Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bedlam9999
Learner

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by bedlam9999 »

desperado wrote:any rumours?
heard that jonny wilkinson won ERC player of the year, surely that cant be right
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

tate wrote:It seems to me that Ashton's biggest crime is being English, lots of Irish players do elaborate dives and pre-emptive celebrations - ROG, Heaslip and Earls have examples that spring to mind yet they get none of the stick. It may appear uncouth to some, but it's harmless and Ashton himself seems a decent fellow. Look at how he reacted to Tuilagi using him as a heavy bag. Certainly nowhere near Felon Armitage's level.
Absolutely. Ashton's a pr!*k when he dives but I saw one comment here that Kearney looked awesome diving into the corner. He didn't need to do it. Earls' swallow dive v Italy was OK because it was his birthday. Utter bullshit. Gerry Thornley is the worst offender.

No-one criticises Zebo for his celebrations in Ireland, or for the way he leaves his foot in when someone score - eg, BOD in Aviva.
No-one criticises Heaslip for his finger wagging, or the way he often throws himself on a player when the opposition guy scores.

Selective outrage.

And I agree with your other point - Ashton does come across as a decent bloke. Cocky and arrogant a little, but so what? A lot of Irish players are too. You remember the warm embrace he had for ROG after the 40-something phase of play that led to the DG. You do see that a few times from Ashton. I'd imagine he'll be a popular guy on tour, in the Josh Lewsey mould.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

suisse wrote:
tate wrote:It seems to me that Ashton's biggest crime is being English, lots of Irish players do elaborate dives and pre-emptive celebrations - ROG, Heaslip and Earls have examples that spring to mind yet they get none of the stick. It may appear uncouth to some, but it's harmless and Ashton himself seems a decent fellow. Look at how he reacted to Tuilagi using him as a heavy bag. Certainly nowhere near Felon Armitage's level.
Absolutely. Ashton's a pr!*k when he dives but I saw one comment here that Kearney looked awesome diving into the corner. He didn't need to do it. Earls' swallow dive v Italy was OK because it was his birthday. Utter bullshit. Gerry Thornley is the worst offender.

No-one criticises Zebo for his celebrations in Ireland, or for the way he leaves his foot in when someone score - eg, BOD in Aviva.
No-one criticises Heaslip for his finger wagging, or the way he often throws himself on a player when the opposition guy scores.

Selective outrage.

And I agree with your other point - Ashton does come across as a decent bloke. Cocky and arrogant a little, but so what? A lot of Irish players are too. You remember the warm embrace he had for ROG after the 40-something phase of play that led to the DG. You do see that a few times from Ashton. I'd imagine he'll be a popular guy on tour, in the Josh Lewsey mould.
Probably not so popular with the chambermaids of Australia though
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

suisse wrote:

Selective outrage.

Not a fan of this kind of stuff whoever does it. The thing about Armitage is that it's pretty much everything about him - swan dives, dirty and cynical digs/elbows and every time he opens his mouth he says something fockwitted. At London Irish he was totally disruptive ordering the coach where to play him and when - indeed sometimes it was pretty obvious that he didn't want to be there! He's just a pretty nasty individual.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

It really is a serious waste because if he had the correct attitude he could be a seriously useful player. As it stands, he's pretty damn good. But if his personality wasn't detrimental to any club, he'd be a very good addition. Can play anywhere from 11 - 15 and has a big boot on him for kicks at goal. Players like that are rare. As it stands, he's a thug on the field and a nasty little toe rag off it too judging by his latest Twitter activities.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

A lot of people are focusing on his wave at Parra but there were two other awful incidents that have slipped under the radar somewhat. The first was his hit on Parra. I know it was highlighted at the time but haven't heard much about it since.

The second was a late/high hit on Rougerie before James scored and he got in a bit of a scrap with him on the ground afterwards too.

I don't usually mind a bit of niggle but I've never seen him provoked into any of the incidents he's been involved in. He's a complete loose cannon and doesn't seem to ever show any remorse.

Hate the waving and he's completely devoid of class but imo the real issue is that he could seriously hurt someone one day. If he does then we'll look back at all he's done over the last few years and wonder how we let him play on for so long.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Good conduct at the disciplinary panels apparently. It seems he makes the tea and his mam bakes buns for the panel. What's not to like?
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

suisse wrote:
tate wrote:You do see that a few times from Ashton. I'd imagine he'll be a popular guy on tour, in the Josh Lewsey mould.
He'll be really popular because he isn't on the Lion's tour. Unless you're referring to England's tour to Argentina.
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

Big concerns around OBrien, some early indication suggests his Lions tour my be in jeopardy to.. So it certainly looks like he is out for Saturday
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Jaysus lads, agreed he's a snide p***k and is fond of a late hit and who cares what he puts up on twatter?

But the outrage in comparison to the excuses trotted out in support of the kick to the head DK got from from St Paulie is hilarious.

Is it because he's English?
3 Gold Stars
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

ror wrote:Big concerns around OBrien, some early indication suggests his Lions tour my be in jeopardy to.. So it certainly looks like he is out for Saturday
Do I not like the sound of this!!
elfan
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

ror wrote:Big concerns around OBrien, some early indication suggests his Lions tour my be in jeopardy to.. So it certainly looks like he is out for Saturday
Agh. One of these times I really hope you're wrong. Again, would hate to see him miss the Lions tour.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

elfan wrote:
Do I not like the sound of this!!
Hello, Graham Taylor...
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

He was really pissed off coming off on Friday - that's a terrible blow for us on Saturday and for him re the Lions.

Although a part of me thinks that the entire summer off would do the lad a lot of good.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

AdamK wrote:
Agh. One of these times I really hope you're wrong. Again, would hate to see him miss the Lions tour.
Didnt say he was going to miss the Lions Tour....
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

I was beside the dugout on Friday night as he was walking out at the final whistle and he was limping very noticeably so I'm not surprised by this news to be honest. I was waiting on some indication on the severity of his injury but I was worried looking at him.

Hopefully he recovers okay if not for Saturday night then at least to be able to tour with the Lions. Sean O' Brien has been magnificent for us for the last 4 years and I think he deserves to have the Lions accolade on his C.V.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

I'd rather he got a chance at a tour that only comes around every 4 years and represent us at it. Best player for Ireland in the 6N, would be an absolute shame if he didn't make the tour.

Regarding Saturday... Will he be that big of a loss? We've been coping fine without him the last few weeks when he's been nursing his calf. We've plenty of good backrow options chomping at the bit to get onto the field, so in terms of next Saturday I don't think we'll miss him as much as say Boss or Sexton being injured.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

ror wrote:
AdamK wrote:
Didnt say he was going to miss the Lions Tour....
No, but you said it may be in jeopardy? I'm just saying I hope not! :)
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

I thought he was struggling through out the game, maybe it was a policy not to compete at the breakdown, but I did not notice his normal presence on Friday.. He has been carrying a knock into the game and it looks like it has flared up again...
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Hopefully he sits out Saturday and the Lions physios work their magic sponge on his calf for a few weeks... No need for him in any of the early June games.