Clermont v Leinster 2002

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: Clermont v Leinster 2002

Post by suisse »

cormac wrote:Attendance was recorded as 7,500 which I'm assuming was the official capacity of the ground at the time. I'm guessing the actual attendance was a good bit higher.
14-16,000 I'd say
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I have zero recolection of that away game in Clermont. Weren't they called Montferran back then? I seem to recall they were only the level of what perhaps Castres would be today. Didn't know we ever won in their stadium, which is great. The Fortress can be broken!! I remember the Semi all too well though. :(

Should have been our first cup. That one stung for a while. I seem to remember Munster were in the other semi too, possilby at home also?
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Munster lost 13-12 away to Toulouse
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

[Jackass] wrote: I remember the Semi all too well though. :(
I still remember that semi I was only 13 or 14 and can still see O'Meara missing the kicks....how many did he miss that day? 5 or 6 wasn't it?
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

The home game in Donnybrook was where I got hooked on Leinster. One moment sticks out clearly in my mind, the Monferrant 2nd row (Brouzet I think) had the ball and was charging the line from 5 mtrs out with only a small outside center in his way. But that outside center not only stopped him in his tracks but drove him back another 5 mtrs. It was then you really got a sense of a) that this was a serious team in a serious competition and b) how great a warrior BOD was. Plus I was sitting beside Hugo in the stand.

Be Warned:
I have a vision of that happening in my minds eye. If for any reason, I got that wrong or have been economical with my memory, I don't want to know. I'm happy with my memory as it is
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TrapperChamonix wrote:Plus I was sitting beside Hugo in the stand.
MacNeill or Naut?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'd love to watch those games again. Donnybrook was great, absolutely jammed and a cracking atmosphere.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

johng wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:Plus I was sitting beside Hugo in the stand.
MacNeill or Naut?
MacNeill
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

David Quinlan.....what a smashing player he was.

In another era and maybe a bit luckier with injuries, could have been a big name in the european game at any rate
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Darce wrote:David Quinlan.....what a smashing player he was.

In another era and maybe a bit luckier with injuries, could have been a big name in the european game at any rate
Ahem.....just don't mention THAT Edinburgh game at the 'brook!
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

nelly the elephant wrote:

That was immediately what I thought of.

For those of you who don't remember, click here for the match report, for those of you that do remember, you probably won't click on it for obvious reasons.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Gas reading that Edinburgh match report, only seems like a year or two ago, but all those names that once seemed to be our future- long gone; Dillon, Leek, O'Riordan and 'bold boy' Quinlan himself. But Gordan's still doing it. There was a time he seemed doomed to be the great unfulfilled talent. He's done a bit alright since- and at full-back that night too! I wonder?...... Nah!! Could he? :)
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Nightmarish stuff. Aidan Kearney, God the man mountain. Saw him last week. He's only same age as BOD. I wouldn't let him play J2.
crisco10
Graduate

Post by crisco10 »

:D

What a nite. Remember the abuse Bory got vividly. Merceron was a great kicking out half, remember being in awe of him.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

limecat wrote:

For those of you who don't remember, click here for the match report, for those of you that do remember, you probably won't click on it for obvious reasons.
Was in the 22 where we conceded those late points. The last try come off a blatant forward pass and it was the touch judge that Quinlan called a "blind c***".
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ceemec wrote:Nightmarish stuff. Aidan Kearney, God the man mountain. Saw him last week. He's only same age as BOD. I wouldn't let him play J2.
He was in the Ho Sho tonight actually.
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Anyone know what the official crowd was that night? I was still in school at the time but remember Leinster had that policy that schoolkids could go in for free with their parents. We had no tickets so stood outside DBrook asking men could we be their sons for the turnstyle. Probably a group of 8 and most people obliged. But there was nowhere to see the game. Stood on the Wesley end gates.

Great times
Seems like I'm a lot older than most posters on here as I was well into my professional career after leaving college when this games was on. The official attendance was 7.5 or 8k, but it was probably closer to 10k. Which is an awful lot of people in Donnybrook which I think had an official fire marshal approved capacity of 7.5k

While on the subject of attendances back then, full house attendances were often reported at 3 or 3.5k, when the ground was full. I dont know the resaon for this but attendances were always higher than official numbers. I remember games against Munster, Ulster, Leicester. Toulouse and Stade that were all packed to the rafters. Sometimes I smile when Fans, media and even players talk about 300 spectators at a game. At one Guinness inter-pro I can remember that, although I paid into the stand I got no seat, having to sit on the steps with other punters who, like me were a little late. All the aisles were full, it was well beyond safe. The only inter-pro I remember not being full was the connacht games, but you were still talking 2 or 3k. I know others on here are going to call that BS, but THATS HOW i REMEMBER IT. oH YEAH, THE SUMMERS WERE ALWAYS HOTTER TOO... :wink:
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

TrapperChamonix wrote:The home game in Donnybrook was where I got hooked on Leinster. One moment sticks out clearly in my mind, the Monferrant 2nd row (Brouzet I think) had the ball and was charging the line from 5 mtrs out with only a small outside center in his way. But that outside center not only stopped him in his tracks but drove him back another 5 mtrs. It was then you really got a sense of a) that this was a serious team in a serious competition and b) how great a warrior BOD was. Plus I was sitting beside Hugo in the stand.

Be Warned:
I have a vision of that happening in my minds eye. If for any reason, I got that wrong or have been economical with my memory, I don't want to know. I'm happy with my memory as it is
:clap:
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

limecat wrote:

WHAT THE FECK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE ? You're all Irish aren’t you, an Irish person says something about a good thing that happened and you look around all the other Irish faces in the group and you can see the mind turning over, who'll be the first to bring it down again, who'll be the first to remember something shite ! Just take a deep breath and remember something good for a second or two.
drive for 5
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Donny B. wrote:
ceemec wrote:Nightmarish stuff. Aidan Kearney, God the man mountain. Saw him last week. He's only same age as BOD. I wouldn't let him play J2.
He was in the Ho Sho tonight actually.
I'd say you couldn't miss him!