type of signing we should be looking to make?

I know Denton may be higher rated, but would have been another nice coup to add to our second row ranks, or is he more of a flanker??
He may regret this move.

My BiL sat next to him at the QF, and he didn't look happy.

"I'm playing for this lot next year" he said after being asked what was wrong with him.
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Is Denton confirmed?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Murray Kinsella had a bit of info on him in one of his 'Exiles' articles [they're all well-worth a read]:

http://murraykinsella.wordpress.com/201 ... led-irish/
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:Murray Kinsella had a bit of info on him in one of his 'Exiles' articles [they're all well-worth a read]:

http://murraykinsella.wordpress.com/201 ... led-irish/
Morris scored 3 tries last season in 3 starts and 3 sub appearances. Not fair to say that he wouldn't have gotten a chance. My reading of it was that he left before Carr signed.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Easterby said we'll announce next year's squad in due course when asked about Denton

For Copeland though not as if we're short of options at 6, anyone know who was ahead of him for the Ireland u20's when he was Leinster u20's?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jesus I would kill to get Morris back at the expense of Carr.
Morris will be pure class imo.
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

The Irish Times article is misleading Copeland played 2nd row for Marys. He made his name in England playing as a number 6 he isn't tall enough for 2nd row, Cardiff have signed him as a Number 6 ( http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5809.php. )
The Guy has serious pace i have seen him out sprint some wingers when he was with Marys and he finished top try scorer in the league in his last season in the AIL.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

christy wrote:The Irish Times article is misleading Copeland played 2nd row for Marys. He made his name in England playing as a number 6 he isn't tall enough for 2nd row, Cardiff have signed him as a Number 6 ( http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5809.php. )
The Guy has serious pace i have seen him out sprint some wingers when he was with Marys and he finished top try scorer in the league in his last season in the AIL.
Indeed. He scored a ridiculous amount of tries from the second row in his last season with Marys. Two short and light for the second row, I'm delighted to hear he's made a go of it in the backrow in England and earned a move to a Pr012 team (despite their current financial plight).
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Donny B. wrote:
christy wrote:The Irish Times article is misleading Copeland played 2nd row for Marys. He made his name in England playing as a number 6 he isn't tall enough for 2nd row, Cardiff have signed him as a Number 6 ( http://www.cardiffblues.com/news/5809.php. )
Indeed. He scored a ridiculous amount of tries from the second row in his last season with Marys. Two short and light for the second row, I'm delighted to hear he's made a go of it in the backrow in England and earned a move to a Pr012 team (despite their current financial plight).
Be interesting to see how Robin goes this season : http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/14458.php , he deserves a run in the Pro 12.
Flying wedge
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Starting this weekend against Connacht
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

Scott wrote:Starting this weekend against Connacht
he's a smashing player, really stood out in his last 3 seasons with Rotherham, Plymouth and St. Marys - 6 in the Tom Croft mould. Hope he has a great season.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

if he's in the Tom Croft mould will he go missing in big games? especially when his pack is not dominating? :-p
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Flying wedge
garr17
Knowledgeable

Post by garr17 »

Chapp is a great guy and soon enough will be a world class player give it a season or two and he'll be back over here in blue wen Leo goes and SOB'S nody gives up like Ferris's is about to
SEXTON IS A GOD!!!!!
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Another good night for Robin, thought he should have got man of the match against a poor Munster team.
Flying wedge
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

footrush wrote
Another good night for Robin, thought he should have got man of the match against a poor Munster team.
+1

If anybody but Ralph (the former out-half) had been awarding that MOM, it would have been Copeland who truly looks like a player of ability and now power. He has really developed himself superbly.

He carried the Cardiff effort in the 1st half and crowned it with his try in the 2nd half which showed real pace and footwork that any of the Munster backs would have been proud of.

Make that man an offer - compared to Tom Denton or Leo A'A, he is the business!
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Good Wexford stock...can imagine he'll be back in Leinster blue in a few years to replace Jamie
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

bronxbull wrote:Good Wexford stock...can imagine he'll be back in Leinster blue in a few years to replace Jamie
Why not next year or ASAP to address our troubles in the second row?
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"