Liberty Mutual in talks over RDS naming rights

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Liberty Mutual in talks over RDS naming rights

Post by fourthirtythree »

Leinster have a GAA team? Cool!

I always find it funny how the anti-Dublin stereotype of Dublin GAA fans coexists in a balanced state of cognitive dissonance among our cousins with them being fo' real. It cracks me up. That and how, while they hate Dub supporters the hurling team is okay (despite hurling being a relatively Southside sport). Keep up those stereotypes!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote:the anti-Dublin stereotype of Dublin GAA fans coexists in a balanced state of cognitive dissonance
Jaysus how dja expect a munster fan to understand that? I had to read it slowly myself. :)
rpurfield
Beginner

Post by rpurfield »

dropkick wrote:
mikey wrote:
dropkick wrote:It doesn't bother me. The point I'm making is that Leinster have been trying to drop their D4 sterotype so renaming the stadium might help a bit.

I think the ony place the D4 stereotype persists is in the posts of the Munster fans who post on this board. For everyone else the Leister stereotype is exhilerating rugby and 3 Heineken Cup wins...
The best place to find out would be asking Leinster GAA fans what they think.
gaa will always be my number 1 sport and i can safely say i dont notice the d4 stereotype at all at games.what i do notice sometimes is people baltently not from d4 putting it on till they get a bit excited and the mask slips!!

on topic its money for nothing that gets the ground done up everyones a winner
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Munster rugby finances are so poor at the moment that TP itself may well have a name change soon enough.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

fourthirtythree wrote:. That and how, while they hate Dub supporters the hurling team is okay (despite hurling being a relatively Southside sport). Keep up those stereotypes!
Despite? No, because.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

mikey wrote:
dropkick wrote:It doesn't bother me. The point I'm making is that Leinster have been trying to drop their D4 sterotype so renaming the stadium might help a bit.

I think the ony place the D4 stereotype persists is in the posts of the Munster fans who post on this board. For everyone else the Leister stereotype is exhilerating rugby and 3 Heineken Cup wins...
The perception of elitism that pertains to Leinster Rugby will continue for as long as a small number of schools provide the bulk of the team. A change of the stadium's name for purely cosmetic purposes is going to do nothing to alter the position.

Taking the line-up for last year's HC final for instance:- 15. Clongowes; 14. Clongowes, 13. Blackrock, 12. Clongowes, 11. N/A; 10. Mary's, 9. Crescent; 1. Belvedere, 2. N/A, 3. St. Colman's; 4. Blackrock, 5. N/A; 6. Gonzaga, 7. Tullow C.S., 8. Newbridge.

Subs:- 16. Ardscoil Rís, 17. N/A, 18. N/A, 19. Castleknock, 20. Mary's, 21. Gonzaga, 22. Blackrock, 23. Clongowes.

The perception doesn't come from nowhere but to most right-minded people, it is irrelevant. Not supporting the Leinster rugby team because most of the players went to private schools is as moronic as refusing to support the Irish soccer team because most of the players didn't. For some inexplicable reason, however, the former position seems to be more politically acceptable than the latter.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I believe Reddan also spent a year in Clongowes, that's quite some representation for them and it looks like there might be a few more coming down the line as well.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

What people should bear in mind is that, as well as the fee paying students, the 'rugby playing schools', also 'make it easy' for promising rugby players to attend their schools. An example would be Denis Hurley who was going to St Pats Navan when he got into the North Leinster Development squad, he then transferred to Castleknock College where he played SCT before heading south to St Munchins where he played SCT
I have Bumbleflex
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

tackle-bag wrote:For some inexplicable reason, however, the former position seems to be more politically acceptable than the latter.
I have a theory on this - now correct me if I'm wrong - but I think people from outside of that 'stereotype' believe people who come from private schools are infact zombies. :| And to be fair, we don't have any proof to prove otherwise.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:. That and how, while they hate Dub supporters the hurling team is okay (despite hurling being a relatively Southside sport). Keep up those stereotypes!
Despite? No, because.
My point was that they hate Leinster for being effete/elitist/snob Southsiders and present the Dubs and Dub fans as the comparison "salt of the earth/ real Dubliners" but change the context and you discover they really hate them but tolerate the hurlers who are effete/elitist/snob Southsiders going by their categorisation. What they really mean is that "we have chips on our shoulders and bigotry against Dublin which we blame for whatever ills befall us".
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

fourthirtythree wrote:
ronk wrote:
Despite? No, because.
My point was that they hate Leinster for being effete/elitist/snob Southsiders and present the Dubs and Dub fans as the comparison "salt of the earth/ real Dubliners" but change the context and you discover they really hate them but tolerate the hurlers who are effete/elitist/snob Southsiders going by their categorisation. What they really mean is that "we have chips on our shoulders and bigotry against Dublin which we blame for whatever ills befall us".
No, I think people hate Leinster and Dub fans for very different reasons. Particularly when some of the latter belong to the group who hate the former.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

sid wrote:
No, I think people hate Leinster and Dub fans for very different reasons. Particularly when some of the latter belong to the group who hate the former.
And my original point is that they are able to do both of those at the same time while using the footballers as a stick to beat the rugby fans with and the hurlers to beat the football fans with. In other words their stated reasons are maintained in a state of cognitive dissonance and via that we can infer what they really think but don't say: inchoate bigotry.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Superb use of the word 'inchoate' there 433!
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Stereotypes are there because it's difficult to talk specifically about hundreds or millions of people.

Dublin hurlers are underdogs. When they weren't doing well they were mostly ignored by football Dubs and it would have been redundant to have a chip on their shoulders, even by their standards.
Seosamh
Bookworm

Post by Seosamh »

I know I am going completly off topic here but I think if they can get €15 million to go towards redeveloping the RDS to make it a modern stadium that improves fans experience of going to see the best team in Europe I reckon its great stuff altogether
I do like elephant but I couldn't eat a WHOLE one...........
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Post by Justtoby »

Dave Cahill wrote:What people should bear in mind is that, as well as the fee paying students, the 'rugby playing schools', also 'make it easy' for promising rugby players to attend their schools. An example would be Denis Hurley who was going to St Pats Navan when he got into the North Leinster Development squad, he then transferred to Castleknock College where he played SCT before heading south to St Munchins where he played SCT
Right schools, wrong order! Hurley went to Castleknock College from 1st to 3rd year playing outhalf for their JCT. He left Castleknock after his Junior Cert to go to school in Pats before finishing up in Munchins.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Knobjockey.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

sheepshagger wrote:
Knobjockey.

i second that :D :D
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

sheepshagger wrote:
Knobjockey.
Succinct and well observed
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

This is becoming a vexatious conversation by phlegmatic people about a quixotic project and is therefore a Floccinaucinihilipilification
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes