Slug & Lettuce @ Richmond - WARNING

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Slug & Lettuce @ Richmond - WARNING

Post by AdamK »

Hi,

First off, apologies if this is the wrong place for this post, MODs feel free to move it.

Secondly, I didn't really want to post this at all, but then I realized that it's just my old Irish mentality of not wanting to complain about anything, and that I should let people know of the experience we had at the Slug & Lettuce in Richmond on Saturday - especially seeing at the amount of Leinster fans that frequented the bar.

A group of us made our way down to the bar on Saturday afternoon. I went into the bar and my mother said she'd go up for the round. She met an eldery Ulster gentlemen (in his late 60s) at the bar and they got chatting. Now, this fella was nice as anything, if a little animated, but not a bad bone in his body. When they got to the bar they were refused, when I asked my mother what the bar manager said to them she said 'He said he wouldn't serve people who wave money at them'. Referring to the fact that they had cash in their hand in clear view when ordering their drinks. Neither of them were waving the cash. The bar manager made a point of saying it to the Ulster man, but refused to serve my mother either.

I didn't think too much of it at the time and I offered to get the drinks instead. I made my way to the bar through the que when I noticed my mother had felt aggrieved enough to make a complaint to another bar manager, who was female. At that point the bar manager who originally refused to serve them started shouting out from behind the bar 'Ignore her you've better things to be doing with your time'. After a moment he made a point of going up to two of them were they seemed to exchange words.

I went over, by this time their conversation had finished, where my mother was clearly upset by what was said to her. First, he accused her of calling him stupid, which was untrue. Then when the other manager gave her the owner's business card to register a complain, the barmanager turned to her and said 'You f*cking Irish, you think you can have everything you own way!'

We left and after a few minutes made a point of forgetting about the whole situation, as we wanted to enjoy the day that was in it. But thinking back on it, I'm pretty disgusted with the whole thing. Us 'f*cking Irish' were paying his wages for the rest of the month considering the amount of us in there buying food and drink. How busy can that place be on a saturday afternoon when there isn't a match on? And the fact the were nothing but polite yet he felt the need to abuse my mother was also pretty low. The other manager admitted she was his wife, and afterwards you could see her pulling him aside and she didn't look happy.

Anyway, rant over. I just thought I'd share it with you as I know a lot of Leinster fans like to frequent the bars around the riverside there, but I for one will definitely not visit the place again, when quite simply the barmanager was borderline racist.
Last edited by AdamK on May 23rd, 2012, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berniemac67
Mullet

Re: Slug & Lettuce @ Richmond - WARNING

Post by berniemac67 »

that pub is part of a national chain afaik

i'd bet that a well written complaint to head office will get significant results

PS: just checked the website. it is a national chain, and they have a facebook page. the site has a feedback form, i'd definitely write and complain
Last edited by berniemac67 on May 22nd, 2012, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

berniemac67 wrote:that pub is part of a national chain afaik

i'd bet that a well written complaint to head office will get significant results
Thanks, will do.
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

The S&L in Richmond has a great location by the river but other than that, it has very little going for it. In the few times I've been there, my impression was that they don't give a sh!t about customer service as they know punters are going to flock to the place anyway, particularly if the weather is good.
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

Adamk, I was talking you your mum outside the Slug & Lettuce after that happened and she wasn't a happy camper at all. I'd definitely be sending them a polite, but assertive letter letting them know that you aren't a bit impressed.

Bar staff are the single biggest reason I could never live anywhere in the UK - beyond useless.
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

You should definitely write to the company - if possible get the managing directors name and address and either send your letter to him/her or send a copy. Make sure that you mention the rude and aggressive behaviour of the manager and highlight the racist comments you had to suffer. Also state that you have let your friends/family/and us on the board know exactly how you were treated. That you won't be back over their threshold ever again. After hearing this I will never set foot in one of their pubs (I can't stand them anyway) until I hear that your complaint has been resolved. If you managed to get the names of the staff it would help that you could mention them by name but not to worry if you didn't. I'd be surprised if you didn't hear back within a week of posting your letter.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

What's the situation with English licensing laws? Can you still object to the renewal of their license? Complain to the police? Picket them for a future match?
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

ronk wrote:What's the situation with English licensing laws? Can you still object to the renewal of their license? Complain to the police? Picket them for a future match?
I think making derogatory comments about someones nationality would be grounds for a formal warning from the police (but am prepared to be corrected by any lawyers). I suggest that no-one steps inside the place on match days until Adam and his ma are happy with the outcome to their complaint. Simple and effective - hit their pocket.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

honeyec wrote:Adamk, I was talking you your mum outside the Slug & Lettuce after that happened and she wasn't a happy camper at all. I'd definitely be sending them a polite, but assertive letter letting them know that you aren't a bit impressed.

Bar staff are the single biggest reason I could never live anywhere in the UK - beyond useless.
Hey! Small world and all that. Was great to meet you!

And thanks for the advise all. Didn't wanna sound like a moany michael or anything :mrgreen: but just thought I'd give the heads up considering how many Leinster punters were in there on the day... I'll let you know how we get on if we get any response. :)
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Manager according to thir website is Nicole Gore, their email is

SlugandLettuce.Richmond@stonegatepubs.com

http://www.slugandlettuce.co.uk/richmond/feedback
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

I was present in the pub and witnessed this man's offensive behaviour, towrd your mother. He refused to give me his namer.

I have already written to the Chain of Pubs outlining the incident and his subsequent racist behaviour.

Please don't ever cross the door of this Pub again, there are lots of other alternatives.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Always take a name in situations like that, regardless if you never do anything with it. Or take a photo with your mobile if he refuses to give his name. There was absolutely no excuse for a bigoted comment.

Don't bother writing to the Pub, go directly to the company offices with your complaint.
Do call us on 0845 126 2944

or write to us at:

Slug & Lettuce Co Ltd
Porter Tun House
500 Capability Green
Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 3LS

The Parent Company Stonegate has a contact form and you can select from a list of their full range of Pubs when submitting comments: http://www.stonegatepubs.com/contact/
He obviously couldn't cope with the amount of business that they were getting and was stressed which'd be the only reason any barman/manager would complain about note waving (the English do it all the time, I came over here as a barman 24 years ago and worked in and ran pubs for my first six years over here). In my day I'd take in a session as much as three English staff would easily, they just can't handle volume business.

Ronk - you'd have to residing in the district and be a council tax payer to be able to object to a pub licence or request a review via Richmond Borough Council.
Last edited by Sea_point on May 22nd, 2012, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

****Duplicate****
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

bails wrote:I was present in the pub and witnessed this man's offensive behaviour, towrd your mother. He refused to give me his namer.

I have already written to the Chain of Pubs outlining the incident and his subsequent racist behaviour.

Please don't ever cross the door of this Pub again, there are lots of other alternatives.

I got a standard e-mail acknowledging receipt and advising that they will be in touch when they have investigated the incident
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Note made to self to avoid any future time I'm in London for a game.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

bails wrote:
bails wrote:I was present in the pub and witnessed this man's offensive behaviour, towrd your mother. He refused to give me his namer.

I got a standard e-mail acknowledging receipt and advising that they will be in touch when they have investigated the incident
No disrespect but this is a very old fashioned way of airing your complaints and will be met with the usual procedure of wearing you down. They will take an age to investigate and then come back with some drivel. By that stage your outrage will have subsided and you'll just let it go. I was reading an article recently that people who complain on Twitter and Facebook tend to get instantaneous and positive outcomes to their complaints. Apparently this is the way to make a compliant nowadays, and skip the letter writing and/or ringing Customer Service etc. Businesses are terrified of the "All can see" nature of Social Media and feel that they must not only act, but be very clearly seen to have acted, in the case of poor publicity. The Slug & Lettuce have a Facebook page.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Thanks for the heads up, will be sure to avoid in the future.
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

This is awful to hear, but fails to surprise me.
Nearly all the bar staff I met were slow, unfriendly and inept at bar service.
I'll be more patient with our Irish staff in future!
The French are predictably unpredictable
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

Not shocked to hear this tbh, sad state of affairs really. I live in Chester and have have been to the Slug and Lettuce here and in fairness it's always been decent.

Wholly agree that the standard of bar staff in the UK is abysmal, generally very slow.

If I owned a bar in the UK I think I'd have to try to pay my staff on the basis of how much drink they serve!! Only way to get them to move!
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

Loving this thread. keep it coming folks!!!