Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Rumour Mill

Post by Oldschool »

jimbobjoe wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Here's looking at yews :evil:
?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yew
Thanks for the info but I have a lovely one growing in my front garden.
So I'm pretty well informed on yews :evil:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote:so what role would you give him?

Good question. If I’d had a solid answer I would have said it.

Promotion within the Leinster setup would be good. Expand his role with the As and get him working more with Stu for when we lose Stu.

Munster and Ireland both are at good times for development and have coaching changes.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

johng wrote:I hear that the pro 14 unions have gone into serious negotiations with cvc partners for a 30% stake in the league. This would also open the door for the previously rumoured buy in to the 6 nations which may be their ultimate goal.

The normally loaded English RFU are in financial trouble this deal could deliver the rest of the unions bar France.

Not sure what it would mean for the provinces but it could hit us fans in the wallet if they decide to put up ticket prices.

I'd say that the carrot for the Unions is probably that CVC are promising to squeeze more money out of overseas markets for the current game
Only because I believe that conspiracy is the 'normal' mode of sports investment, I can't help but wonder about the investment by CVC Partners in strategic advisory firm Teneo (announced after the close of business on Friday and quietly hiding in the business page of Saturday's IT). CVC Partners acquired all of the large minority stake of BC Partners, who took a big stake in Teneo 4 years ago and are said to have exited with a nice turn on their money. CVC went one step further than BCP and acquired sufficient of the key Executives shareholding to give themselves a full majority stake >50%.

Teneo are one of the high profile CEO -advisor firms, who figure in lots of major Mergers & Acquisitions and make large fees advising the key executives on the right strategic moves. They have swallowed up other firms in the field at a very quick rate since foundation about 7 years ago by Declan Kelly, former Clinton family adviser and brother of former Irish Government Minister Alan Kelly (Lab).

One of the rumoured strategies by Teneo is trying to ensure that key Executives get a proportionate slice of any profit which is enjoyed by the equity holders, or owners, in any merger or acquisition. This is a relatively new strategy, recently evident in publicly-quoted businesses, but very important to the main men who make such deals happen.

Of particular interest to me is the fact that one of Teneo's senior advisers in Ireland for the past four years is one Brian O'Driscoll and one of Teneo's major clients in its Irish Company's Sports Business since 2015 is....the IRFU. There is of course no confirmation that they remain a client of Teneo.

So that's alright then. No evident conflicts of interest here. Certainly, CVC will not be asking the key executives of its new investment, what discussions they may have been having with its client, Irish Rugby. They certainly would not be seeking any access to advice that Teneo may have given about the strategic positioning of Irish Rugby, in the light of new aggressive investment in the UK Premiership Rugby by a Venture Capital / Private Equity Fund. They wouldn't, would they?

CVC Partners are only interested in financial gain. They have targeted sports as one of their key investment areas. They have no interest in the intrinsic growth or welfare in the sports in which they invest. Spectators and the "trustees" of the sports which they target are the inevitable losers, when CVC target a sport. Their track record demonstrates this.

They sell the dream to Sports Administrators " Sell us a Stake and we'll grow your Sport's audience. We'll only benefit from the new surplus funds we generate. This is a Win-Win for all parties".

In the world of big financial investment, there is no such thing as Win - Win. Ask the Cities Councils around the World who have had joint ventures with CVC Partners in staging Formula One races. The only winners, after the event, have been CVC Partners.

The IRFU must disclose their negotiations with CVC Partners in respect of the PRO14 & 6 Nations. Claims of "Confidentiality Clauses" are nonsense where you are negotiating to sell something you don't own. The IRFU are in this instance a Trustee of Irish Provincial Rugby teams like Leinster. As Trustee, at worst, they should be consulting fully with Leinster Rugby Clubs, who own the only Franchise in the Pro14, in any country, which has always generated a surplus. At best, they should be declining to continue discussions with CVC.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
johng wrote:I hear that the pro 14 unions have gone into serious negotiations with cvc partners for a 30% stake in the league. This would also open the door for the previously rumoured buy in to the 6 nations which may be their ultimate goal.

The normally loaded English RFU are in financial trouble this deal could deliver the rest of the unions bar France.

Not sure what it would mean for the provinces but it could hit us fans in the wallet if they decide to put up ticket prices.

I'd say that the carrot for the Unions is probably that CVC are promising to squeeze more money out of overseas markets for the current game
Only because I believe that conspiracy is the 'normal' mode of sports investment, I can't help but wonder about the investment by CVC Partners in strategic advisory firm Teneo (announced after the close of business on Friday and quietly hiding in the business page of Saturday's IT). CVC Partners acquired all of the large minority stake of BC Partners, who took a big stake in Teneo 4 years ago and are said to have exited with a nice turn on their money. CVC went one step further than BCP and acquired sufficient of the key Executives shareholding to give themselves a full majority stake >50%.

Teneo are one of the high profile CEO -advisor firms, who figure in lots of major Mergers & Acquisitions and make large fees advising the key executives on the right strategic moves. They have swallowed up other firms in the field at a very quick rate since foundation about 7 years ago by Declan Kelly, former Clinton family adviser and brother of former Irish Government Minister Alan Kelly (Lab).

One of the rumoured strategies by Teneo is trying to ensure that key Executives get a proportionate slice of any profit which is enjoyed by the equity holders, or owners, in any merger or acquisition. This is a relatively new strategy, recently evident in publicly-quoted businesses, but very important to the main men who make such deals happen.

Of particular interest to me is the fact that one of Teneo's senior advisers in Ireland for the past four years is one Brian O'Driscoll and one of Teneo's major clients in its Irish Company's Sports Business since 2015 is....the IRFU. There is of course no confirmation that they remain a client of Teneo.

So that's alright then. No evident conflicts of interest here. Certainly, CVC will not be asking the key executives of its new investment, what discussions they may have been having with its client, Irish Rugby. They certainly would not be seeking any access to advice that Teneo may have given about the strategic positioning of Irish Rugby, in the light of new aggressive investment in the UK Premiership Rugby by a Venture Capital / Private Equity Fund. They wouldn't, would they?

CVC Partners are only interested in financial gain. They have targeted sports as one of their key investment areas. They have no interest in the intrinsic growth or welfare in the sports in which they invest. Spectators and the "trustees" of the sports which they target are the inevitable losers, when CVC target a sport. Their track record demonstrates this.

They sell the dream to Sports Administrators " Sell us a Stake and we'll grow your Sport's audience. We'll only benefit from the new surplus funds we generate. This is a Win-Win for all parties".

In the world of big financial investment, there is no such thing as Win - Win. Ask the Cities Councils around the World who have had joint ventures with CVC Partners in staging Formula One races. The only winners, after the event, have been CVC Partners.

The IRFU must disclose their negotiations with CVC Partners in respect of the PRO14 & 6 Nations. Claims of "Confidentiality Clauses" are nonsense where you are negotiating to sell something you don't own. The IRFU are in this instance a Trustee of Irish Provincial Rugby teams like Leinster. As Trustee, at worst, they should be consulting fully with Leinster Rugby Clubs, who own the only Franchise in the Pro14, in any country, which has always generated a surplus. At best, they should be declining to continue discussions with CVC.
+1
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

Can we gat a tldr please??
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

No.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Can we gat a tldr please??
Purple monkey dishwasher! Literally, purple monkey dishwasher.

But not really
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote:

But not really
Everything based on statements of fact made by one or other of the relevant parties. It's complex, but then so are many plans that involve taking control of anything which the majority consider is in public ownership.

The conclusions might come from Mr Burns, but there're still legitimate queries from anybody interested in the future of successful Leinster rugby.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
paddyor wrote:

But not really
Everything based on statements of fact made by one or other of the relevant parties. It's complex, but then so are many plans that involve taking control of anything which the majority consider is in public ownership.

The conclusions might come from Mr Burns, but there're still legitimate queries from anybody interested in the future of successful Leinster rugby.
So there is:
1: a conflict of interest that CVC have bought Teneo who have in the past advised the IRFU.
2: a rumoured strategy to directly reward executives in the event of a merger or acquisition
C: Leinster rugby should be consulted before any binding decisions are made

I have to agree
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

The Munster Branch Annual General Meeting took place at Tralee RFC on Wednesday night with club representatives from around the province in attendance.
Mike Keane was elected Munster Rugby President with more details here.

The financial accounts for year ending June 30, 2018 showed a cash-flow deficit of €920K which was in line with the figures forecasted at last year’s AGM.

The current financial projections for year ending 30th June 2019 estimate a similar cash-flow deficit of €995K for the season.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/06/13/ ... 1509635139
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

EDIT: deleted
Anyone But New Zealand
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

some internet talk that greg mcwilliams is a target for munster, would hate to see him coaching there and not at leinster.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by mildlyinterested

some internet talk that greg mcwilliams is a target for munster, would hate to see him coaching there and not at leinster.
Would be an interesting signing. Would be good to bring him back into the Irish System.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

mildlyinterested wrote:some internet talk that greg mcwilliams is a target for munster, would hate to see him coaching there and not at leinster.
He has built up so much experience now where would he fit in (for us)? I think he has moved past an A or Academy role.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

OTT wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:some internet talk that greg mcwilliams is a target for munster, would hate to see him coaching there and not at leinster.
He has built up so much experience now where would he fit in (for us)? I think he has moved past an A or Academy role.
agreed, dont really think there is a role for him at the moment.. still would hate to see him coaching munster.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Shaun Edwards rumoured as Defence Coach for France alongside Galthie, Ibanez, Servat & Labit from next Season. This is the Ticket targeted at the Webb Ellis trophy in France in 2023. Money no object is the word from the FFR (and their Sponsors). All are agreed that the time is right and money will be found for the preparation of the L'equipe de la France
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Shaun Edwards rumoured as Defence Coach for France alongside Galthie, Ibanez, Servat & Labit from next Season. This is the Ticket targeted at the Webb Ellis trophy in France in 2023. Money no object is the word from the FFR (and their Sponsors). All are agreed that the time is right and money will be found for the preparation of the L'Equipe de la France
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

If Leinster were to make a signing between now and the start of the next season [or even the end of the World Cup], what position should it be in?
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

hugonaut wrote:If Leinster were to make a signing between now and the start of the next season [or even the end of the World Cup], what position should it be in?
Hooker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

artaneboy wrote:
hugonaut wrote:If Leinster were to make a signing between now and the start of the next season [or even the end of the World Cup], what position should it be in?
Hooker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too. I'm a fan of James Tracy, because he will do every bit of work you'd ask of him. But there's a big gap between himself and Cronin. Then there was that strange turn of events right at the end of the season when he was dropped out of the matchday squad completely for the Pro14 knock-out games in favour of Bryan Byrne.

Tracy averaged 24mins+/European game [playing in all nine] ... then he was dropped completely. Seemed harsh and unwise to me. Bryan Byrne is another guy with a good attitude and work ethic who you'd have to go way out of your way to dislike, but he has only started 7 first class games in his Leinster career [7+35] as he approaches 26 years old. He's obviously not really pushing Tracy in the eyes of the coaches.