Mike McCarthy will join Leinster next season

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Mike McCarthy will join Leinster next season

Post by tackle-bag »

Sears has weighed in again:- http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/provincia ... nsfer-row/

He's flying dangerously close to the sun by effectively saying 'Joe's lying but we respect him nonetheless'. As I stated in a lengthy post above, I don't agree with this signing one bit, but Connacht's administration have really undermined their position with histrionics.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Golf Man wrote: whil PB is probably a bit over teh top on this you are being just as selective. Leinster lost a solid NIQ prop in White and got what seems like a solid IQ prop in Bent - I'd prefr the IQ option myself - in any case its pretty even - the point in bold is the most important from a Connacht point of view - and is being missed by a lot of posters. If for example Ulster were able to offer huge money to some of teh Leinster guys to jump ship how would you feel about Sexton, Heaslip, Healy< Fitz all moved north - thats the equivalent
We got Bent because we went out and found him after we were only allowed sign White on a one season dead. The IRFU had nothing to do with finding him, we looked after ourselves. It would have been better for us if we kept the proven player in White but because of IRFU politics we were forced to cut him loose and the IRFU funded a big contract for him with Connacht. Bent looks a decent replacement so far but whether he's as good as White is still open to debate. In any case, Connacht were the beneficiaries of all this but you never hear about it, it's always "Leinster done took ur players".

As for the offers of big money, that hasn't happened and won't happen because of the protocols, so your point is utterly irrelevant.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

This is the kind of cr@p that's going to prevent Connacht from being a top club for the foreseeable future. The week of a crucial game for Connacht and their CEO feels it's in the best interests of his team to start this media storm. Not only is it going to distract Connacht from their preparations, it's obviously going to have a profound impact on Mike McCarthy and how he's feeling at the moment.

I understand Sears is frustrated, or angry, but if he had any cop on he'd have held his fire 'til next week, or at least 'til after the Biarritz game.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Donny B. wrote:
Sea_point wrote:
Frankly going to France would be way more preferable than Macca coming to the Sportsground in the jersey of another Province, Leinster or otherwise. There'll be a little bit of sick coming into Connacht supporters mouths the first he wears Leinster Blue and probably every time that happens, and as I said earlier it would be exactly the same for you guys if BO'D showed up a few years back at the RDS in a Munster/Ulster jersey.

As for Leinster supporters downplaying the connection between Connacht & Macca, frankly you (as a group) haven't a clue. Most had no idea about MCarthy apart from chinning Leo a few seasons back and then taking notice again after getting his first Cap. Galway isn't Dublin, it's tiny by comparison and Macca is a very much well known and loved character around the town. He's the Donnacha O'Callaghan of the Squad, but just a little bit brighter (ok a lot... :wink: )

Well you might prefer him to go to France so you don't have to see him back there again and spare your hurty feelings, but is that "for the good of Irish rugby" (with is nearly a Sears trademark at this stage) if Ireland loses control of one of it's starting players? Would probably kill his international career too. If you love him that much is that what you'd want for him?

Leinster had a player come to us as a little known journeyman in Stan Wright, and he became a great player with us and was a hugely popular character with the fans. But after a few years he got a better offer and he moved on. We weren't crazy about it but we got over it. That's professional rugby I'm afraid.
If the option was Macca going to our Interpro opponents and being capped by Ireland or going to France for a tidier sum and maybe not playing for Ireland. The latter every time. Kidney and the IRFU can go pleasure themselves frankly.

The good of Irish Rugby my hole, come on seriously don't be giving me that old blarney :lol:. McCarthy's move has nothing to do with Ireland and everything to do with Leinsters's forwards coach inability to develop the next generation of second rows.

Eh Stan? You didn't lose him, that is just pure nonsense. The Cook Island international was surplus to requirements because you were taking Mike Ross from Quins. Easy to "get over it" when you can just purchase up...... ;-)
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Jarhead wrote:In addition, I don't actually rate McCarthy. Granted he's played well in the last few months, but I'd be confident that won't last and he return to the usual cheap shot, holding players off the ball, not-doing-much gameplan that we've come to know over the last few years.

Haha, good one. You do realise you've just described Leo...?
:grin:

Again shows how little Leinster supporters have being paying attention. McCarthy has been incredibly consistent for us over last four seasons...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Amz wrote:This is the kind of cr@p that's going to prevent Connacht from being a top club for the foreseeable future. The week of a crucial game for Connacht and their CEO feels it's in the best interests of his team to start this media storm. Not only is it going to distract Connacht from their preparations, it's obviously going to have a profound impact on Mike McCarthy and how he's feeling at the moment.

I understand Sears is frustrated, or angry, but if he had any cop on he'd have held his fire 'til next week, or at least 'til after the Biarritz game.
Actually it was that tosser Thornley who threw the first grenade late Tuesday/ early Wednesday morning getting an exclusive for the IT online. Sears was forced to release a statement as a consequence once the Connacht office opened. What was he supposed to say? Thanks Leinster & the IRFU?
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Are you suggesting that the comments he made were in the best interests of Connacht rugby, in the week of a crucial Heineken Cup game?

You don't think he could have give a better response, or a PFO to Thornley and then given him all of the inflammatory statements he wanted to, next week.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

How can Sears be talking about the good of Irish rugby and trying to start a huge provincial poohfight at the same time? Now he's trying to bring the IRFU into the mess and complain about their protocols. Does he have a career-death wish?

Leinster lost White, we signed Bent. We lost Elsom, we promoted McLaughlin (and O'Brien). We lost Stan Wright, we signed van der Merwe. Ulster lost Botha, they signed Afoa. You have bad days as well as good, but you get on with it rather than blaming everyone else.

Losing players is part of the game, it's an opportunity for the other lads. Ulster went out and let Humphreys go to rely on an inexperienced Jackson. But it'll stand to them, what do Connacht want: a chance or excuses?
Jarhead
Learner

Post by Jarhead »

[/quote] Eh Stan? You didn't lose him, that is just pure nonsense. The Cook Island international was surplus to requirements because you were taking Mike Ross from Quins. Easy to "get over it" when you can just purchase up...... ;-) [/quote]

Please do your research before spouting idiocies... Mike Ross was already at Leinster before Stan left. See 2011 Heineken Cup Final. Surely you remember it? It was the greatest day in Connacht's history.

Stan left because he was offered a 3yr deal on much better money by SF much the same as Felipe 2yrs previously.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Donny B. wrote:
Golf Man wrote: whil PB is probably a bit over teh top on this you are being just as selective. Leinster lost a solid NIQ prop in White and got what seems like a solid IQ prop in Bent - I'd prefr the IQ option myself - in any case its pretty even - the point in bold is the most important from a Connacht point of view - and is being missed by a lot of posters. If for example Ulster were able to offer huge money to some of teh Leinster guys to jump ship how would you feel about Sexton, Heaslip, Healy< Fitz all moved north - thats the equivalent
We got Bent because we went out and found him after we were only allowed sign White on a one season dead. The IRFU had nothing to do with finding him, we looked after ourselves. It would have been better for us if we kept the proven player in White but because of IRFU politics we were forced to cut him loose and the IRFU funded a big contract for him with Connacht. Bent looks a decent replacement so far but whether he's as good as White is still open to debate. In any case, Connacht were the beneficiaries of all this but you never hear about it, it's always "Leinster done took ur players".

As for the offers of big money, that hasn't happened and won't happen because of the protocols, so your point is utterly irrelevant.
By we, you mean your Kiwi coaching ticket?

On the money front I'm inclined to believe a provincial CEO regardless of province has a better understanding than a coach.

By the way what has yours said? ;-)
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

ronk wrote:
Leinster lost White, we signed Bent.

We lost Elsom, we promoted McLaughlin (and O'Brien).

We lost Stan Wright, we signed van der Merwe.

Ulster lost Botha, they signed Afoa.
You had signed Bent and let White go because you didn't need a 30+ NIQ backup TH ....

Elsom was only ever coming on a one year deal, you did not lose him. You had him on a one year loan from the ARU effectively.

You signed Ross and let Stan go.

Botha was let go because he was constantly injured, there isn't a single Ulster fan would say they lost him. Who got the better deal consequently btw?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Sears appears to not have grasped a number of key concepts for the CEO of a professional sports organisation like free agency, reading a calendar or the abolition of slavery act of 1833.

Lets just recall that it is claimed that he told Dawson that McCarthy wasn't going anywhere. What was his basis for this? McCarthy is out of contract at the end of this season. The player is entitled to make contact with and be contacted by potential future employees and enter into pre-contractual arrangements once he enters the final six months of his contract. The players club are obliged to let the player know that an approach has been made. Was this done? Could it be that Sears himself was a contributor to McCarthy leaving - perhaps McCarthy doesn't like being treated like goods and chattels?

Frankly, Sears appears to be a bit, lets be charitable and say naive, naive. Whilst his comments are no doubt playing well to the fanbase, at the end of the day he has to work with Munster, Leinster and Ulster to get things done considering the make up of voting within the various IRFU committees. This does not seem to be an astute way of going about it
Last edited by Dave Cahill on December 13th, 2012, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have Bumbleflex
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

tackle-bag wrote:Sears has weighed in again:- http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/provincia ... nsfer-row/

He's flying dangerously close to the sun by effectively saying 'Joe's lying but we respect him nonetheless'. As I stated in a lengthy post above, I don't agree with this signing one bit, but Connacht's administration have really undermined their position with histrionics.
He said nothing of the sort, he said the IRFU has already said that they plan to change the protocols. He's clearly pointing the gun at them not Schmidt.
Jarhead
Learner

Post by Jarhead »

Sea_point wrote:
You had signed Bent and let White go because you didn't need a 30+ NIQ backup TH - INCORRECT. LEINSTER WERE NOT ALLOWED KEEP NW

Elsom was only ever coming on a one year deal, you did not lose him. You had him on a one year loan from the ARU effectively.

You signed Ross and let Stan go. INCORRECT. SEE MY PREVIOUS POST

Botha was let go because he was constantly injured? INCORRECT. MUNSTER NEEDED A TIGHTHEAD TO REPACE JH. ULSTER WERE HAPPY TO GET HIM OFF THE WAGE BILL AND HAD ALREADY IDENTIFIED A FAR BETTER REPLACEMENT IN AFOA.[/quote]

How long are you going to keep writing lies as facts? Are you an Indo/SIndo journo?
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Sea_point wrote:
Jarhead wrote:In addition, I don't actually rate McCarthy. Granted he's played well in the last few months, but I'd be confident that won't last and he return to the usual cheap shot, holding players off the ball, not-doing-much gameplan that we've come to know over the last few years.

Haha, good one. You do realise you've just described Leo...?
:grin:

Again shows how little Leinster supporters have being paying attention. McCarthy has been incredibly consistent for us over last four seasons...
'Incredibly consistent' I thought he started as a slip of thing in the backrow, fed steak and raw eggs and was 'developed' as a marauding second row by Connacht :-)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Sea_point wrote:
ronk wrote:
Leinster lost White, we signed Bent.

We lost Elsom, we promoted McLaughlin (and O'Brien).

We lost Stan Wright, we signed van der Merwe.

Ulster lost Botha, they signed Afoa.
You had signed Bent and let White go because you didn't need a 30+ NIQ backup TH ....

You signed Ross and let Stan go.

Botha was let go because he was constantly injured, there isn't a single Ulster fan would say they lost him. Who got the better deal consequently btw?
Ross and Wright's Leinster careers overlapped by two years.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Sea_point wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:Sears has weighed in again:- http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/provincia ... nsfer-row/

He said nothing of the sort, he said the IRFU has already said that they plan to change the protocols. He's clearly pointing the gun at them not Schmidt.
He said "I know the IRFU have recently discussed reviewing these in the near future" – which is a complete nothing statement.

It's certainly nothing like saying they "plan to change" them ... it's at least two steps removed. In the first place, "reviewing" isn't a synonym for changing; all it means is that they'll look at them again. Secondly, [according to Mears] they haven't even said they'd review them, they've "discussed" reviewing them.

So, in the recent past, the IRFU Committee have talked about looking at protocols which three out of the four CEOs seem pretty happy with.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

hugonaut wrote:
Sea_point wrote:

He said "I know the IRFU have recently discussed reviewing these in the near future" – which is a complete nothing statement.

It's certainly nothing like saying they "plan to change" them ... it's at least two steps removed. In the first place, "reviewing" isn't a synonym for changing; all it means is that they'll look at them again. Secondly, [according to Mears] they haven't even said they'd review them, they've "discussed" reviewing them.

So, in the recent past, the IRFU Committee have talked about looking at protocols which three out of the four CEOs seem pretty happy with.
And you can provide quotes from CEO's of Munster & Ulster confirming same obviously to back that up?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Sea_point wrote: And you can provide quotes from CEO's of Munster & Ulster confirming same obviously to back that up?
I don't have to back up anything to you – it's the internet!

As pretty much anybody on this board will attest, I know what I'm talking about. If you don't want to believe me, that's grand. No skin off my nose. It's still true.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Sea_point wrote:
jezzer wrote:
Golf Man wrote: If for example Ulster were able to offer huge money to some of teh Leinster guys to jump ship how would you feel about Sexton, Heaslip, Healy< Fitz all moved north - thats the equivalent
Provinces are NOT ALLOWED to offer more than the province the player is under contract to. So, if they went to Ulster for huge money, they would HAVE HAD to been already offered huge money by Leinster. If they chose to go anyway, I'd be pissed off with the players, not Ulster.
There is no restrictions on bonuses though and that is where Leinster and it's backers can make a vast difference to any amount Connacht can offer up front....
How vast? Because you seem to know, Seapoint. I like you as a poster on here, but, when it comes to defending Connacht, you rarely say "bad" when you could say "atrocious", or "harsh" when you could say "scandalous".

Look, even if Connacht's bonuses were double Leinster's, he'd still earn more at Leinster because they win more games in more competitions. So, the problem isn't rapacious Leinster, it just isn't.

It's Mike McCarthy, number one. He decided to go.
It's Connacht Rugby, number two. They couldn't keep him and made a hash of their PR upon him leaving.
It's the IRFU, number three, because I strongly sympathise with the fragility of what Connacht is trying to achieve and the IRFU needs to find a way of protecting that somehow. They can't stop a guy who wants to leave at contract end from doing it (and nor should they), but they can help ring-fence local talent in all the provinces, Connacht in particular.