Liberty Mutual in talks over RDS naming rights

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Re: Liberty Mutual in talks over RDS naming rights

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
I'd wager a hefty percentage of posters on here would be ignorant(or couldn't care less) to the fact we have streets in and around our home ground, The Royal(ahem) Dublin Society, with names such as 'Prince of Wales Terrace' & 'Churchill' terrace(Winston was removed many years back), 'Wellington' (Duke removed previously) and others who imposed their will on this country for many the year.
Not to mention players like Big Dev and Shaggy, who come from the "Royal County"...tut tut tut (joke)
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Is the show that famous outside of Ireland....i.e. are we kidding ourselves of its fame?
Anyway, thats once a year....as opposed to regular live matches played in the (insert sponsor) stadium.
My point is, Leinster would have a little bit of sway (and out of all who use it, maybe the most).
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

The RDS Arena lay unused for about 350 days of the year before Leinster moved in and the RDS was running a massive defecit as a whole (hence the selling off of a big chunk of land to develop the 4 seasons and the office block across the street on Simmons Court road).

Leinster then moved in and immediately with negotiations with Leinster, knocked down the old stable houses, put in the grandstand (eventually followed by a roof) and put in North and South stands, put two "brand new" bars on the grounds of the RDS, installed flood lighting, resurfaced the pitch entirely, then following Leinster fan feedback, upgraded facilities such as toilet facilities, leased out space for vendors and 98fm truck and ticket master etc.

To say that Leinster aren't THE most important client of the RDS is quite simply silly. Before Leinster, the RDS "survived" off confrence facilities (with far more superior facilities coming in during the boom, such as on the quays and about 20 other confrence centres being constructed around the city in the last 10 years), the Horse Show, which never had the crowds like it does until the stadium was upgraded for Leinster, Funderland, which has dwindelled in numbers greatly since its peak and the very rare concert, but again, before the facilities were upgraded for Leinster, they were unable to attract many acts to the venue and the concert revenue is largely down to the improvements made viable by Leinsters presence.

It's not to say the deal isn't entirely between the sponsor and the RDS, but the RDS have SO much depending on Leinster, and gradually the venue will establish its self as a stand alone venue, which would become viable without Leinster, but to get it to that point needed Leinster and I don't doubt for a second that the RDS and Leinster are extremely close in contact with each other and would be both on the same side of the negotiating table, but Leinster would have massive sway with the RDS when it comes to the use of the arena.

And likewise, it's worth pointing out, that Leinster equally owe a massive amount to the RDS for the use of the stadium, but the point is that it was and is a massively beneficial business deal for BOTH parties involved and both are heavily reliant on each other and would have a fantastic working relationship I would imagine.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

Post by Proudleinsterman »

The RDS is long overdue a facelift and the extra capacity will be good. The RDS simply don't have the funds to re-develop the ground and without Leinster as the anchor tenant there would be little interest. You can bet that any deal will be on the understanding that Leinster remain as tenants, you would have to think that the RDS would have to agree a long term tenancy agreement with Leinster before any naming rights could be finalised. Rent free sounds good or at least an extremely competitive rental agreement if it means €15Million being pumped into the stadium.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Proudleinsterman wrote:The RDS is long overdue a facelift and the extra capacity will be good. The RDS simply don't have the funds to re-develop the ground and without Leinster as the anchor tenant there would be little interest. You can bet that any deal will be on the understanding that Leinster remain as tenants, you would have to think that the RDS would have to agree a long term tenancy agreement with Leinster before any naming rights could be finalised. Rent free sounds good or at least an extremely competitive rental agreement if it means €15Million being pumped into the stadium.

The RDS need Leinster just as we need the facility. I'd say RDS would love to tie us down to a permanent deal ergo this should improve our hand no end. And the only reason Liberty are sounding it out is because of Leinster. Not because of a Horse Show that gives practically zero brand recognition to Liberty.
3 Gold Stars
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Proudleinsterman wrote:The RDS is long overdue a facelift and the extra capacity will be good. The RDS simply don't have the funds to re-develop the ground and without Leinster as the anchor tenant there would be little interest. You can bet that any deal will be on the understanding that Leinster remain as tenants, you would have to think that the RDS would have to agree a long term tenancy agreement with Leinster before any naming rights could be finalised. Rent free sounds good or at least an extremely competitive rental agreement if it means €15Million being pumped into the stadium.

The RDS need Leinster just as we need the facility. I'd say RDS would love to tie us down to a permanent deal ergo this should improve our hand no end. And the only reason Liberty are sounding it out is because of Leinster. Not because of a Horse Show that gives practically zero brand recognition to Liberty.
Precisely.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Clermont
Knowledgeable

Post by Clermont »

I could be wrong, but i've a distinct recollection that we signed a long term lease with RDS. Are we not there for another 10 years at least?
Victor Costello – Callsign “Burger” – Turns In His Wings: One Of You Two Jokers Is Going To Top Gun, The Other Is Flying Rubber Dogshit Out of Hong Kong
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Isaac4leinster wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:
I'd wager a hefty percentage of posters on here would be ignorant(or couldn't care less) to the fact we have streets in and around our home ground, The Royal(ahem) Dublin Society, with names such as 'Prince of Wales Terrace' & 'Churchill' terrace(Winston was removed many years back), 'Wellington' (Duke removed previously) and others who imposed their will on this country for many the year.
Not to mention players like Big Dev and Shaggy, who come from the "Royal County"...tut tut tut (joke)

Hill of Tara in Co Meath was the seat of the High Kings of Ireland from around 3000 B.C. :wink:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Clermont wrote:I could be wrong, but i've a distinct recollection that we signed a long term lease with RDS. Are we not there for another 10 years at least?
Yes, we signed a 20-year deal with them before the start of the 2007-08 season. The deal has a break-clause after 10 years.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

tones wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:

Precisely.
Personally, I think we should do a deal that includes equity. So if we're bringing in big sponsorship deals that benefit the RDS and creating facilities we should trade these off for part ownership thereby making a genuine commitment to the site and a genuine home for Leinster......and a share of income from improved marketability of the facility.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Personally, I think we should do a deal that includes equity. So if we're bringing in big sponsorship deals that benefit the RDS and creating facilities we should trade these off for part ownership thereby making a genuine commitment to the site and a genuine home for Leinster......and a share of income from improved marketability of the facility.....
I don't think they'd have even a slight interest in that. They're a 281 year old institution and they're more likely to expand than sell-off. I think they'd sooner lose us as tenants than risk losing control of their property.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ronk wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
I don't think they'd have even a slight interest in that. They're a 281 year old institution and they're more likely to expand than sell-off. I think they'd sooner lose us as tenants than risk losing control of their property.
Exactly. Grandiose ideas coupled with an inflated sense of self-worth are all very well, that’s what keeps us fans going. But there must be at least some understanding of the partner’s needs and wants- particularly when they own the gaff! Any good deal leaves something in it for both parties. Some of the stuff here lacks any appreciation of that.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Anybody got any inside info on this?

It has been talked about (redeveloping the RDS) for so many years now - I recall Mick Dawson saying they had plans drawn up and were negotiating with the RDS as far back as about 2010 - that it would be great if any news was coming up - I was hoping there would have been an announcement this season, but maybe not. :(

Are any of the plans in the public domain?
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

AFAIK the plans have been drawn up, but are awaiting for a sponsor deal first?
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Had heard the recession has hit the RDS like everyone else so funding has been delayed.
illthinkofsomething
Bookworm

Post by illthinkofsomething »

CiaranIrl wrote:
mikey wrote:Lansdowne will always be just that, and the RDS just the RDS......15 million for that - Jesus!! They must be desperate
Nearly everyone calls it the Aviva though. I try not to, but I've slipped into it too.

Surely we can't call it The Liberty Stadium though, what with the hairsprays stadium called that?
How about "The Lie Bertie Bowl"!
2009 2011 2012
Lions me hole, I have no interest in watching Irishmen getting injured playing for England in Welsh shirts....it has a ring of the Somme to it
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
mikey wrote:
Sauvignon Blank wrote:I'd wager a hefty percentage of posters on here would be ignorant(or couldn't care less) to the fact we have streets in and around our home ground, The Royal(ahem) Dublin Society, with names such as 'Prince of Wales Terrace' & 'Churchill' terrace(Winston was removed many years back), 'Wellington' (Duke removed previously) and others who imposed their will on this country for many the year.
Do you not think that it's a measure of how far a nation has come that the names that were associated with colonialism and control are now just part of the fabric, invisible to most ?

Or is is sad that people don't recognise the imperialistic nature of these things and actively campaign for their removal ?
The fact that those names which have zero relevance to their actual location still exist is indicative of the renowned Irish submissiveness/apathy/cowardice etc on the part of the majority. What you term 'invisible to most'.
At the risk of sidetracking this The Duke of Wellington was Irish, despite O'Connell's comments about horses and stables, and commanded an army made up largely of Irishmen. The idea that we should somehow erase all memory of probably the greatest general this country has ever produced because he and those fighting under him, fought under a different flag is as ridiculous as the shunning of the hundreds of thousands of Irishmen who fought in the first World War. Wellington and his army are as much a part of Irish history as Richard Mulcahy and his.
janeymac08 wrote:Hill of Tara in Co Meath was the seat of the High Kings of Ireland from around 3000 B.C.
The Hill of Tara was one of the seats of the High Kings. They also sat in Uisneach.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Can we get back to the naming of the stadium now please.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

sheepshagger wrote:Had heard the recession has hit the RDS like everyone else so funding has been delayed.

Was the funding not coming partly from the naming rights and partly from Leinster. Not more than 6 months there was press coverage about motor & telecom companies in talks/negotiations
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan