Rumour Mill

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

John23
Enlightened

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by John23 »

Oldschool wrote:Don't agree with pinching other provinces players unless they want to export them and we want to import them.
Connacht have been growing their fan base.
This is because a lot of young talent has started to come thru.
Take away their star attractions and all that hard work will be for nothing. That is bad for Irish rugby.
It can also make other provinces lazy or less optimal in their development of the next generation if an attitude
pervades whereby "Ah sure we can rob Connacht's best if we get it wrong"

I am with OS on this one. Really not good for Irish Rugby if this goes through.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

It's wrong that the other provinces raid Connacht for their best players but it's just the reality. As others have said, it's probably going to happen regardless, and I'd rather us get him than Munster (and I think the Leinster culture and set-up would enable him to become a better player than if he went South).

Any swap deal for Madigan won't happen, because if Madigan's to leave he can command good money in France - can't see him ever acquiescing to a move to Connacht.

I'd say this is likely to happen when his contract runs out in the Summer of 2016. Possibly Marmion too, to Leinster or Ulster as Pienaar enters his last season.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

I would not be happy if Leinster poached Henshaw for next season. As others have said it would have a detrimental affect on the Connacht squad and the support they are building. I had no problem signing Cronin, Hagan, Carr or McCarthy as they were not home grown Connacht players and in some cases were returning to their home province and looking to play at a higher level. But to take a home grown International talent like Henshaw away mid contract would be deeply unfair to Connacht's squad, fans and coaches. They deserve better having fought for equal status and worked there way up the table than to be shafted when a real gem appears. The same applies for Marmion. Connacht have done a great job in recent years in bringing players through and this work should not be undone by the other provinces poaching talent to fill gaps in their own squads.

It would be a different story if Hensahw or Marmion finished their contracts and make it known they are keen for a move to further their own careers. In that case Leinster would be crazy not to try and sign either player as they become free.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Henshaw and especially Marmion would not have played half as much if they were with any of the other provinces. In fact - whatever about Henshaw, I'm not sure Marmion would be in the Irish squad if he weren't at Connacht and had the chance to string so many games together.

Moving shouldn't be a straightforward decision for either of them
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The Doc wrote:Henshaw and especially Marmion would not have played half as much if they were with any of the other provinces. In fact - whatever about Henshaw, I'm not sure Marmion would be in the Irish squad if he weren't at Connacht and had the chance to string so many games together.

Moving shouldn't be a straightforward decision for either of them
Very true, but now they are ripe for the picking.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

We are going to have to start calling you "Leinster uber alles"

"Over everything on the world"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote:We are going to have to start calling you "Leinster uber alles"

"Over everything on the world"

Truly the nicest thing anyone has ever posted about me on this site.
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 15,00.html

Rupeni Caucau released.

We could do worse then throw a few bucks at this guy, we already have pissed away a lot on Tuquiri and Kirchners uselessness combined, fat and unfit as he probably is, he could add something (other then the aimless hoofing we currently possess in our back three).
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinster4life13 wrote:http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 15,00.html

Rupeni Caucau released.

We could do worse then throw a few bucks at this guy, we already have pissed away a lot on Tuquiri and Kirchners uselessness combined, fat and unfit as he probably is, he could add something (other then the aimless hoofing we currently possess in our back three).
Ah, the game is up for Caucau. If this was 2009, he was 29 and he was getting released from Agen for the first time, it'd be an interesting pick-up, but he's 34 and has taken brutal care of himself over the years. It'd be sad.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Rugby is now popular and topical. Kimmage feeds off the controversial. He has Rugby, seen as clean and wholesome, in his sights. Soon he'll be calling us all Egyptians.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:Rugby is now popular and topical. Kimmage feeds off the controversial. He has Rugby, seen as clean and wholesome, in his sights. Soon he'll be calling us all Egyptians.
wrong thread?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
leinster4life13
Mullet

hugonaut wrote:
leinster4life13 wrote:http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 15,00.html

Rupeni Caucau released.

Ah, the game is up for Caucau. If this was 2009, he was 29 and he was getting released from Agen for the first time, it'd be an interesting pick-up, but he's 34 and has taken brutal care of himself over the years. It'd be sad.
He could not be worse then Kirchner or Lote if he's on under 80-90k for the rest of the season. Even at Pro 12 level, he might show something, although yeah it could be sad if he is truly banjoed, still would rather see anyone but Kirchner at FB and we need another wing, hell, he can even play in the center he did a job for Toulouse a while back.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Could do an Ngawini on it and offer him a four week trial. If he shows the appetite (no jokes..) to get back in in any way reasonable shape, there's little to lose in giving him a short-term deal. He can hardly command a huge salary anymore.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

and what happens when he decides to go on a 3 week session on Inisboffin in the middle of the six nations?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:and what happens when he decides to go on a 3 week session on Inisboffin in the middle of the six nations?
3 weeks of KFC on Skellig Michael is as likely.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Jesus lads, surely we'd have to find the guy first before offering him anything. That in itself could take the rest of the season....
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Much wants more

If my team had so many proven international wingers all at the prime of their careers, McFadden, D Kearney, Kirchener, Luke Fitz (a bit like Annie, next week is only a week away) wing would not be a concern. Added to that you have Fanning probably Leinster's player of the season so far and also at the prime of his career.
This doesn't take into account the abundance of outstanding wings in the squad and in the Academy such as MCGrath, Coghlan-Murray, Adam Byrne, Kelliher, , etc etc.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

All Blacks nil wrote:Much wants more

If my team had so many proven international wingers all at the prime of their careers, McFadden, D Kearney, Kirchener, Luke Fitz (a bit like Annie, next week is only a week away) wing would not be a concern. Added to that you have Fanning probably Leinster's player of the season so far and also at the prime of his career.
This doesn't take into account the abundance of outstanding wings in the squad and in the Academy such as MCGrath, Coghlan-Murray, Adam Byrne, Kelliher, , etc etc.
Yeah we are well stocked in the back 3. What we need to be looking at is half backs and centres. Te'o will hopefully come good, but will Mads/Reid be able to work at 12 the way we're playing? And with Reddan, Sexton and Mads likely out for a large portion of next season who will our half-backs be?
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

molloyjh wrote:

Yeah we are well stocked in the back 3. What we need to be looking at is half backs and centres. Te'o will hopefully come good, but will Mads/Reid be able to work at 12 the way we're playing? And with Reddan, Sexton and Mads likely out for a large portion of next season who will our half-backs be?
Surely Cathal Marsh and Ross Byrne are considered good enough to be number 3 and 4 choice outhalfs. Boss and McGrath should be able to mind the house while Redser is away. Is there any scrumhalf in the Academy?

Incidentally it may have escaped your notice, certainly I didn't see it mentioned on this site, but Munster's replacement Scrumhalf on Friday night was Sean Cronin's kid brother James.
leinster4life13
Mullet

Caucau would give us a back three option and a center option which we are short of quality in, in terms of FB and center. He did a job for toulouse at 12/13 and can play 15. Kirchner is dire, I havent played 15 since schools and have zero kicking game but I would back myself to run it back with more power and intent and cause some damage, he is useless. I think we need a center option(Madigan is wasted there and Te'o is injured) and full back cover as Kirchner is duff, he is available and was good once, bring him in on a trial, pay him in KFC and we are good to go.