Leinster v Exeter

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Exeter

Post by Logorrhea »

Donny B. wrote:We have to stop building Exeter up to something the're not.

Clermont put 12 tries on them in two games. We should fecking hammer them!
You said the same about Clermont a few days before they came to the Aviva didnt you? :)

I agree with you, but YOU shouldnt be the one saying it. Youre bad luck.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Like we did at the RDS! They have pride to play for, and will be relishing the opportunity to stop the European Champions progressing next week. Having said that Leinster play at their best when the odds are stacked against them. I am quietly confident (with the emphasis on the quiet).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Logorrhea wrote:

You said the same about Clermont a few days before they came to the Aviva didnt you? :)

I agree with you, but YOU shouldnt be the one saying it. Youre bad luck.
Sad but true. :oops:

I hereby withdraw my remarks and now think we'll do well to keep Exeter to just the fifty points!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Hornet wrote:

Like we did at the RDS! They have pride to play for, and will be relishing the opportunity to stop the European Champions progressing next week. Having said that Leinster play at their best when the odds are stacked against them. I am quietly confident (with the emphasis on the quiet).
I know they'll turn up and play with pride but f**k it, we're a much better team and we should go out and show it.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

red49 wrote:
footrush wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:Alright, I'm fairly certain that these are the remaining requirements.

Unless there are a series of freak results, it's 99% certain that we'll need a bonus point win in Exeter.

If we achieve that and either (a) Toulon beat Montpellier - even with a LBP for Montpellier OR (b) Munster fail to get a BP win over Racing, we go through.

If neither of those results go as above, then we need to score 2 more tries than Munster do against Racing (i.e. if Munster get 4, we would need to have 6 etc.) as the second criteria of being tied on points and tries scored is aggregate score, which Munster have a decent lead over us.

If Munster fail to get a BP win and score 0 or 1 try and we fail to get a BP win but score 3 tries, we go through as long as Northampton don't get a BP win in Glasgow and Biarritz don't get a BP win at home to Quins.

OR

If Montpellier lose and fail to get a LBP, then a simple win in Exeter would be enough as long as Northampton don't get a BP win in Glasgow and Biarritz don't get a BP win at home to Quins.

Leicester Tolouse Ospreys group is now fairly irrelevant as Leicester and Toulouse play each other, so one has to lose, even with a LBP, knocking them out.

So it comes down to 3 fixtures, Exeter v Leinster, Montpellier v Toulon and Munster v Racing - The 2 runner up spots will be decided by those 3 games.
This is really clear thanks, just one really unlikely option if Leicester beat Toulouse but Toulouse get a LBP + a 4 try bonus point where does that leave them ?
see my post above , if that unlikely one happened they probably both go through because leicesater would have won group and toulouse would be on 20 and woulsd qualify on tries scored
Appreciate that thanks for the clarification.
Flying wedge
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

AdamK wrote:C'mon Toulon! :)
This is the key match. Toulon's team selection and attitude will be vital. They play Mont de Marsan at home the following week so they should be taking the Montpellier game seriously. Never know with mad Bernie though. His team selections have been "interesting" of late.
22dropout
Bookworm

Post by 22dropout »

Absolutely not tempting faith but I might hedge book flights to a couple of locations for an away 1/4 final. It would be cheaper to book 2 flightsq to different locations on Ryanair now than to book one when/if we know who we are playing. If we managed to pick up a BP win next weekend. Who are our most likely opponents ?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neilinboston wrote:You're demonstrating an Oldschool (I'm assuming you'll take this as a compliment Oldschool) level of paranoia... Kidney will not tell us who to play in a crucial HC game. More likely, Schmidt thought tonight was an easier run than next week and wanted BOD to come through a shorter test than next week (McFadden could have covered either of Fitz or Nacewa - with Nacewa to cover Kearney and BOD to come on if either of the first two had been having a mare/injured/not fit enough).
Expect BOD to start next week with Fitz, Kearney and McFadden in back as Nacewa looked most under cooked today. Again, should any of above underperform, Nacewa can be brought in... pretty nice situation to be in.
Nah, that's way beyond paranoia. It's far more like fantasy land stuff. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:Thank f*ck we don't have to play Clermont last. Just watching their game against Exeter here and Fofana's first try is one of the best team tries I've ever seen. Unbelievable, Harlem Globetrotters rugby.
The worrying thing about Clerment is that in allowing them to beat us in the AVIVA we may have let the genii out of the bottle.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

I see Sky are showing the worthless Scarlets Clermont game ahead of the important Exeter Leinster game.
We seem to be on the red button - which I dont have.

Will this change when they look at the games?
The French are predictably unpredictable
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

outcast eddie wrote:I've been doing some re-search and I reckon the only BP defeat Exeter have suffered at Sandy Pk this year was at the hands of Clermont.

The Saints managed it against them at Franklin Gardens earlier in the year.

I'm just trying to put next weeks challenge into perspective, anyone able to expand on this?
If we bring the same intensity, as in our away game to Clerment, then we can get the 4 tries. It's about being the HEC champions - Where's your pride?
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

22dropout wrote:Absolutely not tempting faith but I might hedge book flights to a couple of locations for an away 1/4 final. It would be cheaper to book 2 flightsq to different locations on Ryanair now than to book one when/if we know who we are playing. If we managed to pick up a BP win next weekend. Who are our most likely opponents ?
The planets are aligning for us to meet ASM again I reckon.

I have a feeling they're going to go through as first seed, so sneaking through in 8th would get us another trip to the Marcel Michelin.

The interesting twist is that the sides leading the pools aren't necessary going to want to be top 2 seeds and risk getting us as the runner-up. Depending on how Ulster get on on Friday night teams will start knowing whether they already have a home quarter final and if they've that in the bag then why not lose the final match and get a lower seeding and play someone like Saracens rather than Leinster?
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Vamos los azules wrote:
22dropout wrote:Absolutely not tempting faith but I might hedge book flights to a couple of locations for an away 1/4 final. It would be cheaper to book 2 flightsq to different locations on Ryanair now than to book one when/if we know who we are playing. If we managed to pick up a BP win next weekend. Who are our most likely opponents ?

I have a feeling they're going to go through as first seed, so sneaking through in 8th would get us another trip to the Marcel Michelin.

The interesting twist is that the sides leading the pools aren't necessary going to want to be top 2 seeds and risk getting us as the runner-up. Depending on how Ulster get on on Friday night teams will start knowing whether they already have a home quarter final and if they've that in the bag then why not lose the final match and get a lower seeding and play someone like Saracens rather than Leinster?
Your logic is flawed to the extent that if a team has to meet Leinster, it's far better for them to do it on their own turf, than in a neutral venue (S/F) or worse still in the Aviva.
If Leinster lie in 8th on Saturday evening, then expect a few shenanigans on Sunday.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Donny B. wrote: I know they'll turn up and play with pride but f**k it, we're a much better team and we should go out and show it.
Exactly. How many internationals do they have? Lions contenders? If we're afraid of a limited team just because they're able to "show pride" then we shouldn't even bother talking about how we might get out of the group. We're three times HEC champions for fock's sake, they should be the ones sweating bricks at the thought of us putting 60 on them.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Vamos los azules wrote:

Do you think Quins are going to lose in Biarritz? Or do you just think Quins will not get a BP win and Clermont will put 10 or so tries on Scarlets in the Parc? They are the 2 ways Clermont will end up top seeds.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but I think we would be far more likely to be heading back to the Stoop if we manage to end up in 8th.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

desperado wrote:If we get out of the group in second place; I've this feelin in me wasser it could be Stoop ( ' Part II' ) To Conquer
Still have the same feeling as I had on Dec 10th. Final diagnosis next week!!
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

johng wrote:
I'm not saying it won't happen, but I think we would be far more likely to be heading back to the Stoop if we manage to end up in 8th.
The only downside with that is that they would have learned their lesson from last time, and have us scattered to the four corners of the Stoop.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

desperado wrote:
desperado wrote:If we get out of the group in second place; I've this feelin in me wasser it could be Stoop ( ' Part II' ) To Conquer
Still have the same feeling as I had on Dec 10th. Final diagnosis next week!!
And Dublin joke shops will sell out of fake blood! :wink:

Frankly, apart from Clermont in the Stade Marky tyres, I'd fancy a fully firing Leinster against anyone.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Even there ... if fully firing; but then, that's the problem.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Did we make it to the quarter finals????????