Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Exeter

Post by fourthirtythree »

well that's some of the selection difficulties eased anyway :-(
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Anybody getting the impression there are just too many distractions happening at the moment.
Sexton's Contract - Who went public with this?
Dekko announcing his squad (Could he not have waited until sunday - After the HEC pool stages are over.
Heaslip as captain with BOD still around - No doubt that'll get talked about until we're all blue in the face.

Have I missed anything else?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Fireworks wrote: Well said. We have the quality to do the job but this is not a poor side we are facing. If we do this and get through then I know we will celebrate but I doubt we will do a Munster and call it the miracle game and put out DVDs and talk about it for the rest of time.
Most posters are looking at the requirements for qualification rather than thinking it's going to be easy.
We have a 4 try target full stop. It's not an easy target and would be a challenge against any team. Exeter will give us that challenge there is no doubt about.
We have to play for the BP. That's not arrogance or dis-repectful to Exeter - We have no choice, it's as simple as that.
Exeter know we'll be going for the BP from the start - That is another advantage for them.
Frustrate us early on and we the lose the cool and they get penalties and so on.
In forcing it we could cough up an intercept try - another advantage to Exeter.
We could end up getting 4 tries (I hope) and only scrape the win or even lose.
Exeter can afford to be patient.
We will have to be patient in execution, but not in ambition.
Jaysus now I'm getting worried.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oldschool wrote: We have to play for the BP. That's not arrogance or dis-repectful to Exeter - We have no choice, it's as simple as that.
Fact. Any speculation on qualification is predicated on this.

I think it would be a quite serious overturning of the form so far this season of both teams were we to get it. Hope is still alive though.

Ferg is a loss. Rob, Luke, and Isa to chip in with one apiece and BOD to continue his record seeking run!
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

Oldschool wrote:Anybody getting the impression there are just too many distractions happening at the moment.
Sexton's Contract - Who went public with this?
Dekko announcing his squad (Could he not have waited until sunday - After the HEC pool stages are over.
Heaslip as captain with BOD still around - No doubt that'll get talked about until we're all blue in the face.

Have I missed anything else?
There might be some kind of a requirement for the international squad to be announced that meant Kidney couldn't delay any longer. Ireland were the last of the 6 to announce as it was.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Oldschool wrote:
Fireworks wrote: Well said. We have the quality to do the job but this is not a poor side we are facing. If we do this and get through then I know we will celebrate but I doubt we will do a Munster and call it the miracle game and put out DVDs and talk about it for the rest of time.
Most posters are looking at the requirements for qualification rather than thinking it's going to be easy.
We have a 4 try target full stop. It's not an easy target and would be a challenge against any team. Exeter will give us that challenge there is no doubt about.
We have to play for the BP. That's not arrogance or dis-repectful to Exeter - We have no choice, it's as simple as that.
Exeter know we'll be going for the BP from the start - That is another advantage for them.
Frustrate us early on and we the lose the cool and they get penalties and so on.
In forcing it we could cough up an intercept try - another advantage to Exeter.
We could end up getting 4 tries (I hope) and only scrape the win or even lose.
Exeter can afford to be patient.
We will have to be patient in execution, but not in ambition.
Jaysus now I'm getting worried.
All true. I just spoke to a french rugby fan with an interesting view of the game. He thinks Leinster will score enough tries to put Munster out if it comes down to it. His view is that you throw the kitchen sink at them and go for the kill from the off. With the guys we have we should be able to win and score lots of tries and if they score some too so what. If we win 60-50 that will do.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

If we get the bonus point on Sat, that achievement will rank among the best we have ever done. I am hopeful but uncertain that we can do it. depends on the first 30 minutes and how we react.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Raydollard wrote:If we get the bonus point on Sat, that achievement will rank among the best we have ever done.
I think you're building it up a bit too much tbh.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Why is that building it up too much? We rarely get BPs away, if we do manage to this BP away (against a side that doesn't concede BPs in their ground), then we'll be within a chance of qualifying from the pool stages after essentially everybody has written us off.

It'd defo be up there.
Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

We generally haven't gone for bonus point wins on the road over the last few seasons. We've been happy enough to play it tighter on the road and grind out the 4 points, then go for a more expansive game plan at home.

Just comparing Glasgow and Bath home and away last season. I guess heavier and tighter pitches didn't help away from home in those matches but we generally setup more defensively on the road. We'll obviously have to adopt a far more attacking philosophy on Sat though, i don't doubt we have a capability to do it, just we haven't really clicked this season yet. Hopefully this is the match where we do!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

not like we have to win by 27 points

plus if we're winning the game opens up as Chiefs will want to win not just stop us getting bp
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'm predicting the Cheifs to get 2 bonus points. final score 68 75
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:I'm predicting the Cheifs to get 2 bonus points. final score 68 75
Willing to put money on that? :)
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Wasn't there a Super 14 game that finished with a similar scoreline 2 or 3 years ago?

Edit: Wasn't far off. Lions 65 Chiefs 72 - 19 February 2010
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

cormac wrote:
Wasn't there a Super 14 game that finished with a similar scoreline 2 or 3 years ago?

Hard to believe a team can have 72 pts put on them and still get the LBP!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I'm expecting a tight but high-scoring game as Leinster will take risks and play with tempo and (hopefully) good decision-making and accuracy. The Chiefs, for their part, aren't afraid to attack from deep when it's on and play expansive rugby with slick offloads. Leinster have to cut loose to qualify, and the Chiefs are out but have a proud home record and want to impress their fans....could be a really good, flowing game to contrast with the 9-6 dross we got the last time!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:

That's what I was referencing OK. Got the score wrong. I could only remember that it was the Lions. Coincidence that they were also playing the Chiefs.

Chiefs v the Laighanns?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

neiliog93 wrote:I'm expecting a tight but high-scoring game as Leinster will take risks and play with tempo and (hopefully) good decision-making and accuracy. The Chiefs, for their part, aren't afraid to attack from deep when it's on and play expansive rugby with slick offloads. Leinster have to cut loose to qualify, and the Chiefs are out but have a proud home record and want to impress their fans....could be a really good, flowing game to contrast with the 9-6 dross we got the last time!
Hey! The people who were on here complaining about the S14 game would argue that 9 6 is a "proper" rugby score.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
cormac wrote:

That's what I was referencing OK. Got the score wrong. I could only remember that it was the Lions. Coincidence that they were also playing the Chiefs.

Chiefs v the Laighanns?
Stretching it, but I like it!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Folks the Met office is predicting Snowmageddon for parts of the UK tomorrow.

Not sure what's going to happen in Exeter on Sat but travel (incl rail) to the game may be disrupted.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.