Barca like or kilkennyesque

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

glenageary
Mullet

Barca like or kilkennyesque

Post by glenageary »

In reading the munster fans forum recently , they were very complimentary calling us the Barcelona of rugby, however others with a better analogy and in keeping with us being Leinster called us kilkennyesque!

After watching barca tonight I can say rubbish to the football analogy - actually rubbish to soccer full stop - but being compared to kilkenny I find quite fitting.

It's funny that blue and yellow (gold) are ASM's colours!

hopefully the cats vs tipp this weekend will be another classic with us Cats winning, meow!
simplythebest
Enlightened

Re: Barca like or kilkennyesque

Post by simplythebest »

"Kilkennyesque" is very high praise indeed.
LEINSTER pour toujours
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

glenageary wrote:In reading the munster fans forum recently , they were very complimentary calling us the Barcelona of rugby, however others with a better analogy and in keeping with us being Leinster called us kilkennyesque!

After watching barca tonight I can say rubbish to the football analogy - actually rubbish to soccer full stop - but being compared to kilkenny I find quite fitting.

hopefully the cats vs tipp this weekend will be another classic with us Cats winning, meow!
Indeed it's an apt comparison, and I feel extremely privileged to be a supporter of both teams.

It's just a pity that Munster's Pride&Honesty® marketing campaign seems to have been effective in pinching some of their fanbase from around Leinster's fringes where people might tend to see it as a city versus country thing.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

glenageary wrote:In reading the munster fans forum recently , they were very complimentary calling us the Barcelona of rugby, however others with a better analogy and in keeping with us being Leinster called us kilkennyesque!

And what about poor DJ - wishing him a speedy recovery despite his having broken many a yellabelly's heart on many a day...
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

sid wrote:

Indeed it's an apt comparison, and I feel extremely privileged to be a supporter of both teams.

It's just a pity that Munster's Pride&Honesty® marketing campaign seems to have been effective in pinching some of their fanbase from around Leinster's fringes where people might tend to see it as a city versus country thing.

Feck the lunsters , if people equate Leinster with D4 nowadays they clearly don't know Leinster rugby and the real fans. Last hec final and the Tullow tank bus full of fans and the lots of bunting around Rosslare show that some leinster folk do know their roots and geography. We should all support Leinster teams over any other provincial teams, and I will support Meath in football :shock: if Dublin are out!
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

glenageary wrote:
sid wrote:Indeed it's an apt comparison, and I feel extremely privileged to be a supporter of both teams.

Feck the lunsters , if people equate Leinster with D4 nowadays they clearly don't know Leinster rugby and the real fans. Last hec final and the Tullow tank bus full of fans and the lots of bunting around Rosslare show that some leinster folk do know their roots and geography. We should all support Leinster teams over any other provincial teams, and I will support Meath in football :shock: if Dublin are out!
Try going down to the Blue Bar in Kilkenny for a Leinster game, and look at some of the half wits (there's only a few, mind you) in their Toyota jerseys cheering on the opposition. It is actually nauseating. Ask them what it's all about, after all, KK and Tipp & Cork are such rivals that they wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire, and they try to make out that it's different. It's definately a Dublin thing, but this is where the likes of SOB are so important to us.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

I was heartned to hear Jerry Flannery on Newstalk this morning saying that the first time he was at a match in Croke Park was the first rugby game there v France when he was on the bench. He said he was not much into GAA. I'd compare us to the West Indies Cricket team in the 80's & early 90's when Viv Richards and Brian Lara were smashing 6's for fun. Playing with panache, style & a joie de vivre.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Mauler wrote:I'd compare us to the West Indies Cricket team in the 80's & early 90's when Viv Richards and Brian Lara were smashing 6's for fun. Playing with panache, style & a joie de vivre.
And look how quickly they crashed back to earth. I think I'm about describe this thread as "Munster fans circa 2006."
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Barcelona are currently on track to finish the season potless (cdr final left to play).
I have Bumbleflex
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Feck the lunsters , if people equate Leinster with D4 nowadays they clearly don't know Leinster rugby and the real fans. Last hec final and the Tullow tank bus full of fans and the lots of bunting around Rosslare show that some leinster folk do know their roots and geography. We should all support Leinster teams over any other provincial teams, and I will support Meath in football if Dublin are out!
11 teams to choose from and you pick the dirty Royals??? :shock: :shock:
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

We havent won anything back-to-back so kilkennyesque is out of the question.

Barca-like in approach maybe, but let's see if we win anything before we start the circle jerk and naval gazing.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

We are Leinster.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

tate wrote:We havent won anything back-to-back so kilkennyesque is out of the question.

Barca-like in approach maybe, but let's see if we win anything before we start the circle jerk and naval gazing.
Yup. Don't recall Kilkenny going into a semi final in their peak years being anything other than distinct favourites, which we're not. Kilkenny have won 7 or the last 10 titles. We've won 2 in 16 years. Lets calm ourselves a wee bit.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

ceemec wrote: Yup. Don't recall Kilkenny going into a semi final in their peak years being anything other than distinct favourites, which we're not. Kilkenny have won 7 or the last 10 titles. We've won 2 in 16 years. Lets calm ourselves a wee bit.
At their best Kilkenny are simply a joy to watch and I don't think there's anything wrong with saying the same about Leinster. I wouldn't go much further than that since I think comparing numbers of trophies is meaningless when the competitions the teams play in are completely different.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

West Brit wrote:
Mauler wrote:I'd compare us to the West Indies Cricket team in the 80's & early 90's when Viv Richards and Brian Lara were smashing 6's for fun. Playing with panache, style & a joie de vivre.
And look how quickly they crashed back to earth. I think I'm about describe this thread as "Munster fans circa 2006."
Leinster Rugby in its current shape and form, from the 1st team squad all the way down to the u16 summer training camps for the top JCT players, are in a TOTALLY different place than the West Indies team of that era were in! The comparison to playing style and team ethos is accurate, but you cannot say that 'just because they fell apart at the seams, we will too'

They fell apart for many reasons. Funding, the retirement of several top players without adequate development systems in place to replace these world beaters in the long run and the complexities involved in banding together a team from several small island nations. They never fully emerged from the 'amateur era' if you like. (As an aside, once Garner, Holding, Richards, Marshall, Dujon and Greenidge had retired or passed away, they still didn't lose a series for 5 years. Hardly a crash back down to earth, although it is when the cracks started to appear).

Leinster have fully legislated for player retirements with one of the top academy structures in world rugby.

We have coped exceptionally well with losses such as Girv, Disco, Big Mal, Gleeson, Contempomi in recent years and will continue to produce world class replacements when the likes of O'Driscoll and Dorce are put out to stud.

All this doesn't guarantee success, but it goes a long way to ensuring we will be there or there about's as a top NH power for many a year to come. Mick D knows what he's doing - a little faith please West Brit!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

simonno6 wrote:
We have coped exceptionally well with losses such as Girv, Disco, Big Mal, Gleeson, Contempomi in recent years and will continue to produce world class replacements when the likes of O'Driscoll and Dorce are put out to stud.
Will there be a cover charge?
A proud Winsome Fluter
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
simonno6 wrote:
Will there be a cover charge?
Do you plan on watching?
Get in the f%~king bag.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

This discussion ain't going where I thought it would!