Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by JB1973 »

hugonaut wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:complete tangent but why were all the major London rugby clubs always called fancy names (officially) Wasps, Saracens, Harlequinns etc in an era and culture of non fancy names
Because they were all formed by ex-public schoolboys with a bit of education and imagination in the Victorian era, and not a bunch of marketing dopes. Most of them were essentially social clubs set up for a bit of fun by lads who wouldn't have been long out of boarding school and thus had names that would have been associated with Victorian adventure stories/tales of Empire/cr@p jokes.

We have our own set here – Wanderers, Corinthians, Buccaneers, Bective Rangers, [UL] Bohemians etc. UCC have a skull and cross-bones as their crest, which to me seems very piratical and old world.

There was an article on this very recently on Scrum.com : http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/233929.html – there were teams called the Gipsies, the Flamingoes, the Mohicans etc.

Long live the corinthian spirit, I say!

Buccaneers is alongside the barbarians the single greatest name for a rugby side ever :clap: :clap: :clap: .

How can you possibly play boring rugby with team with that name! Plus you have the added bonus of going out on the lash in your club blazer and tie and telling the ladies your a buccaneer. Sign me up!!!!
Flakey 16
Learner

Post by Flakey 16 »

Not much in the line of rumours here........
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

Ian Madigan is to be used as a fullback next season in preparation for the world cup.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

christy wrote:Ian Madigan is to be used as a fullback next season in preparation for the world cup.
Rob Kearney to retire and focus on being handsome fulltime?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Rhys Ruddock is being attached to a steel cable suspended from a crane and used to smash buildings in future.
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

That came directly from a player. Don't shoot the messenger
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Mine came from a pimpin' playa.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Mike McCarthy is only going to dress in this from now on:

leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

christy wrote:Ian Madigan is to be used as a fullback next season in preparation for the world cup.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
irishrugbyua
Learner

Post by irishrugbyua »

Sexton should be priority 1, 2 and 3.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

christy wrote:That came directly from a player. Don't shoot the messenger
if people came from monkeys why are there still monkeys???
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Flakey 16
Learner

Post by Flakey 16 »

irishrugbyua wrote:Sexton should be priority 1, 2 and 3.
This is actually the most factual post of late ! Oh and Ben Te'o at 12.... mark my words we would be lucky to get him..
irishrugbyua
Learner

Post by irishrugbyua »

i pray to god we don't get him.
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

elfan
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Ben Teo strikes me as a sort of Mafi signing. Strong as an ox, dirty, full of cheap shots, no rugby brain and really just an expensive waste of time. All straight line bish bash bosh. Once he is worked out i have a feeling moves will die when they reach him just like they did with Mafi.

I'd rather see Macken or McFadden used at 13. Give them a 12 month shot at it with no BOD pressure hanging over them.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Stuka wrote:Ben Teo strikes me as a sort of Mafi signing. Strong as an ox, dirty, full of cheap shots, no rugby brain and really just an expensive waste of time. All straight line bish bash bosh. Once he is worked out i have a feeling moves will die when they reach him just like they did with Mafi.

I'd rather see Macken or McFadden used at 13. Give them a 12 month shot at it with no BOD pressure hanging over them.
Have you seen much of him?

I can't comment as I've only seen YouTube clips and a few minutes of a SOO game.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Easy (and incorrect) to remember Mafi in such a way. In his first few seasons with Munster, he was excellent and arguably the top performing 12 in Europe. You don't last 6 years at a massive team by being poor.
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

wixfjord wrote:
Stuka wrote:Ben Teo strikes me as a sort of Mafi signing. Strong as an ox, dirty, full of cheap shots, no rugby brain and really just an expensive waste of time. All straight line bish bash bosh. Once he is worked out i have a feeling moves will die when they reach him just like they did with Mafi.

Have you seen much of him?

I can't comment as I've only seen YouTube clips and a few minutes of a SOO game.

Honestly not a huge amount. 3-4 games and good bit of highlights. He is a big strong abrasive ball carrier with a step. Great in RL, but that does not always travel to RU. Infact id say more often then not its success.
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

That report is the first time I've heard that Teo has been in Dublin. It says French clubs are also interested in him but doesn't say which ones which to me implies that Toulon, Racing or the other big spenders are not chasing him. It sounds like he's Leinster bound!
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ceemec wrote:Easy (and incorrect) to remember Mafi in such a way. In his first few seasons with Munster, he was excellent and arguably the top performing 12 in Europe. You don't last 6 years at a massive team by being poor.
Both camps are, in a way, right about Mafi. He was a limited player, but within those limits, if he had the right player beside him (which he did in both Halstead and Tipoki) extremely effective.
I have Bumbleflex