Sexton to Racing

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mcgeenbers
Beginner

Sexton to Racing

Post by mcgeenbers »

I've heard from a couple of well-connected sources today that Sexton has signed for Racing
Fred Funk
Mullet

Re: Sexton to Racing

Post by Fred Funk »

mcgeenbers wrote:I've heard from a couple of well-connected sources today that Sexton has signed for Racing
Discussed here.
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... &start=820
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Worth its own thread. This would be terrible news, a player we really can't afford to lose and a massive undermining of the central contract system.

Leinster and Ireland are built around this guy. What do we do now?

We need to sign an outhalf. We don't have any depth.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote:Worth its own thread. This would be terrible news, a player we really can't afford to lose and a massive undermining of the central contract system.

The IRFU don't care about Leinster and he's still available for selection for O2reland
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

But he won't be rested and he can only train during international windows.

It ain't the same running training without your outhalf, especially when it's someone like Johnny.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Cannot blame him for going when they put a wheelbarrow of money in front of him. We may get him back in two years but what now. Either Madigan needs to step up or we need a big signing. Whats Carter up to.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ronk wrote:Worth its own thread. This would be terrible news, a player we really can't afford to lose and a massive undermining of the central contract system.

The IRFU don't care about Leinster and he's still available for selection for O2reland
of course they do - he, like every other Irish based international are wrapped up in cotton wool, which certainly benefits the IRFU and the National side.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

At least I don't have to worry about renewing my ST now. We've just taken the first step to becoming a soccer team as far as I'm concerned.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder what kind of contingency plan we have in place given that we were obviously hoping he'd stay?

The IRFU needs to act very very quickly and make a massive push to lock down the rest of our best players. I'm not going to criticise them for what's happened in the past because this is the first player that we've actually lost and by all accounts it's just a massive amount of money that they can't compete with anyway.

However, they have to make sure that the floodgates don't open or else Irish rugby is f*cked. It's that big. Cormac mentioned the state of Welsh rugby in the other thread and we have to do absolutely everything in our power to make sure we don't go down that road.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Degz sad.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Is he definitely going to Racing or could it be some other French team?
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Rumour

Post by Rumour »

That is the final straw.
Im joining the movement - Kidney out!
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Any chance we have lined up Dan Carter?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonno6 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

of course they do - he, like every other Irish based international are wrapped up in cotton wool, which certainly benefits the IRFU and the National side.
If they cared, they'd show it. This is a win win for them. Pay him for a few weeks a year, cut the wage bill. They don't care if we win or not, it's about the bums on aviva seats, and who JS plays for wont change that
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah so cynical for one so young. :(
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Given that ROG is intent on playing until he's 40, and that Munster will never refuse him a contract, we should try to poach Hanrahan. He reminds me a lot of a young Sexton - very strong defensively, deceptively quick, slightly streaky with his goal-kicking, very creative but a bit low on confidence. I really think that he would flourish under Joe.

If we can make good signings in other key positions - lock and centre in particular - I'd feel confident of winning another HC with a team that started Madigan at 10 and brought Hanrahan on with 20 to go.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonno6 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: The IRFU don't care about Leinster and he's still available for selection for O2reland
If they cared, they'd show it. This is a win win for them. Pay him for a few weeks a year, cut the wage bill. They don't care if we win or not, it's about the bums on aviva seats, and who JS plays for wont change that
I think they do care, for the reasons outlined above.

However, Sadly, cash dollar and dick measuring competitions have got in the way, with Sexbomb calling their bluff.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

I hate to be so ruthless, but I think Madigan should be starting most of the big games for the rest of the season. I'd certainly start him for the Amlin, anyway. It's a chance for him to get some decent exposure at 10 in a fairly intense European environment.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

True, but to admit that would be them admitting that they don't have faith in their own system, one that has been hugely successful. BOD won't be around long, there are a few other players we need, but Sexton was the jewel in the crown.