Leinster (possibly) in the Amlin

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Leinster (possibly) in the Amlin

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote:The Rabo is now the only competition we can realistically win without relying on others to do us favours, and its also the only competition where we can get a big payday in the form of a home semi final as a home quarter in the HEC is now not an option. That means a certain shift in emphasis is required in terms of selection. It is vitally important that we finish the league stage in at least second place
Ah hear Dave. You want to write off the HC and the Amlin NOW. At least wait until round 6.
As Ferg said. If we get a HC quarter from here that will be some achievement.

2 wins of any kind and we are in the Amlin.

T hats another comp we will (hopefully) not get many chances to win.

League and Amlin double is a realistic proposal. But until we are out of the HC DEFINITIVELY. Enough of the defoetus talk.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Ulster v Leinster thread

Post by Donny B. »

Honestly wouldn't give two f**ks about the Amlin.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:Honestly wouldn't give two f**ks about the Amlin.
You sound like a Munster fan now. It's a cup. Let's win it if we're in it.

You suggesting we should try and lose our remaining games to avoid competing in it?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Ulster v Leinster thread

Post by Dave Cahill »

johng wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:The Rabo is now the only competition we can realistically win without relying on others to do us favours, and its also the only competition where we can get a big payday in the form of a home semi final as a home quarter in the HEC is now not an option. That means a certain shift in emphasis is required in terms of selection. It is vitally important that we finish the league stage in at least second place
Ah hear Dave. You want to write off the HC and the Amlin NOW. At least wait until round 6.

League and Amlin double is a realistic proposal. But until we are out of the HC DEFINITIVELY. Enough of the defoetus talk.
That's not what I am saying, but they are things that are outside of our control, whereas the league isn't. Also I'd regard winning the the league to be a better and more desirable target than the Amlin, which is, lets be honest, the Donkey Derby. If we're in it, go for it, otherwise, meh
I have Bumbleflex
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

johng wrote:

Optimist, pessimist or realist? If it comes to pass; (and it's highly likely) that we're out of the HC - it will be a bitter pill. We do need to deliver week on week now for the Rabo - too many times 'nearly men' in the last few years, not withstanding the team delivered 3 HCs in that timeframe. Hard to get excited about the Amlin though.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dave Cahill wrote: Also I'd regard winning the the league to be a better and more desirable target than the Amlin, which is, lets be honest, the Donkey Derby. If we're in it, go for it, otherwise, meh
Fair enough. Meh is the word........Unless we're IN IT. Then it all of a sudden becomes the BEST COMP ON THE PLANET......well better anyway.

I think we should obviously do our damndest to get a HC QF. If other results don't go our way then grand.

But if there is even the slightest hope of another visit to the Stoop or the Marcel Tyre boy, then I am keeping the flame alive.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Honestly wouldn't give two f**ks about the Amlin.
You sound like a Munster fan now. It's a cup. Let's win it if we're in it.

You suggesting we should try and lose our remaining games to avoid competing in it?
Ah come on, you don't go from winning the Champions League twice in a row to killing yourself to win the Uefa Cup, or whatever they call that yoke these days.

When Munster went into it two years ago, their players didn't really give a sh!t and it showed in their performance against Quins. I could see ours being the same and wouldn't blame them for a second.

In we do end up in it, I'd prefer to use it as a chance to give some young lads some European experience (as suggested elsewhere) and concentrate on finally winning the bloody league again.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I would be disappointed if we took that attitude to be honest.
The Amlin is 3 games that would be fairly winable. The final is in the RDS.

Yes I would prefer the league, but would prefer the double to that.

If the management wrote the comp off "because we're too good for that comp" I would be surprised and as I said disappointed.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

johng wrote:I would be disappointed if we took that attitude to be honest.

If the management wrote the comp off "because we're too good for that comp" I would be surprised and as I said disappointed.

I am greedy if we are in it let's go and win it. Obviously the HCup dream lives on no matter how precarious it looks for the time being anyway.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:I would be disappointed if we took that attitude to be honest.

Yeah well that's human nature I'm afraid.

They won't publicly say it of course, but I guarantee that's what most on the squad will be feeling.

But in any case let's just we win our last two games by as high a score as possible and see what happens. Hell Exeter could beat us in the last game and take the spot anyway.
Last edited by Donny B. on December 18th, 2012, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:Enough of the defoetus talk.
Ah, jaysus! There's no need to start an abortion debate too...
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

TheBear wrote:
johng wrote:Enough of the defoetus talk.
Ah, jaysus! There's no need to start an abortion debate too...
I'm Just saying that all cups are precious and we shouldn't put the right to life of the Amlin ahead of the Right to life of the HC or the Rabo. They are all precious.

Having said that I wouldn't interfere with a Team's right to choose between them either.

But if it was my daughter...(eh I mean team) I would council them to respect all comps.
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

We seem to be forgetting that the final of the Amlin is in the RDS next year -that's got to be an incentive for Leinster if we're out of the HC.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

rdsblue wrote:We seem to be forgetting that the final of the Amlin is in the RDS next year -that's got to be an incentive for Leinster if we're out of the HC.
Is it though? If we get to the Pro12 final, it would still mean two finals in a week.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

rdsblue wrote:We seem to be forgetting that the final of the Amlin is in the RDS next year -that's got to be an incentive for Leinster if we're out of the HC.
Some of us perhaps. :) I did mention it a few posts back.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:
Is it though? If we get to the Pro12 final, it would still mean two finals in a week.
If we have a fully fit squad. That should be OK
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

There are also extra ranking points available for the Amlin, up to 6 if you win it. That would be the equivalent of losing in a semi-final of the HEC. Our place amongst the top seeds won't be in jeopardy for a couple of seasons, but 6 points could be quite useful further down the line.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Hacker G
Knowledgeable

Post by Hacker G »

Donny B. wrote:
Well it would be nice to actually win a final in the RDS
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
If we have a fully fit squad. That should be OK
Wasn't okay the last two years was it?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:There are also extra ranking points available for the Amlin, up to 6 if you win it. That would be the equivalent of losing in a semi-final of the HEC. Our place amongst the top seeds won't be in jeopardy for a couple of seasons, but 6 points could be quite useful further down the line.
Well being top-ranked doesn't exactly get you easier draws now does it?