Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by Dirk Stickler »

For god’s sake he’s an 8 year old in Australia. Just leave him be.

Did you ever think that maybe he’s playing with his mates? Moving him up 3 years to playing with lads his own size might not actually be that nice for a child.

Yes, he’s smashing lads out of the way but there were always big lads who did that. I imagine Julian Savea didn’t suddenly start knocking people down in his teens.

That may put some kids off playing but as has been pointed out before it’d be up to a parent to figure that out with their own 9 year old.

As for his development, don’t worry about it. He might never play for the Wallabies (or Ireland after 3 years at Munster) but he’s having a great old time.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

I couldn't give a fiddlers if he's playing with his mates. It's dangerous and having parents and coaches on the sideline laughing at the opposition as they get swatted aside is pathetic.

In NZ he'd be playing against lad his own size
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Irish underage Rugby is blighted by lots of things and has been for years. Mostly by the Mummys Darling Brigade. I played underage for Skerries in the late 80's and early 90's. We had a decent team and won more then we lost at the time. Toward the end of my time there we got a few parents in that demanded that their little darlings who were shiiitttt and couldn't tackle or pass be afforded the same amount of playing time as everyone else. This ruined it for me at the time because all i wanted to do was win games. I didnt care if little Butterfingers or Little Turnsytle felt left out. I see the same thing now at games. Lads that obviously dont want to play or worse they just cant play shoehorned into teams just to make them feel part of it. No wonder we never beat the bleeding All Blacks.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Stuka wrote:Irish underage Rugby is blighted by lots of things and has been for years. Mostly by the Mummys Darling Brigade. I played underage for Skerries in the late 80's and early 90's. We had a decent team and won more then we lost at the time. Toward the end of my time there we got a few parents in that demanded that their little darlings who were shiiitttt and couldn't tackle or pass be afforded the same amount of playing time as everyone else. This ruined it for me at the time because all i wanted to do was win games. I didnt care if little Butterfingers or Little Turnsytle felt left out. I see the same thing now at games. Lads that obviously dont want to play or worse they just cant play shoehorned into teams just to make them feel part of it. No wonder we never beat the bleeding All Blacks.
Fine balance at underage level between competing and just having fun/getting some exercise. You can't exclude cr@p kids. I would say big schools are at an advantage in this regard, because they have 4-6 or even more teams per
year at times. Everyone can play at their own level.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GavinSydney
Beginner

Post by GavinSydney »

I've a young lad here in Sydney and when he gets older he'll be playing Auskick (Aussie Rules) unless weight-over-age rules are brought into rugby. It is likely that they will be brought in soon, there is a big review of underage rugby going on.

Kids of Pacific Island descent are generally a lot bigger. It is not doing them any favours (no need to improve skills if you can outmuscle your opposition) and it is a deterrent to parents of smaller kids. It is killing Rugby League as an underage sport in NSW (every cloud!).

I do sympathise with kids who will be put in with an older age group though. No real easy answer.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Stuka wrote:Irish underage Rugby is blighted by lots of things and has been for years. Mostly by the Mummys Darling Brigade. I played underage for Skerries in the late 80's and early 90's. We had a decent team and won more then we lost at the time. Toward the end of my time there we got a few parents in that demanded that their little darlings who were shiiitttt and couldn't tackle or pass be afforded the same amount of playing time as everyone else. This ruined it for me at the time because all i wanted to do was win games. I didnt care if little Butterfingers or Little Turnsytle felt left out. I see the same thing now at games. Lads that obviously dont want to play or worse they just cant play shoehorned into teams just to make them feel part of it. No wonder we never beat the bleeding All Blacks.
And attitudes like that are why a lot of kids give up on sports far earlier than they ever should. :happy clapper:
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

And attitudes like that are why a lot of kids give up on sports far earlier than they ever should
+1
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

waterboy wrote:I couldn't give a fiddlers if he's playing with his mates. It's dangerous and having parents and coaches on the sideline laughing at the opposition as they get swatted aside is pathetic.

In NZ he'd be playing against lad his own size
The fact that you couldn't give a "fiddlers" about an 8 year getting to play with his friends is quite telling, to be honest.

You’d lose kids who are forced to play with older kids, just like you’d lose those who are too small for their own age group and end up playing with younger kids. I assume you wouldn’t care about that either.

In spite of the NZ system (those kiwis, wow they’re so great), there clearly isn’t a simple solution.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Dirk Stickler wrote:The fact that you couldn't give a "fiddlers" about an 8 year getting to play with his friends is quite telling, to be honest.
BECAUSE ITS DANGEROUS.
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

Logorrhea wrote:
Dirk Stickler wrote:The fact that you couldn't give a "fiddlers" about an 8 year getting to play with his friends is quite telling, to be honest.
BECAUSE ITS DANGEROUS.
It's a fundamentally dangerous sport.
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

molloyjh wrote:
And attitudes like that are why a lot of kids give up on sports far earlier than they ever should. :happy clapper:

Everyone should get a chance to play but not in mixed ability. Its not fair on kids that are decent players.
Dirk Stickler
Bookworm

Post by Dirk Stickler »

Stuka wrote:
molloyjh wrote:

Everyone should get a chance to play but not in mixed ability. Its not fair on kids that are decent players.
Is this a wind up? Everyone should get to play but not the sh!t kids?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Dirk Stickler wrote:It's a fundamentally dangerous sport.
you're right. you win.
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Its not a wind up. Whats the point in playing people that are totally out of their depth? The coaches should have been allowed to not select them but were forced by the Mummies and Daddies who thought their hams for hands kid deserved to play regardless. There was no earning of a place in the teams anymore. I found it massively frustrating as a kid and i stopped playing for Skerries at U12.

It wasnt fair on the poor b$&%@#ds that got picked event though they were sh!t either. They knew they were sh!t, they knew they would make mistakes and we let them know about it. I played sports not just to take part but to win. Winning was everything. It was the reward for effort. I didnt get a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart watching some lad fall off tackles and drop balls.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I didnt get a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart watching some lad fall off tackles and drop balls.
that sentiment you would expect from a pre-pubescent, but it's good to see that after a couple of decades of life experience that you're over it now.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Back on subject, with another Leinster back sadly retiring to injury, could a Leinster sign somebody?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Fred Funk wrote:Back on subject, with another Leinster back sadly retiring to injury, could a Leinster sign somebody?
Theyd have to be IQ. I'd theyll make do unless theres more serious injuries

In opposite direction Dippy has to be off now (of his own volition)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Connacht and Munster were allowed sign NIQ injury replacements - what, or more accurately who, is stopping us doing similar?
I have Bumbleflex
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Well we already have two NIQ outside backs so that's probably why we'd be blocked from signing another? We do look light on cover out wide though. Might allow some of the younger guys some of us feel have been underplayed to get some game time (at least in comparison to young outside backs, at, say, Ulster). O'Loughlin, Dardis, A.Byrne etc.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Connacht and Munster were allowed sign NIQ injury replacements - what, or more accurately who, is stopping us doing similar?
If we make a planned signing theyll have to be IQ

Medical joker time and its iffy/depends on circumstance
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon