Leinster vs Edinburgh

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Leinster vs Edinburgh

Post by Cianostays »

Kind of hard to tell who the hell we'll have available i.e. fit for this one. Assuming Joe is correct and we'll have B'OD, Rob K and Luke back I'd go for something like this with one eye on the Llanelli match:

1. Healy, 2. Cronin, 3. Ross, 4. Leo, 5. Toner, 6. SO'B, 7. Jenno, 8. Heaslip, 9. Reddan, 10. Sexton, 11. Luke (50 mins max), 12. D'Arce, 13. BO'D, 14. Ferg, 15. Rob K

16. Dundon, 17. HVDM, 18. Bent, 19. Marshall, 20. Ruddock, 21. Boss, 22. Madigan, 23. Isa

I'm not sure what the state of fitness is for EO'M, Dave K or Browne. As Locky took a bad blow to the head in Clermont I'd like to give him another week to recover before the crucial Exeter, Llanelli fixtures. If Luke comes through those 50 mins unscathed, I'd consider him for the bench for the 2 games.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster vs Edinburgh

Post by CiaranIrl »

If we actually see any of BOD, Kearney or Fitzgerald, I'll be shocked. Especially Luke. I'd be happy with Isa back to be honest. Any of the other lads would be a bonus. McFadden probably needs a rest.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Probably a good call re Ferg. Isa could come in for him with Conway/Dave K or Carr (if neither of the other 2 are fit) slotting onto the bench.

As for the 3 lads, Joe seemed more definitive about them than the previous squad updates had been. Perhaps I'm clutching at straws but a guy can dream can't he :wink:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Cianostays wrote:Kind of hard to tell who the hell we'll have available i.e. fit for this one. Assuming Joe is correct and we'll have B'OD, Rob K and Luke back I'd go for something like this with one eye on the Llanelli match:

1. Healy, 2. Cronin, 3. Ross, 4. Leo, 5. Toner, 6. SO'B, 7. Jenno, 8. Heaslip, 9. Reddan, 10. Sexton, 11. Luke (50 mins max), 12. D'Arce, 13. BO'D, 14. Ferg, 15. Rob K

16. Dundon, 17. HVDM, 18. Bent, 19. Marshall, 20. Ruddock, 21. Boss, 22. Madigan, 23. Isa

I'm not sure what the state of fitness is for EO'M, Dave K or Browne. As Locky took a bad blow to the head in Clermont I'd like to give him another week to recover before the crucial Exeter, Llanelli fixtures. If Luke comes through those 50 mins unscathed, I'd consider him for the bench for the 2 games.
Pretty sure I saw Damian Browne wearing a sling on his right arm at the game last night.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

cormac wrote:
Pretty sure I saw Damian Browne wearing a sling on his right arm at the game last night.
Saw him when I was walking out of the RDS and his arm was in a sling yeah.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

From today's IT

Brian O’Driscoll, Rob Kearney and Luke Fitzgerald are in line to return for Leinster’s trip to Edinburgh on Friday.

However, the Leinster trio will take “graduated contact” in training this week, Joe Schmidt assured us, after Leinster’s 17-0 defeat of Connacht at the RDS on Saturday.

“We’d be quietly confident that we might see Luke, Brian, Dave (Kearney), Rob and Eoin (O’Malley) all training fully next week and available for selection,” said Schmidt.

I’m really confident about both (Brian and Rob returning) to be honest. Luke as well and Dave and Eoin. The problem I do have is if I do get them back for Edinburgh there is not a lot of time to knit ourselves back together when we have to chase big games against the Scarlets and Exeter away in the following two weeks. It would be nice to get a run in for those guys challenging for spots but it is not a perfect world unfortunately.

“I’d love to have a really good headache this week, because I’ve had some bad headaches in recent weeks. So it would be a bit of a luxury.”

“Isa fits in so easily I wouldn’t have too many fears about him coming straight in for Scarlets or Exeter, whichever the case may be, as long as he is fit.”
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote:
Cianostays wrote:Kind of hard to tell who the hell we'll have available i.e. fit for this one. Assuming Joe is correct and we'll have B'OD, Rob K and Luke back I'd go for something like this with one eye on the Llanelli match:

Isa's left hand looked to be in a cast too. I'd start with Conway at No11 and leave Luke Fitz [if available] on the bench. He hasn't played any rugby in a long time [just over eight months] and the idea that he'll be able to slot in as though he never went away is very, very far-fetched. He's going to be extremely rusty.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

What I would say about Fitzgerald isthat winger is probably one of the easier positions to slot back into as not as much happening defensively etc there but if everyones else is fit there's no need to rush him back especially as McFadden is in the form of his life. I think the interesting calls will be when eveyones match fit. Is it time for McFadden to take over from darcy or do you leave him on the wing?
Also boss is in much better form than reddan and should now be first choice no 9 in my opinion
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

There's a scary amount of talent that has been tied up on the treatment table when you sit back and look at almost an entire first choice backline coming back in.
sontaran man1
Beginner

Post by sontaran man1 »

hugonaut wrote:
cormac wrote:

Isa's left hand looked to be in a cast too. I'd start with Conway at No11 and leave Luke Fitz [if available] on the bench. He hasn't played any rugby in a long time [just over eight months] and the idea that he'll be able to slot in as though he never went away is very, very far-fetched. He's going to be extremely rusty.

Conway took a heavy knock against Connacht. Im assuming he's ok?
SC4 commentator on Leinster v Cardiff 27/10/2012

" Its 15 v 14 after that yellow card.........................it might as well be 50 v 14"
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

sontaran man1 wrote:
Think it was a dead leg. Difficult to know if that would keep him out or not, alright.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

theres only one game to ease these guys back in, and we still need to beat Edinburgh so cant do it all at once

Isa to come back for HC, BOD can fit in relatively quick
so play the kearneys v Edinburgh and Lukey and EOM have to wait a bit, maybe have them on bench v Edinburgh
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

hugonaut wrote:
sontaran man1 wrote:
Think it was a dead leg. Difficult to know if that would keep him out or not, alright.
Looked to me like an ankle injury.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

The Leinster squad trained in UCD on Monday afternoon ahead of Friday night's trip to face Edinburgh in Murrayfield in the RaboDirect PRO12 (KO: 7.35pm) with a number of internationals expected to return to the fray...

Andrew Conway received a dead leg when competing for a ball in the air during Saturday night's victory over Connacht. It is anticipated that he will be fit to train during the week and available for the trip to Edinburgh.

Richardt Strauss is expected to return to the fray over the coming weeks and Shane Jennings, who was a late withdrawal from Saturday's line up due to illness, is expected to return.

Jennings could be joined by a number of other Ireland internationals - such as Cian Healy, Jamie Heaslip, Sean O'Brien and Jonathan Sexton - who were unavailable last weekend. Kevin McLaughlin, meanwhile, was rested as a precaution after sustaining a shoulder knock against Ulster the previous weekend and is also expected to be in the mix.

There are no other fresh injury concerns for the province and the management are hopeful that Ireland trio Luke Fitzgerald, Rob Kearney and Brian O'Driscoll - who continue to make positive strides in their respective rehabilitation programmes - will come into the frame this week ahead of Thursday's lunchtime team announcement.

Isa Nacewa is also set to return either this week or next after suffering deep tissue bruising to his arm in the recent Round 4 Heineken Cup clash against ASM Clermont Auvergne.

In a further boost, second row Mark Flanagan - who has been unavailable since undergoing a back operation in July - is set to be available for Clontarf in the AIL this weekend away to St. Mary's College.

Great news about Flanagan. He's been something of a forgotten man this season but really think he could offer us a lot in a problem position.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

That is great news about Flanagan. The more options we can have at lock the better. I remain wildly optimistic that the big 3 will be fit for Friday. I of course base this on absoloutley nothing :D

bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

Cianostays wrote:That is great news about Flanagan. The more options we can have at lock the better. I remain wildly optimistic that the big 3 will be fit for Friday. I of course base this on absoloutley nothing :D
i'll be at the Tarf match this weekend so will report back if Flanagan plays, cant see him starting as he wasnt involved in a friendly last weekend v's trinity.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

OK so...

Roux
Browne
Nacewa
Strauss

Defo out this week.

My selection if all the lads really are fit.

Healy
Cronin
Ross
Cullen
Toner
O'Brien
Jennings
Heaslip

Reddan
Sexton
Conway
D'Arcy
O'Driscoll
D Kearney
R Kearney

Dundon
Van Der Merwe
Bent
Marshall
McLaughlin
Boss
Goodman
Fitzgerald

And if none of them are.....

Healy
Cronin
Ross
Cullen
Toner
O'Brien
Ryan
Heaslip

Reddan
Sexton
Conway
Goodman
D'Arcy
McFadden
Madigan

Dundon
Van Der Merwe
Bent
Marshall
Ruddock
Boss
Madigan
O'Malley/Carr
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Luke has never been the kind of player to hit the ground running after injury so IF he's actually fit (and I don't trust the Leinster propaganda) then I'm not sure how much I'd involve him because, realistically, how involved will he be in the HC anyway?
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

I'm hoping to see Luke BoD and Rob all get some game time - to show my support i'm flying up for the game - just booked it - now surely thats motivation enough to get on the pitch and perform?? :oops:
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

Post by Proudleinsterman »

Cianostays wrote:That is great news about Flanagan. The more options we can have at lock the better. I remain wildly optimistic that the big 3 will be fit for Friday. I of course base this on absoloutley nothing :D
I would expect Schmidt wants all 3 to play a part in the HC run in, if that's correct they will have to get a run out on Friday. If they dont play Friday can you see any of them coming back at HC level with zero game time under their belts, ok BOD is an exception, he can do anything!
All 3 are fit to start full training this week and barring any adverse reactions all should get a run out on Friday.