Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Heineken Cup - Leinster V ASM Clermont Auvergne

Post by Donny B. »

D2 Blue wrote:
Donny, you took the words right out of my mouth, or the polite ones. That was the only disappointing part of the day. There was absolutely no point in announcing the teams after they left the pitch. Still, it was obviously more important to announce the winner of some lousy competition and squawk on about the ****ing Gathering.
I wouldn't mind, but the eejit normally never shuts up for the whole of the second half, but when he was actually needed he went missing. Just annoying. Despite the confusion of my, most fans around me in the east Lower still got up and gave your players a round of applause and their obvious delight was wonderful to see. It was a rare highlight on a fairly depressing day.
Tom from Montferrand
Learner

Post by Tom from Montferrand »

Hello there

Back from Dublin and what a trip ! Thanks to everybody who posted advice about bars, I'll send each of you a piece of my liver, just got it removed :)

About the game - well pretty much everything has been said. I really hope Leinster finds their way to the QFs with a full team this time. Clermont clearly did a good job but on your side leaders clearly were missing (BOD, RK) or not in good shape (O'Brien, Nacewa). I think Leinster is going to have to find a couple of better locks to remain at the top ; Browne and Toner are cleraly not at Leo's level - and Leo's not getting younger. As for the backline, McFadden might well be the next D'Arcy - really impressed by his performance in both games.

Just a few random words about several topics that were raised.

The Aviva : most beautiful stadium I've ever seen. And the sound it makes when everybody is cheering is deafening - about 10 times bigger than the 80 000 seater Stade de France. So why were the Leinster supporters silent ? Maybe the usuals were scattered in the stadium (while the Clermont fans were grouped - and that helps a lot). Maybe also the average spectator has become demanding with Leinster ; they must have expected their team to win and were not prepared to chant to support a losing team. I've seen this ghappen a couple of times in Toulouse where people are so used to victory... That's one of the reasons why we Clermont fans keep on chanting even in dire circumstances, we're not used to winning so much :lol:

Wayne Barnes : I won't discuss his calls, having watched the game from far up above with vision impaired by too much Guinness. The funny thing is, when you listen to Clermont fans, Barnes is a pro-Leinster ref ; when you listen to Leinster fans, it's the opposite... Tough being a ref these days, and you guys are on the whole much nicer to the ref than we are...

Morgan Parra : his attitude on the field must be infuriating to opposite teams I guess (he's hated by many French supporters outside Clermont too), but outside of it his reputation around Clermont is quite good, giving a lot of his spare time to his village's amateur rugby club, and a pretty decent guy on the whole. Just wanted to let you know this. Now you're free to hate him when he wears yellow and blue (or just blue) :lol:

So cheer up, I'd really love Clermont to play Leinster again further up on the road this year (and beat you again :lol: :lol: :lol: ) !
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

For the record Tom, I looked for you in the Horse Show afterwards to buy you that pint. But none of the Clermont fans who were there had heard of you! :-)
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Tom from Montferrand wrote:Hello there

Back from Dublin and what a trip ! Thanks to everybody who posted advice about bars, I'll send each of you a piece of my liver, just got it removed :)

About the game - well pretty much everything has been said. I really hope Leinster finds their way to the QFs with a full team this time. Clermont clearly did a good job but on your side leaders clearly were missing (BOD, RK) or not in good shape (O'Brien, Nacewa). I think Leinster is going to have to find a couple of better locks to remain at the top ; Browne and Toner are cleraly not at Leo's level - and Leo's not getting younger. As for the backline, McFadden might well be the next D'Arcy - really impressed by his performance in both games.

Just a few random words about several topics that were raised.

The Aviva : most beautiful stadium I've ever seen. And the sound it makes when everybody is cheering is deafening - about 10 times bigger than the 80 000 seater Stade de France. So why were the Leinster supporters silent ? Maybe the usuals were scattered in the stadium (while the Clermont fans were grouped - and that helps a lot). Maybe also the average spectator has become demanding with Leinster ; they must have expected their team to win and were not prepared to chant to support a losing team. I've seen this ghappen a couple of times in Toulouse where people are so used to victory... That's one of the reasons why we Clermont fans keep on chanting even in dire circumstances, we're not used to winning so much :lol:

Wayne Barnes : I won't discuss his calls, having watched the game from far up above with vision impaired by too much Guinness. The funny thing is, when you listen to Clermont fans, Barnes is a pro-Leinster ref ; when you listen to Leinster fans, it's the opposite... Tough being a ref these days, and you guys are on the whole much nicer to the ref than we are...

Morgan Parra : his attitude on the field must be infuriating to opposite teams I guess (he's hated by many French supporters outside Clermont too), but outside of it his reputation around Clermont is quite good, giving a lot of his spare time to his village's amateur rugby club, and a pretty decent guy on the whole. Just wanted to let you know this. Now you're free to hate him when he wears yellow and blue (or just blue) :lol:

So cheer up, I'd really love Clermont to play Leinster again further up on the road this year (and beat you again :lol: :lol: :lol: ) !
Very good post Tom.

Its hard to put your finger on the reason why the Aviva was so quiet. Its like that for most of our games with the odd exception.
Most of the crowd are probably not regulars and are expecting to be entertained and experience an atmosphere rather than actually generate the atmosphere.

You've a great team and good luck for the rest of the tournament.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Tom from Montferrand wrote:
I'm not sure if you were in the RDS for the quarter-final two years but the atmosphere that night with 16,000 dedicated Leinster fans and the 2,000 noisy Clermont fans was amazing. Leinster were struggling that night and the fans rose to the challenge of the the Clermont team and made unbelievable noise.

On Saturday, when the Clermont fans made noise, we tried to get a response going, but most of the Irish fans there weren't regular Leinster fans and they would sooner stare at someone trying to get a chant going rather than join in. Maybe it would have been different if Leinster's performance hadn't been so flat right from the start but the crowds at the Aviva have always been reactive. It's not so bad when the away fans are from the likes of Bath, cause their fans aren't so loud but you noisy gits always make home fans look bad. :evil:

Anyway though I felt like sh!t after the game, I made the decision to stay out and party with any Clermont fans we met and they were as gracious in victory as they had been in defeat two years ago.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

suisse wrote:In likelihood it would have made SFA difference to the end result, but Fergus McFadden touched down with 79:02 on the clock. That try had given us the LBP. When Sexton struck the conversion, it was at 80:02. I think we're out anyway, so we should have booted the conversion away and when for the draw. It shouldn't take a full minute to get everything together when your HEC hopes are hanging by the thinnest of threads.
Surprised people haven't been talking about this more. I agree with you but would assume the call came from above that guaranteeing a LBP was better than risking a draw. The other players seemed to be up for going for it but then Johnny suddenly started to take his time.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
suisse wrote:In likelihood it would have made SFA difference to the end result, but Fergus McFadden touched down with 79:02 on the clock. That try had given us the LBP. When Sexton struck the conversion, it was at 80:02. I think we're out anyway, so we should have booted the conversion away and when for the draw. It shouldn't take a full minute to get everything together when your HEC hopes are hanging by the thinnest of threads.
Surprised people haven't been talking about this more. I agree with you but would assume the call came from above that guaranteeing a LBP was better than risking a draw. The other players seemed to be up for going for it but then Johnny suddenly started to take his time.
I agree. Thought Ferg should have attempted to drop kick the conversion and try to get the restart going. But in fairness, the losing bp was probably more than we deserved anyway.
Tom from Montferrand
Learner

Donny B. wrote:For the record Tom, I looked for you in the Horse Show afterwards to buy you that pint. But none of the Clermont fans who were there had heard of you! :-)
Yes I know !

I was ambushed on my way there.

So I guess I owe you one now for not showing up - let's hope we'll drink it together in spring 2013 !
Tom from Montferrand
Learner

Donny B. wrote:
I'm not sure if you were in the RDS for the quarter-final two years but the atmosphere that night with 16,000 dedicated Leinster fans and the 2,000 noisy Clermont fans was amazing. Leinster were struggling that night and the fans rose to the challenge of the the Clermont team and made unbelievable noise.

On Saturday, when the Clermont fans made noise, we tried to get a response going, but most of the Irish fans there weren't regular Leinster fans and they would sooner stare at someone trying to get a chant going rather than join in. Maybe it would have been different if Leinster's performance hadn't been so flat right from the start but the crowds at the Aviva have always been reactive. It's not so bad when the away fans are from the likes of Bath, cause their fans aren't so loud but you noisy gits always make home fans look bad. :evil:

Anyway though I felt like sh!t after the game, I made the decision to stay out and party with any Clermont fans we met and they were as gracious in victory as they had been in defeat two years ago.
I was there and to this day it remains my best rugby memory ever, even though we lost. The Leinster crowd singing Molly Malone gave me goose pimples...

There's something about those old-school stadiums that I love. A game in the Aviva or the Stade de France sometimes feels like modern-day show business while when you're at the RDS you feel privileged, as if you were perpetuating an old rugby tradition - and in a way you are.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Donny B. wrote:For the record Tom, I looked for you in the Horse Show afterwards to buy you that pint. But none of the Clermont fans who were there had heard of you! :-)
Yes I know !

I was ambushed on my way there.

So I guess I owe you one now for not showing up - let's hope we'll drink it together in spring 2013 !
I dunno. If you keep up this level of performance I think you'll be back in Dublin in May alright, personally I think we're screwed. The two back to back defeats are bad enough but what's really hurt us are the poor performances against Exeter and Scarlets in the first two rounds. If we'd taken BPs in both those games (as you did) we'd be in a much healthier position to compete for a second place qualification. But we were lucky to even win against Exeter and only scored one try against the Scarlets even though they were fairly abject.

Even if we do get to 20 by some miracle, we're going to have to go on a try-scoring spree to get our miserable try-count (3) up as well to be able to compete on the head to heads. At the moment only Edinburgh (on zero tries) have scored less than us. Bloody Zebre have scored more tries than us. The last two seasons, we scored 21 and 18 tries in the pool stages. I know we've been disrupted by injuries but our basic handling under pressure has been very poor this year. I've lost count of the amount of times we've knocked on and thrown loose passes near the line this season. In the last two seasons, those passes stuck, but this season they haven't and we've gotten what we deserved.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I was there and to this day it remains my best rugby memory ever, even though we lost. The Leinster crowd singing Molly Malone gave me goose pimples...

There's something about those old-school stadiums that I love. A game in the Aviva or the Stade de France sometimes feels like modern-day show business while when you're at the RDS you feel privileged, as if you were perpetuating an old rugby tradition - and in a way you are.
Completely agree and it's why I've never taken to the 'Aviva' since it was done up.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
That was a beaten team's response. They didn't feel they could score again but that Clermont could.

I think they were right. Time to be conservative.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Just a quick point to clarify the issue around the Atmosphere. I dont think anyone was using the lack of atmosphere as an excuse. Its an observation (based on numerous games now) and its something that can be improved easily enough so why not talk about it.

All grounds have areas where the noise comes from. People get used to it and understand their position in the flow of noise (if that makes sense). In the RDS it starts in the terrace and certain areas of the GS, for Dubs matches it starts on the Hill, for United its the Stretford end. We have absolutely no idea where it'll come from in the Aviva because so many of us refuse the default tickets and move to random areas. That could be fixed easily enough with a bit of thought and clever marketing e.g. Reserve the Southern side of the stadium for Season Ticket holders. Market it as the noisey end of the ground. Distribute vuvuzelas if you have to :). My own seats are shocking, but that aside, the branch could easily do more to create the atmosphere that most fans want.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Almost none of the regulars I know were sitting around me for some reason. Seats are decent and usually there are a few of them. I found it very difficult to get noise going with the people around me.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

fourthirtythree wrote:Almost none of the regulars I know were sitting around me for some reason. Seats are decent and usually there are a few of them. I found it very difficult to get noise going with the people around me.
Most of our regulars were sitting around us, and that was the problem. They're always quiet, and as I said previously, we were getting strange stares when we were shouting and cheering. Not exactly conducive to creating a raucous atmosphere.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

Post by Proudleinsterman »

Atmosphere was brutal, the worst I have experienced, outsung by a couple of thousand Clermont fans, shameful. Leinster Rugby do nothing to create an athmosphere, more interested in bumbs on seats. Far too many toffs having dusted off their Leinster scarf looking to be entertained, if this had been a Munster match with nearly 50000, the place would have been rocking.

Need to look at it, Leinster had little or no support when they needed it. Not sure what can be done, could they reserve an area and make it the kop/singing section, something. Hows about they look at French football where they have assigned people with loud hailers and their job is to keep the songs coming, yep maybe a bit ott, but only we could do 50,000 fans with no atmosphere. Time for the supporters club to start thinking outside the box, unfortunately the team was second best on Saturday and the support was even worst. Was sat in a section with my brother, when we sang it was like sitting in the away section with people looking at you as if you had 2 heads.

We were well beaten but any chance of competing Barnes robbed us by not acting on 4 times when they killed the ball with us threatening their goaline, I was raging :x , surely killing the ball on their goaling is a yellow, 4 times and no yellow. Also have to ask serious questions about Cullen, obviously little or no pressure was being put on Barnes to issue a card, we should have been in his face, Cullen is just too nice on these occassions. Could have easily been a couple of yellows, when one yelow could have changed the mood of the match.

I guess it's into the Amlin if were lucky, results did not go our way this week, Leicester scraped a win, Ulster handed Saints a win, Munster got a losing bonus point. Can't see us get through on 20pts, frankly can't see us getting 20 points.

Ah well we had a good run, where is the final next year?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread already, but did anyone else think it was a little strange that Murphy was brought in to replace McLouhglin instead of Ruddock? Not that it would have changed anything dramatically, just seemed a little odd.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

If people don't want to sing, they won't sing. The 'Gagnam Style Santa' routine tells you everything you need to know about the event on Saturday. It's a show, a day out. One gentleman in our row went in and out for 5 pints during play. I'm sure he had a great day out.

There was a thread on here about match day being like a circus.. well on Saturday we had the trapeeze act
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

fourthirtythree wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
That was a beaten team's response. They didn't feel they could score again but that Clermont could.

I think they were right. Time to be conservative.
Right decision and if they scored from the kick off (not improbable given the number of kickable penalties we conceded), we were definitely out. Sexton knew exactly what he was doing.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

sarah_lennon wrote:If people don't want to sing, they won't sing. The 'Gagnam Style Santa' routine tells you everything you need to know about the event on Saturday. It's a show, a day out. One gentleman in our row went in and out for 5 pints during play. I'm sure he had a great day out.

There was a thread on here about match day being like a circus.. well on Saturday we had the trapeeze act

The 2 lads beside me acted like they were at the cinema. Doesn't bother me, we all get different things from games.

The bottom line is, Leinster Rugby look at the bottom line, which is that each Lansdowne Rd match pays roughly the equivalent of a NIQ players annual salary. That's fine by me.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ