Any Point Having A Season Ticket?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Any Point Having A Season Ticket?

Post by rosscarrick »

Now that Leinster cannot give you priority for tickets coupled with the bigger games being moved to the LR (usually loads of tickets available), there seems no point in having a season ticket anymore.
True its nice having the same seats, but there are one or two games I have to miss due to work (like Thursday games) so financially its not much different in buying individual tickets.
Any strong views on this?
The French are predictably unpredictable
brian_c
Mullet

Re: Any Point Having A Season Ticket?

Post by brian_c »

Ah come on, it's still great value. You also get free into the A games which can be fun too. I'm raging that I didn't get a ticket too, but at least I had a 1 in 4 chance. Better than a kick on the bottom.
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

brian_c wrote:Ah come on, it's still great value. You also get free into the A games which can be fun too. I'm raging that I didn't get a ticket too, but at least I had a 1 in 4 chance. Better than a kick on the bottom.
True enough about value for games in RDS, however IF Leinster Rugby had of only given each season ticket holder the option to buy just one ticket then it would have been far mor equaltable. While the team is winning there will be demand for season tickets, however I have heard of many loyal STH who missed out today & it does leave a bad taste in the mouth.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Not bothering with ST next year, probably going to miss about 3 homes games, so no value in it.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

If there are over 13,000 STHs and only 7,500 tickets available to the Leinster Branch then people were likely to miss out that way too.

I'd be curious to know did the "loyalty" of STHs actually have any bearing on the lottery?
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

Only partially about not being guaranteed tickets.
Just saying its not hard to get tickets to any Leinster games anymore.
The reason I got season tickets in the first place was because it was starting to get tough to get tickets for Munster and HCup gsmes which wasnt the case before.

And I agree with the above - should issue one to each applicant and then lottery the rest!
The French are predictably unpredictable
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

Actually you are all correct, no point in having a season ticket, we should all not bother renew.

Less season tickets means more chance of me succeeding in the next lottery.

Much as it pains me to say it, we do not have the divine right to tickets. The season ticket allows us entry to all regular season games. I missed a few this year because I was in Edinburgh until Christmas, but my brother made good use of them. I've given me season ticket to many people over the years, they all appreciated it and many of them have season tickets of their own now.

Renewal is paid every April then you have a year of games to look forward to. On a wet and windy Saturday night it's tempting to stay at home but since the ticket is already paid for you go and tend to have a great time. Also, already having the ticket bought and paid for means that the date is already blocked off on the calender and takes precedence over any last minute plans that the wife may spring ;)

Just renewed for my eight season ticket, had one since I moved back to Dublin in 2005 and never regretted it once.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

10% discount in the Leinster Shop & a voucher for Captain A's?

Only joking. I didn't get any either but a mate got 2 so I'm sorted. As has been mentioned before, there will be plenty of tickets comong available over the next few weeks, so don't panic yet.

Next year will be different (if we get that far) due to the tiny capacity of Landsdowne Road.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Benji
Knowledgeable

Post by Benji »

We have two family tickets along with rwo more adults in our gang. We have been going since donnybrook when we used to sit beside the journo's
There were less than 1000 back than. It was good value back then and its better value mow as a family.
Yes you could probably get tickets but not always where you want them.
We put in for 6 and got two. I'd be confident of getting sorted but it takes time for tickets to work their way around.
I'd be happy to hunt for tickets every year if success continues
Ive been unlucky today but ive been lucky before.
The process is hard to work out how to distribute tickets its not easy for the branch.
Book your flights and your hotels and tickets will i hope come availiable
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Mauler wrote:IF Leinster Rugby had of only given each season ticket holder the option to buy just one ticket then it would have been far mor equaltable.
I disagree. I would suggest that most people would not go to London to sit on their own. However they would sit in pairs.

If 6 friends are going they will not mind splitting up into 3 sets of 2 at the ground, but if they all have to go to different sections of the ground on their own..........

You could not give 5000 tickets out at random in 1s. No one would end up beside anyone. At least this way people will find their own groups.
Exley
Bookworm

Post by Exley »

Absolute b*%&!cks. If you aren't attending games, sure don't get one. Otherwise, they are super value.
22dropout
Bookworm

Post by 22dropout »

I put this as a topic under general chat but ill paste in here too.............................

Ok, before i start i fully understand that it was a lottery and there would be winners & losers and im just one of many unfortunate losers. I also know that it was beyond Leinster rugbys control in terms of ticket allocation numbers. This however is my rant and my reason why i should have been given my desired quota.

Like everyone else i dont have enough fingers & toes combined to list all of the matches ive been to.

I just spent €500 on getting 3 custom flags made up for leinster. You might have seen one during the semi final in bordeaux the big leinster flag over the tunnel entrance to where we were all sitting. I actually had another two but ran our of gear to put them up. I designed these flags myself to 8ft x 5ft proportions that as of now will not be able to grace twickenham. I had planned to get another two done for the final so we could have a 40ft wall of blue.

Im pretty sure out of all the Leinster supporters there at the weekend me and my mates were the only ones to engage in the friendly scrum battles with the opposing clermont supporters. We got mullered but it was all a good laugh. Representing the blue.

Anyway what annoys me most and i have seen it at the 09 and 11 finals is that some leinster guy / girl will get two tickets and think its cute if they bring their munster fan partner and that it would be even cuter again if they get he or she to dress up in a Munster jersey so people can be amazed by how this partnership is possible which such divided loyalties.

Im sick im not going. I had a massive scare last year buying from alternative sources and just not up for it again. Plus i want to be sitting right in amongst my blue brother and sisters.

Today life is cr@p.

Last edited by 22dropout on May 2nd, 2012, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Hey you're Eoin's mate! Met up with ye's before the game in Connemara. Great flags, great to see ye got them up in the tunnel before the match in stairs 15!

I also didn't get the lottery. Ofcourse I think everyone who made the struggle to get to Bordeaux should be given first dibs! :D Especially you lads with the flags. They were some serious bucks... Haha.

But nah, we'll end up tickets no problem I imagine...
Exley
Bookworm

Post by Exley »

Lads,

Would people dry their eyes already - tickets will come up. They always do. I am certain anyone looking for a ticket on the day will get sorted. I need 3, I have 2. I am sure I will get that last one.
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

Amz wrote:I'd be curious to know did the "loyalty" of STHs actually have any bearing on the lottery?
Don't know if it had much to do with I missed one home game this year because it clashed with something I had to do for college and applied for and got none.....now maybe everyone that got one was at all the games all year but imo doubt it because its hard at times not to have something important to clash at some stage (I am one of the lucky ones have my own was looking for friends so not as annoyed as others and still think the ST is worth)
22dropout
Bookworm

Post by 22dropout »

AdamK wrote:Hey you're Eoin's mate! Met up with ye's before the game in Connemara. Great flags, great to see ye got them up in the tunnel before the match in stairs 15!

I also didn't get the lottery. Ofcourse I think everyone who made the struggle to get to Bordeaux should be given first dibs! :D Especially you lads with the flags. They were some serious bucks... Haha.

But nah, we'll end up tickets no problem I imagine...
Hopefully we will get sorted. Last year we used some sports event ticketing company to get us tickets. Bought them in January thinking we were doing it ultra safely. 24 hrs before kick off we still had no correspondence from the company that we bought them off. Not what you want. When we got our tickets we were up in the nose bleeds away from it all. As i said in my post i want to be right amongst it in the Leinster section.

Anyhow! hope to see ya there.
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

Amz wrote:I'd be curious to know did the "loyalty" of STHs actually have any bearing on the lottery?
There in lies a problem, how do you define "loyalty"? I'd consider myself a "loyal" supporter but I wasn't in Bordeaux and haven't been able to get to an away game since 2009. But my ticket has been used for every home game this season (not always by me). By the only metric Leinster Rugby has to measure "loyalty" I'd come across good, it may annoy those who have followed the team on the road but missed a few home games if I got a ticket before them.

A lottery is the only fair way when demand exceeds supply. I may be a bit bitter as I missed out in 2009 (couldn't go last year as I was on my honeymoon), and I may be a bit annoyed over some people getting two tickets when I got none, but I personally can't see a better way of distributing tickets.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

brian_c wrote:
There in lies a problem, how do you define "loyalty"?
Pretty simple really. How many times was your ST scanned in at the gate during the season. QED.

I have control of 8 sts. The guy who uses the other 4 rarely shows up. I have missed 1 home game since December 07. (And only because I could afford to go on a long holiday at Christmas back then)

On those rare occasions I always make sure someone else uses the tickets.
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

I know what you're saying, but hypothetically, you may be unable to get to 50% of the games and you are good enough to give the ST to your friends and family- the card is swiped at all the home games, but does that make you "loyal" (not sure of the word sums up the issue, but we know the general implication). Contrast that with the ST holder who goes to 60% of the games but doesn't know anyone who would use the ST when they can't- in scanning terms, you are the more loyal supporter even though you went to fewer games.
I was also struck by the "meritocracy" (as it was described) of Ulster offering four tickets to current STolders. So you might have been supporting Ulster since the Titanic was built but didn't renew this year- and now somebody who enjoyed Ulster's recent improvement over the last season or two decided to get their first ST this year- and they get offered four tickets???

In summary, all ticket distribution systems are flawed.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

baaba maal wrote:I know what you're saying, but hypothetically, you may be unable to get to 50% of the games and you are good enough to give the ST to your friends and family- the card is swiped at all the home games, but does that make you "loyal" (not sure of the word sums up the issue, but we know the general implication). Contrast that with the ST holder who goes to 60% of the games but doesn't know anyone who would use the ST when they can't- in scanning terms, you are the more loyal supporter even though you went to fewer games.
I was also struck by the "meritocracy" (as it was described) of Ulster offering four tickets to current STolders. So you might have been supporting Ulster since the Titanic was built but didn't renew this year- and now somebody who enjoyed Ulster's recent improvement over the last season or two decided to get their first ST this year- and they get offered four tickets???

In summary, all ticket distribution systems are flawed.
So you are suggesting a "Season ticket inspector" goes out to everyone's house with a polygraph and "sorts that sh1t out"?

Or perhaps a photographer who takes a photo of each sth as they enter the ground, which is linked using facial recognition technology to a mugshot taken when purchasing your st?