Sexton to Racing

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Sexton to Racing

Post by Oldschool »

Firstly I'd like to congratulate Johnny Sexton on landing a big pay rise. I think Racing have got a great player and know it.
Secondly I'd like to wish him well and hope that some day in the not too distant future we might see him in the blue again.
Finally I think we still have Johnny for the rest of this season and as we still in the hunt for some serious silverware I think we should use him to that end.
The next couple of seasons are going to be about bedding in a new back line so silverware might be thin on the ground.
We should therefore make the most of Johnny while we have him. He's great player and we should enjoy him while we have him.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable

Post by Ultra Vires »

Degz wrote:
Ultra Vires wrote:Might as well play him for the rest of the Amlin games this season because thats all he's going to be playing next season!!

No Heineken Cup rugby for you as it stands now Johnny.

1 Toulon 15 12 0 3 444 228 216 57
2 Clermont 15 12 0 3 381 248 133 53
3 Toulouse 15 11 0 4 413 275 138 50
4 Castres 16 9 1 6 349 286 63 44
5 Grenoble 15 10 0 5 321 305 16 42
6 Montpellier 15 9 0 6 336 306 30 41
7 Biarritz 15 8 0 7 289 290 -1 36
8 Perpignan 15 7 0 8 346 361 -15 34
9 Racing Métro 15 7 0 8 272 269 3 34
10 Stade Français 15 7 1 7 341 370 -29 32
11 Bayonne 16 6 0 10 257 366 -109 30
12 Agen 15 3 0 12 239 407 -168 18
13 Bordeaux-Bègles 15 3 0 12 277 357 -80 18
14 Mont-de-Marsan 15 1 0 14 213 410 -197 8

He can keep the money. He'll need it to take his mind off playing Bizkaia Gernika RT, Rovigo and Bucharest Wolves next year.
From a rugby point of view, they will be concentrating solely on the T14. I doubt he'd be played in the Shamlin.
Right. But even then so what? You think Racing metro will win the Top14 next season? :lol:
Toulon (cynical Racing preceders) took years of this nonsense mercenary stuff to even get near the top. Johnny wont see any success at Racing and by the time it comes he'll be gone.
The Bird is the Word
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

O gara signed 2 year contract in 2010 and o Callaghan signed for 3 years in 2010. Bet rog will get a new central one in the summer.
They wouldn't give sexton what he was looking for last time so he only signed for 2 years I think.
The question is now can they hold onto the other players and how much are the french clubs prepared to pay a kearney, Healy, o Brien, heaslip etc
Phil06
Graduate

Post by Phil06 »

I am sorry to see Johnny go, but three HCup medals under his arm he strikes me as a driven sort and was probably looking around for his next challenge.

I don’t buy this mercenary bullshit.

Maybe I am wrong, but I’d doubt this move to Racing Metro is motivated by money alone. Agreed, he’s a professional sports player and he owes it to himself, family (and his future welfare)to maximise his earnings while the big money is on offer.
With the demise of Stade Français; I’d say Racing has aspirations to be the new big club in Paris (a huge market!) and with money behind them are signing some big names for next season. They’ve obviously presented Johnny with a game plan which he’s excited about and feels he can be a part of. We all agree he is a natural leader, and I think that’s what Racing have been missing!?

On the other hand, the IRFU have (again) shown themselves to be feckless fockers in their negotiation style and guardianship of Ireland’s best players.
I hope over the next few days the truth about their negotiations comes out in the wash (I won’t hold my breath).

In the meantime, a job well done with Leinster Johnny. Thank you.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

lummix wrote:O gara signed 2 year contract in 2010 and o Callaghan signed for 3 years in 2010. Bet rog will get a new central one in the summer.
They wouldn't give sexton what he was looking for last time so he only signed for 2 years I think.
The question is now can they hold onto the other players and how much are the french clubs prepared to pay a kearney, Healy, o Brien, heaslip etc
Funny how you only mentioned Leinster players there - Surely Leinster aren't the only team producing the cream! Who else had you in mind for "etc"?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

Post by Proudleinsterman »

Fact is Racing don't have an earthly of winning the TOP14. Players go there for the bright lights and the pay cheque.

Just struck me how much I am starting to dislike Racing, last week they put two fingers up to Leinster and the HCup by playing a weakened team in the HCup. This week they add insult to injury by taking a key member of our squad. Sexton is a winner and ultra competitive, guess the money is more than enough compensation to play in a team that will only be making up the numbers.
Last edited by Proudleinsterman on January 25th, 2013, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil06
Graduate

Post by Phil06 »

Right. But even then so what? You think Racing metro will win the Top14 next season? :lol:
Toulon (cynical Racing preceders) took years of this nonsense mercenary stuff to even get near the top. Johnny wont see any success at Racing and by the time it comes he'll be gone.
Where can I get myself one of those cyrstal balls?
Jackal
Bookworm

Post by Jackal »

Oldschool wrote:
lummix wrote:O gara signed 2 year contract in 2010 and o Callaghan signed for 3 years in 2010. Bet rog will get a new central one in the summer.
Funny how you only mentioned Leinster players there - Surely Leinster aren't the only team producing the cream! Who else had you in mind for "etc"?
Zebo is most obvious outside Leinster. Best of luck to Sexton but I really hope this doesn't open the floodgates and we end up like Wales
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

I'm pretty heartbroken, and a lot of people have already stated more or less how I feel about the whole thing.

We don't know, but I get the impression Johnny wsan't looking for the IRFU to match his offer or anything like it, but to do a little more to make him feel valued. Gerry Thornley and Peter O'Reilly appear to have had the inside track on this one, and have more or less stated that.

One other possible factor in Johnny's thinking that hasn't really been mentioned is that we don't know what the European rugby landscape will look like in two years. A new format for the European Cup has not been agreed, and is not even close to it. This has huge potential knock-on effects for the Irish provinces, but less so the French clubs, where the Top14 is king and always will be. Their playing future is considerably more stable.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

Post by Proudleinsterman »

Phil06 wrote:
Crystal ball not required, just watch Racing play a few matches and then compare them to Clermont, QED.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Proudleinsterman wrote:
Phil06 wrote:
Crystal ball not required, just watch Racing play a few matches and then compare them to Clermont, QED.
You do know Racing have just signed a quality new outhalf?
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Broken Wing wrote: You do know Racing have just signed a quality new outhalf?
If Leinster couldn't beat Clermont with Sexton (at home), I don't see how Racing have any chance.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Zebo, murray, o mahoney at munster, but don't thinkvthere top players yet.
Bowe, best, ferris, possibly Henderson, gilroy in the future.
With the older players we don't need to worry as much as they'll stay in Ireland for the tax breaks.
However what if they may just start coming after our international players in general then were in serious trouble as the cost base will go up and Irish clubs maybe priced out of the market
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

Peg Leg wrote:
LENSTA wrote:HUFFY....Image...

time to step up Iano "try-time" Madser... Jonny u are allowed come back in 2 yrs time... we will need someone to cover the Rabo games when Madser is on national duty :)
Is that a young Shaun Berne?

Ha ha.. tis indeed, he has taken the news rather badly, poor fella... chin up Shauny ol' son...
#ScrapTheLions
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Phil06
Graduate

Post by Phil06 »

Proudleinsterman wrote:
Phil06 wrote:
I watch Top14 every week - agreed, they've been sh!t. And at the moment (yes) Clermont are the exceptional form side (As Toulose were 4/5 years ago). My point is Sexton obviously feels Racing have got a plan for their future and he want's to part of. As I said above, I'd doubt it's all about the money!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Trust Church to lighten the mood on a day like this. I love that man
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

How legit is the Kidney Sexton NZ bust up? I'm wondering why word of this hasn't seeped out earlier or did I just miss that memo completely. You don't have to name names but can you indicate where you came by this info, non-specifics are fine?
#ScrapTheLions
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LENSTA wrote:
How legit is the Kidney Sexton NZ bust up? I'm wondering why word of this hasn't seeped out earlier or did I just miss that memo completely. You don't have to name names but can you indicate where you came by this info, non-specifics are fine?
I got it from two separate sources whose provenance I trust.
I have Bumbleflex