Liberty Mutual in talks over RDS naming rights

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Liberty Mutual in talks over RDS naming rights

Post by mikey »

mtleinster wrote:This is becoming a vexatious conversation by phlegmatic people about a quixotic project and is therefore a Floccinaucinihilipilification
Nice!!
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

mtleinster wrote:This is becoming a vexatious conversation by phlegmatic people about a quixotic project and is therefore a Floccinaucinihilipilification
To paraphrase a well known word & letter related board game; "You sunk my battleship!" :shock:
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

I love it, change the name of the stadium to get rid of lazy jouralistic generalisations that we get associated with.
Dropkick, PM when you contribute with something intellegent and adequate.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

The 'Liberty Mutual Arena' sounds better to me.
3 Gold Stars
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

tackle-bag wrote:
mikey wrote:
dropkick wrote:It doesn't bother me. The point I'm making is that Leinster have been trying to drop their D4 sterotype so renaming the stadium might help a bit.

I think the ony place the D4 stereotype persists is in the posts of the Munster fans who post on this board. For everyone else the Leister stereotype is exhilerating rugby and 3 Heineken Cup wins...
The perception of elitism that pertains to Leinster Rugby will continue for as long as a small number of schools provide the bulk of the team. A change of the stadium's name for purely cosmetic purposes is going to do nothing to alter the position.

Taking the line-up for last year's HC final for instance:- 15. Clongowes; 14. Clongowes, 13. Blackrock, 12. Clongowes, 11. N/A; 10. Mary's, 9. Crescent; 1. Belvedere, 2. N/A, 3. St. Colman's; 4. Blackrock, 5. N/A; 6. Gonzaga, 7. Tullow C.S., 8. Newbridge.

Subs:- 16. Ardscoil Rís, 17. N/A, 18. N/A, 19. Castleknock, 20. Mary's, 21. Gonzaga, 22. Blackrock, 23. Clongowes.

Mary's is not an elite school, I wouldn't put Blackrock in that bracket either, some others listed there are regular schools also. Also, Leo Cullen is from a Wicklow farming family and only went to Blackrock for his final years. The Moyross flyer went to St Munchens , so that makes him a west brit ? My conclusion is that the Leinster team is made up of all sorts, just like Ulster, Connacht and Munster.

The sad thing about some people in Ireland is, If you speak in any way well, live in an area that is nice / clean you are a west brit. That’s just sad. For me this means the only definition of being Irish is someone who lives is a shabby dirty house and speaks with a heavy accent. Is this really the limit of what an Irish person can aspire too ? and if you are something other than that you're a displaced English person. I find this narrow view mind boggling. This is just sad and exists everywhere. Cork is famous for it, so of course the Munster lads are going to carry it over. But it’s everywhere, not just D4 versus the rest. I asked a Galway friend of mine what he thought of Dublin people, his answer was that there are 2 kinds, inner city scum and west brits. I think this says more about my Galway friend than it does about Dublin folk, and it’s not good.

The perception doesn't come from nowhere but to most right-minded people, it is irrelevant. Not supporting the Leinster rugby team because most of the players went to private schools is as moronic as refusing to support the Irish soccer team because most of the players didn't. For some inexplicable reason, however, the former position seems to be more politically acceptable than the latter.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Mary's is not an elite school, I wouldn't put Blackrock in that bracket either, some others listed there are regular schools also. Also, Leo Cullen is from a Wicklow farming family and only went to Blackrock for his final years. The Moyross flyer went to St Munchens , so that makes him a west brit ? My conclusion is that the Leinster team is made up of all sorts, just like Ulster, Connacht and Munster.

The sad thing about some people in Ireland is, If you speak in any way well, live in an area that is nice / clean you are a west brit. That’s just sad. For me this means the only definition of being Irish is someone who lives is a shabby dirty house and speaks with a heavy accent. Is this really the limit of what an Irish person can aspire too ? and if you are something other than that you're a displaced English person. I find this narrow view mind boggling. This is just sad and exists everywhere. Cork is famous for it, so of course the Munster lads are going to carry it over. But it’s everywhere, not just D4 versus the rest. I asked a Galway friend of mine what he thought of Dublin people, his answer was that there are 2 kinds, inner city scum and west brits. I think this says more about my Galway friend than it does about Dublin folk, and it’s not good.
drive for 5
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

BlueBlue wrote:Mary's is not an elite school, I wouldn't put Blackrock in that bracket either, some others listed there are regular schools also. Also, Leo Cullen is from a Wicklow farming family and only went to Blackrock for his final years. The Moyross flyer went to St Munchens , so that makes him a west brit ? My conclusion is that the Leinster team is made up of all sorts, just like Ulster, Connacht and Munster.

Some decent points there. People will always read into something in a way that suits them. They'll see what they want to see. Being involved in rugby (playing, admin, coaching & supporting) for over 15 years (prob more) the stereotype is a generalisation to suit people and their pre-conceived ideas. D4 private school types make up a good proportion of Leinster but are not the majority.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

BlueBlue wrote:Mary's is not an elite school, I wouldn't put Blackrock in that bracket either, some others listed there are regular schools also. Also, Leo Cullen is from a Wicklow farming family and only went to Blackrock for his final years. The Moyross flyer went to St Munchens , so that makes him a west brit ? My conclusion is that the Leinster team is made up of all sorts, just like Ulster, Connacht and Munster.

You're undermining your own argument with that doozy!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Peg Leg wrote:

Yawn ! If you want to take everything to an extreme, perhaps you have a point.
drive for 5
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

BlueBlue wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:

Yawn ! If you want to take everything to an extreme, perhaps you have a point.
No extremes there BlueBlue, "well" taken in this context infers "proper". It takes the argument away from accents, which is what -I think- you meant!
Ya big west brit! :wink:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Who cares what the perception of other people is to dubs, leinster fans, leinster players etc. What does the average dub think of people from Clare or Cork or Roscommon? Probably, like me, we have no particular defining opinion on anybody from another county. As far as I'm concerned they are probably all the same more or less. If you think someone is "inner city scum" or a "west brit" because of the part of this little island that they live then you are an idiot, and a bigot. All bigotry is based on fear, so really you should have pity for these idiots who spout such nonsense.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

blockhead wrote:Who cares what the perception of other people is to dubs, leinster fans, leinster players etc. What does the average dub think of people from Clare or Cork or Roscommon? Probably, like me, we have no particular defining opinion on anybody from another county. As far as I'm concerned they are probably all the same more or less. If you think someone is "inner city scum" or a "west brit" because of the part of this little island that they live then you are an idiot, and a bigot. All bigotry is based on fear, so really you should have pity for these idiots who spout such nonsense.
So people from Dublin aren't bigoted but others are?
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

sid wrote:
blockhead wrote:Who cares what the perception of other people is to dubs, leinster fans, leinster players etc. What does the average dub think of people from Clare or Cork or Roscommon? Probably, like me, we have no particular defining opinion on anybody from another county. As far as I'm concerned they are probably all the same more or less. If you think someone is "inner city scum" or a "west brit" because of the part of this little island that they live then you are an idiot, and a bigot. All bigotry is based on fear, so really you should have pity for these idiots who spout such nonsense.
How did you come to that conclusion?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote:
sid wrote:
How did you come to that conclusion?
He started at the conclusion and worked backwards.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

ronk wrote:
blockhead wrote: How did you come to that conclusion?
He started at the conclusion and worked backwards.
Sort of.
blockhead wrote:What does the average dub think of people from Clare or Cork or Roscommon? Probably, like me, we have no particular defining opinion on anybody from another county.
= Dublin people aren't bigoted
blockhead wrote:Who cares what the perception of other people is to dubs, leinster fans
blockhead wrote: If you think someone is "inner city scum" or a "west brit" because of the part of this little island that they live then you are an idiot, and a bigot.
= others are

I was hoping you'd correct me though, I'm glad you don't actually think that :)
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Geez Sid,
I dont know where to start,
Anyone (Dub or Not) who thinks ill of another individual because of where that individual lives is by definition a bigot.
Show me where I stated that Civilised Dubs are not bigots and boggers are!
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

BlueBlue wrote:Mary's is not an elite school, I wouldn't put Blackrock in that bracket either,
Blackrock is an Elite school.
BlueBlue wrote: The sad thing about some people in Ireland is, If you speak in any way well, live in an area that is nice / clean you are a west brit. That’s just sad. For me this means the only definition of being Irish is someone who lives is a shabby dirty house and speaks with a heavy accent.
BlueBlue I think your confusing the real meaning of 'West Brits'. Bit of an over generalisation in the above.
3 Gold Stars
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

No extremes there BlueBlue, "well" taken in this context infers "proper". It takes the argument away from accents, which is what -I think- you meant!
Ya big west brit! :wink
Correct, that is what I meant. Thank you, you’re very reasonable for a mere colonial.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:Mary's is not an elite school, I wouldn't put Blackrock in that bracket either,
BlueBlue wrote: The sad thing about some people in Ireland is, If you speak in any way well, live in an area that is nice / clean you are a west brit. That’s just sad. For me this means the only definition of being Irish is someone who lives is a shabby dirty house and speaks with a heavy accent.
BlueBlue I think your confusing the real meaning of 'West Brits'. Bit of an over generalisation in the above.
I know I used the word elite, but let’s face it, that’s also the wrong word. Fee paying would be much more accurate. Whether something is elite or not depends on your perspective. Personally I don’t put Blackrock in that bracket because it’s a very large school with a very large section of the Irish population represented at the school. Financially it is not out of reach for a large section of the population either, also going there for a couple of years to finish study is an option, which makes it more accessible. I’m familiar with the school and its ethos. I also know a lot of people who send their kids there, these people are quite ordinary. Also as someone has pointed out before schools like this will offer places to students who are good at rugby regardless of social background or wealth , Pres Bray is a school that lose good players to Blackrock often, there are other schools in Ireland who would tremble at the thought.

That’s my perspective,

There are other schools which I’m also familiar with, that are very expensive to attend and even if you have finance, you may not get into. Because they are small and expensive they do not represent a healthy cross section of Irish society and they have an elitist ethos. Elite is the correct word here because whether that is intend or not this type of culture prevails.

With my involvement in schools rugby I have come across many of these schools, putting money aside most of these schools promote anything but an Elite ethos, a few, and I mean 1 or 2 seem to promote a culture of it.

Again, this is my perspective. Others will of course differ.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Yes I'm generalising about a generalisation !

Out of interest, please give me the true definition of West Brit ? Perhaps you are right but I'm taking the generalisation to its maximum conclusion.
drive for 5