Leinster v Exeter

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Leinster v Exeter

Post by Donny B. »

desperado wrote:Even there ... if fully firing; but then, that's the problem.
Indeed. We're still some way short of our best but if we can scrape through to the quarters we could be in a lot better shape by April....

Hey, I'm just trying to be positive here! :D
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

On that showing I really don't think we're far off our top level.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

jezzer wrote:On that showing I really don't think we're far off our top level.
That's why I am quietly confident.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:
Indeed. We're still some way short of our best but if we can scrape through to the quarters we could be in a lot better shape by April....

Yeah after we win the Grand Slam, and knock Ulster off the top of the Rabo, it should be a piece of pi$$.

First we have to give Exeter a good lash. Not many get a BP win there. They're a tough bunch of feckers. I have a feeling we will give it a right good go though.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Spirited win by an inexperienced team over Connacht: Jezzer "We were shite!"

Muddled win over Scarlets with several tries left behind: Jezzer "We were brilliant!!!"

Jezzer be crazy.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Yeah after we win the Grand Slam, and knock Ulster off the top of the Rabo, it should be a piece of pi$$.

First we have to give Exeter a good lash. Not many get a BP win there. They're a tough bunch of feckers. I have a feeling we will give it a right good go though.
Surely that should wait until afterward and we should play a game of rugby first?
sontaran man1
Beginner

Post by sontaran man1 »

2 things worry me about this game

1. How good are Exeter........really?
2. How well are we (not) playing.

I think its gonna be an odd-odd game where Leinster go out with a look in their eye and play with a "we will die out here if we have too" attitude.
We want it more and that's paramount. If we get ahead they wont fancy an uber-uber physical game. If we make it a white hot physical contest I honestly dont think they will have the stomach.....why would they other than pride.
Crucial to this is one SOB. I think its doable with him involved.
Also the ref allowing us to play a high tempo game. If its a slow fest then we can still win but might be pushed to get 4.

I can imagine the players would be gutted to go out. They may have got a bit of belief back they way other results went the weekend.
I would only hope if were on the cusp of 4 Joe doesn't make a lot of changes going into the last 20.

Im going cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think we will win but not sure about 4 tries.
SC4 commentator on Leinster v Cardiff 27/10/2012

" Its 15 v 14 after that yellow card.........................it might as well be 50 v 14"
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

So basically: it's still just about on. We're no worse off than off than before round 5 and hanging in there by fingernails. Next week will be a "cup final" game.
Dont Panic!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

It is fingernails stuff, but as long as we're still in it, there's always hope.

The problem with cup final stuff is you don't always have to win them by 5 or 6 tries. unless you're playing Ulster....cheeky!
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

We'll all be glued to the telly watching Montpellier vs Toulon before our game (that will be utter torture) but the lads just have to go out and do it. Nice and aggressive from the start. If we get a penalty on their 10m line, boot it towards the corner and go for it straight from the off. I can see Madser going over for the 4th in the 70th(ish) minute. Huge game and can't wait.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Cianostays wrote:We'll all be glued to the telly watching Montpellier vs Toulon before our game (that will be utter torture) but the lads just have to go out and do it. Nice and aggressive from the start. If we get a penalty on their 10m line, boot it towards the corner and go for it straight from the off. I can see Madser going over for the 4th in the 70th(ish) minute. Huge game and can't wait.
IF I saw this post before the Munster game I would've disagreed with you - I think kicking to the corners and trying to force tries was our undoing (regarding raking up more tries) last night. However, after seeing Munster taking the 'turn the screw' approach today it totally backfired on them when they ran out of time and forced the game.

You're right - we have nothing to lose. I just hope we try and truck it up through the forwards from the corners and rumble over the line all day rather than spread it wide.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

So, we need to win with 5 points, hopefully rack up a few tries, and hope that Montpelier and/or Munster do us a favour by either not winning (Mont.) or no BP (Munster).

I think it's over but hopefully not. I'll be home on Saturday morning - first decent Leinster kick off time in 12 months.

This is gonna be tough. I'm not as confident as others that we'll get the 4 tries. Mont. and Munster to get the runners up I think.
Panasonic
Beginner

Post by Panasonic »

keep hope... get the win + bonus point to reach 20 pts, then come back again at Clermont-ferrand for the 1/4 final :D

To be honest, I think that's very very likely to happen. I think we can be 1st or 2nd and we will meet one of the best 2nd of pool, ie you or Montpellier or Toulouse or Munster.
I prefer to meet you again at Clermont-Ferrand in April rather than at Dublin in May....
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

If we go through, I'm pretty sure it'll be Quins
Last edited by [Jackass] on January 14th, 2013, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Donny B. wrote:

Muddled win over Scarlets with several tries left behind: Jezzer "We were brilliant!!!"

Jezzer be crazy.
If you haven't learnt the game of rugby by now, Donny, there's no use in me teaching you!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

jezzer wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Jezzer be crazy.
If you haven't learnt the game of rugby by now, Donny, there's no use in me teaching you!
Oh please teach me, oh wise one, it's the only way I'll learn..... :D
StainedRat
Beginner

Post by StainedRat »

Hello irish buddies,

I think Leinster will go through, Racing will be more difficult to handle for munster than Exeter for Leinster , i bet Leinster will score more tries, meaning QF against the quins, Clermont will definetly avoid Leinster for QF , we want you in the final to dublin, and Joe or Vern wouldn't like to eliminate each other at this stage!

either playing to Toulon or Quins into QF will be easier bet than coming to Clermont for you, they had a really easy pool stages both are bankable, Leinster can do it in april, you got enough rugby in shoes to overturn them!

C'mon Leinster,

from a yellow army member !
honeyec
Mullet

Post by honeyec »

It's going to be a long week; my nerves are shot already. Have to be in the airport for about 6am on Saturday and I know I won't be able to sleep on Friday night with the nerves.

Times like this I kinda wish I could put myself into some kind of cryo-stasis til it's all over...
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

honeyec wrote:It's going to be a long week; my nerves are shot already. Have to be in the airport for about 6am on Saturday and I know I won't be able to sleep on Friday night with the nerves.

Times like this I kinda wish I could put myself into some kind of cryo-stasis til it's all over...
Feel exactly the same, can't wait if any of you are in the East terrace North they are expecting us so it should be a real laugh come early : http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read ... 8,13764647
Flying wedge
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Donny B. wrote:Oh please teach me, oh wise one, it's the only way I'll learn..... :D
You'll never learn, Donny.....

Seriously though, I've been watching Leinster packs of various hues and colours play this season with a fairly mediocre level of intensity, not driving over the ball and not dominating the oppo. Delivery of ball has been pedestrian at times and - when the backs do get the ball - they've been standing still and not running threatening lines. Connacht for the first 50 or 60 minutes was a brilliant example of this. Just because some of the team were less experienced, the way they all played was fairly cack for the first hour. cr@p ball dished to backs who were standing still and looked like they weren't ready for it.

On Sat, we got to see what happens when the pack decide to take on their oppo forwards and to bully a team up front. The pack took up the dirty ball very well, which was less often than normal because we were rucking over it, and the backs actually took on the decent ball at a good depth and line.

It wasn't perfect and there was a lull in the middle. I'm not denying we left a couple of tries out there. Schmidt even said (he's a funny f%~ker) that the team had totally abandoned his carefully thought-out gameplan.

But for the first time in ages we played like we were the HEC champions and Scarlets were an obstacle in our way. Technically, our pack and backs were much better and more cohesive.

That's what I saw, anyway.