Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Even if we were allowed to sign an NIQ, hard to see anyone decent being available at this stage.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I'm talking about after this coming season, when both Kirchner,Nacewa and Triggs will be out of contract and, Gibson Park will be viewed as a Special Project Player. That leaves 3 NIQ spots.
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

erskinechilders wrote:Surely the IRFU will now force Ulster to get rid of a back or two? Ireland U20's best back, Stockade, is behind a log-jam of world class players up there and would, in my opinion, be pushing very very hard for a starting position for Leinster. Physically, more than ready anyway. He has already gone on record to say,

" I have a lot of aspirations for my career and I don’t want to be 24 or 25 and not starting for my club team,” says the Belfast Harlequins man.
Obviously, I’m going to try and do my best to push through at Ulster because that’s where I grew up. That’s the team I want to play for the most but at the same time, I do need to keep my options open and see what happens really."

After next season, cut Kirchner, make Nacewa part of the back room team, get Kelleher back from Connacht ( I know its a two year contract but where there's a will there's a way. ) Unless we recruit expensively we're in deep deep trouble. What international quality wingers are available?

If ever there was a case to be made to offer a development contract to a player directly from school, like the very man who's leaving us today, it was surely to Conor Nash, what an opportunity missed. Leinster, and more importantly, The PGB and Easterby, need to get their act together or we're in deep trouble.
I agree with all you say, I think if Nicufora is going to evenly apply pressure for players to move etc., then he should really be looking to get someone like Stockdale down to Dublin, because there's a massive opportunity for a young player to lock down a starting spot. With the exception of Nacewa (for one more season) and Rob (when on form, which is getting rarer), none of our established back-three are good enough to be first choice.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

erskinechilders wrote:I'm talking about after this coming season, when both Kirchner,Nacewa and Triggs will be out of contract and, Gibson Park will be viewed as a Special Project Player. That leaves 3 NIQ spots.
It was just a general comment, wasn't a reply to your post.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

As much as I think Luke was an amazing player he has always missed large chunks of every season so I don't think the 'crisis' is any bigger today as it was yesterday. That said I'm a glass half full guy. 8)
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

simonokeeffe wrote:Carr would be a disaster

Also have to factor in international call ups, injuries, and suspension (McFadden)

Half of those guys named have zero caps
That's a bit pessimistic, isn't it? In my estimation the main reason Carr is being cut by Connacht is that Lam wants to build a team that'll be together for a long time, and being 30 years old is counting against him a bit. He didn't exactly prosper under Schmidt's scripted approach, but maybe the Connacht coaches' work has made him a more rounded player. I thought he was pretty good when called upon in the second half of last season - that pass to send Healy through a hole to score against Grenoble was sumptuous. It's probably better to invest in existing options but Carr certainly merits consideration in my opinion
sunshiner1 wrote:As much as I think Luke was an amazing player he has always missed large chunks of every season so I don't think the 'crisis' is any bigger today as it was yesterday. That said I'm a glass half full guy. 8)
Good point. How much of the season would Luke actually be available for?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinsterforever wrote:In my estimation the main reason Carr is being cut by Connacht is that Lam wants to build a team that'll be together for a long time, and being 30 years old is counting against him a bit
Being a bit sh!t didn't help either.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:In my estimation the main reason Carr is being cut by Connacht is that Lam wants to build a team that'll be together for a long time, and being 30 years old is counting against him a bit
If Carr flopped here after being on fire in Connacht what chance of being on fire here after flopping on his return to Connacht?
Wont help age profile of back 3 either

Dont see Stockdale offering more than Keenan let alone Byrne

Think Conor Nash wanted to play AFL hence is playing AFL, not like he took academy deal elsewhere

Agree though we need a sexy back signing in 2017
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Yeah, but he's quick, he's fast, and he's got great pace
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:
How dare you speak of the Irish Rokocoko like that.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Carr had serious injury problems the last two seasons with a concussion nearly ending his career meaning he sank down the listings. He also wasn't as versitile as the likes of Danie Poolman who can play centre and wing so always got the bench spot ahead of him. He would also have being one of the top earners at Connacht. It was more financial that he was let go rather than anything else. If we were paying one of our top earners who has become a squad player we'd look to unload him to. Carr for a season would be a good piece of business.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Carr's not that good though. His greatest asset was his pace, but as he hits 30 will that be around for much longer? I think promoting an academy player would be better
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ah lads, are we really at the stage where we're saying getting Fionn Carr back in would be a good piece of business?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wixfjord wrote:Ah lads, are we really at the stage where we're saying getting Fionn Carr back in would be a good piece of business?
A. Desperation
B. Any player that leaves/we passed over doubles in quality, remember the Robin Copeland hype train?
3. Jamie Hagan

IMO Byrne offers more attacking threat, Morris would be more reliable, and Kelleher is the new Carr/Conway
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote: B. Any player that leaves/we passed over doubles in quality, remember the Robin Copeland hype train?
To be more precise, any player that leaves/we passed over simultaneously doubles in quality whilst becoming twice as sh!t as they were before they left at the same time as being kicked out and we didn't really want them anyway but really wish they'd come back
I have Bumbleflex
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

If Byrne and Dardis do not offer more then Carr then what is the point in any of this?

If we get desperate during the season because of injuries/Irish players away we can turn to an inform AIL player for a game or two. I would prefer that scenario then having Carr on the books full time as that is a crutch like we had with Fanning that might be used to much. Sink or swim for the future superstars of Irish rugby.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: B. Any player that leaves/we passed over doubles in quality, remember the Robin Copeland hype train?
To be more precise, any player that leaves/we passed over simultaneously doubles in quality whilst becoming twice as sh!t as they were before they left at the same time as being kicked out and we didn't really want them anyway but really wish they'd come back
Very true.

Although I will say that given that we signed Ian Nagle (and Isa after his break) I wouldn't rule ANYONE out.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Leinster probably spent years drunkenly texting Carr at 2am

What wing will we sign thats been on a break :D ? Shane Monahan? Honey Badger?

Had to laugh at sportsjoe.ie on Beirne

"Leinster lose promising Irish lock to Welsh rivals" wouldnt call them rivals and we'd already released him

"In recent seasons, Leinster lost Mick Kearney to Connacht but he returned after picking up vital game time"
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

leinsterforever wrote:
Fireworks wrote:We need a signing now. This is now an emergency situation. Even with Luke we would have needed cover for the centre and some extra spark for the back 3 now it is even more critical.
There's a bit of a lack of quality/experience, but I think there are enough bodies. We're looking at something like:

15: R. Kearney, Kirchner, Dardis, Power
14: D. Kearney, McFadden, O'Loughlin
13: Ringrose, Reid, C. O'Brien
12: Henshaw, Daly, J. O'Brien
11: Nacewa, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Keenan

The majority of those wingers can play right or left wing, McFadden can fill in at centre, and Reid could potentially cover wing as well as centre.

With Nacewa and Kirchner in situ, the Union is hardly going to allow an NIQ signing, and there might not be too many quality imports available anyway, so I guess it comes down to whether bringing in Fionn Carr or Niall Morris would be a good move
When average injury rates and international call ups are taken into consideration there is neither enough bodies or enough quality. I would also be shocked if the powers above were happy just having enough bodies.

As others have dealt with already Carr is a ship that sailed. I would wish him well and think he could be a good signing for some English clubs but we need real top drawer quality or we should keep the money in our pockets. I do not know about Morris but I am sure that a decent scouting operation must have a few targets in mind at every level of experience. Another Isa would be perfect.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Arise sir Lote
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan