Leinster v. Scarlets

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Leinster v. Scarlets

Post by tackle-bag »

Right, might as well get this thread going. North looked like he took a serious injury in the Ulster game, with the BBC already reporting him as doubtful for the 6N:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20918296
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Re: Leinster v. Scarlets

Post by Blue not red blood »

A great mental boost tonight for team, management and supporters.
It is amazimg what a small dose of confidence can do.
A good start next sat and we can start our cup defence in style.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Court destroyed their tighthead and when Ulster took off their 3rd choice TH Scarlets had nothing on that side either, so we should really get at them in the scrums

Scarlets, whove no depth to begin with, missing Priestland tbc, North, Liam Williams, Shingler, Owens, M Rees

from their website for Ulster game "In the forwards the West Wales side are missing seven players; back row Aaron Shingler (groin), second row George Earle (knee), hooker Matthew Rees (neck), hooker Ken Owens (ribs), second row Joe Snyman (groin), prop Samson Lee (shoulder) and no8 Kieran Murphy (back)"
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

If Nacewa and Strauss are still out, and we've no new injuries, I'd play the same team except bring in F McF for either Carr or Fitz. Ferg must play.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Carr deserves the bench ahead of Conway after that performance. Ferg is t.he form winger in Leinster, and indespensable.
Ruddock or Murphy in for Denton and the rest stay.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

suisse wrote:If Nacewa and Strauss are still out, and we've no new injuries, I'd play the same team except bring in F McF for either Carr or Fitz. Ferg must play.
My preferred team would be:

Backs [15-9]: Kearney; McFadden; O'Driscoll; D'Arcy; Fitzgerald; Sexton; Boss
Forwards [1-8]: Healy; Cronin; Ross; Cullen; Toner; O'Brien; Jennings; Heaslip
Subs [16-23]: van der Merwe; Dundon; Bent; Marshall; Murphy/Ryan; Reddan; Madigan; Carr

Not considering Nacewa, Strauss or Browne for selection.

Denton dropped from the bench in favour of Marshall, who has been much more impressive in the first half of the season. That Scarlets scrum isn't going to cause us huge problems, so I think we can take the small risk of putting a not-particularly heavy lock on the bench. He'd give us far more attacking gusto off the bench in the last quarter as well.

Locky misses out altogether, as Sean O'Brien played very little rugby before Christmas and is well capable of going the full 80 minutes in every match he plays in until the end of the season. Playing him at No6 plays to both his strengths and the team's chances of scoring four tries. We'll still need a back-row sub, and seeing as we have more candidates at No7 than No8, that means one of Jordi Murphy or Dom Ryan coming in for Jenno late on.

Bossy starts because Reddan was very poor against Edinburgh ... again, Reddan can come on in the second half when the Scarlets [who, as pointed out above, have little depth] begin to tire and holes begin to appear in their defense.

Carr goes to the bench to accommodate Ferg returning to the right wing. Ferg has played his best rugby in the No14 jersey, Luke's best position is No11; Carr's best position is No14 as well, so despite his good performance against Edinburgh, he slips to the bench. Madigan can cover fullback, Ferg covers both centres if one of them is forced to depart. Conway misses out.

*EDIT - just read your last post on the Edinburgh thread JohnG. Marshall not in the HEC squad, so Locky on the bench ahead of Denton.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Neither is Ryan.

I reckon Isa will be back too which may put Luke at 23 with carr dropping out.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Dunno whether to start Redan or Boss. Boss arguably in better form, but Redan does give that extra bit of zip. Arriving at breakdowns fractionally quicker and getting the ball out fractionally quicker too.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Definitely start Boss for Exeter. With Redan to come on if we can losen them up.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

suisse wrote:If Nacewa and Strauss are still out, and we've no new injuries, I'd play the same team except bring in F McF for either Carr or Fitz. Ferg must play.
Agreed. As well as Carr played last night (and who knew he it in him), Ferg would have offered even more from the wing. He and Darce are both in excellent form, Rob and Luke hit the ground running last night and BOD will be better for the run-out last night. With Jonny pulling the strings that's a hell of a backline, even if Reddan was fairly poor last night. He'll probably still start though as he'll still the best man for the 'blitz' that we want to unleash next week.

The thing about next week is that we have to play a full 80 minutes and try to get as many tries on the board as possible. It won't be good enough to just get a try bonus point and then switch off, with our try count so low.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Donny B. wrote:even if Reddan was fairly poor last night. He'll probably still start though as he'll still the best man for the 'blitz' that we want to unleash next week.
I'm hoping that it was just the periodic awful game he's prone to and it's now out of his system. Worryingly sloppy performance though.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

It was huge for us, psychologicaly, to pick up 4 tries last night. It shows the players that they can go for the 4 tries early enough, in each game, and get them. With Isa and Ferg to come back vs Scarlets and, possibly, Strauss and Browne to follow vs Exeter, the great escape is on :green clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsuAbTTsV8
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

johng wrote:Dunno whether to start Redan or Boss. Boss arguably in better form, but Redan does give that extra bit of zip. Arriving at breakdowns fractionally quicker and getting the ball out fractionally quicker too.
Id go reddan v Scarletts and Boss v Chiefs. Quick game will kill the Scarletts early doors while Boss will manage the physical threat from the chiefs with reddan to then come on late and get the BP win :D

Well thats how i see it anyways...
3 Gold Stars
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Management seem to be intimating that theyre happy for Isa to be fully healed and drop him straight back in

Kearney, McFadden, Bod, Darce, Isa, Sexton
Madigan, Luke

feels good typing that :)
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

In the backs, the 'form man' Boss to start both HC matches with Reddan to come on if we need to quicken it up for the wins and BPs. Isa to come back in (if fit) to displace an unlucky Luke and Fergus for Fionn Carr.

In the forwards Devon and Leo; if available, Strauss (for his throwing) in for Cronin; Ross and Healy to join him. And Seanie at 7, Jamie and McLaughlin. Enough bulk and guile to both break up and carve up Scarlets and Exeter there.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

North's injury not as bad as initially feared, but this article suggests that he remains a doubt for the 6N opener:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20918296

Presumably we can read into that that he won't be playing any part next weekend.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not sure that North's presence matters too much tbh. We need to tear them apart and score 4 tries so don't see him having a major role even if he is fit.

Same goes for Exeter. We shouldn't worry too much about them, just go out at a 100 miles an hour and blitz them completely.

Easier said than done of course and the weather could change things but right now I just think the important thing is that we play at a pace that they won't be able to cope with and we'll be fine.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Not sure that North's presence matters too much tbh. We need to tear them apart and score 4 tries so don't see him having a major role even if he is fit.
Yeah, I was thinking about this since his injury last night. I reckon it certainly helps us in an indirect way. Leinster will presumably go about their business as any good side hunting a bonus point does - secure the win first and then fling it around a bit. The lower we can keep the Scarlets total, the sooner we'll be able to do the latter. With the injuries that they have suffered, North certainly represents their best attacking threat.

Don't forget also that, realistically, we don't just need a bonus point from this game. Our try count is such that we probably need to score about 6 or 7.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

if North is out the easier it is defending the easier it is to get on top

am fairly confident of the BP v Scarlets, maybe just maybe some returning stars magic inspired heroics in Exeter

anyone know a pub in Camden Town to watch the game btw?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

There's no time for fussing and fighting my friend.........

LET'S JUST KILL'EM!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM5B7p7NDck