Start Madigan v wasps

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bluemagic
Enlightened

Start Madigan v wasps

Post by bluemagic »

With the news that Johnny's gone to France next season I think it's time Madigan was promoted to first choice out half. I'm not being bitter about Johnny leaving he was my favorite player, it's hard to turn down a financial offer of that size. But with Johnny going and us out of the Heineken cup we should be giving Madigan as much time as possible as 10 with the first team to prepare for next season. Good luck to him in France, he decided it was best for him, now leinster should decide what's best for them and not leave it untill next season throw madser in at outhalf
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Start Madigan v wasps

Post by johng »

He possibly would have started anyway.

The way things are going today. The Amlin may be the best chance we have of European silverware for a while.
nopeare
Enlightened

Post by nopeare »

bluemagic wrote:With the news that Johnny's gone to France next season I think it's time Madigan was promoted to first choice out half. I'm not being bitter about Johnny leaving he was my favorite player, it's hard to turn down a financial offer of that size. But with Johnny going and us out of the Heineken cup we should be giving Madigan as much time as possible as 10 with the first team to prepare for next season. Good luck to him in France, he decided it was best for him, now leinster should decide what's best for them and not leave it untill next season throw madser in at outhalf
Fully agree, Best of luck to Sexton would love to see him win the Top 14, I hope to see him in 2 years back with Leinster. But its time to do whats best for us as he has done for himself

IMO thats getting Madigan ready for next season and where possible getting a look at reid as our back up 10.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

nopeare wrote:
bluemagic wrote:With the news that Johnny's gone to France next season I think it's time Madigan was promoted to first choice out half. I'm not being bitter about Johnny leaving he was my favorite player, it's hard to turn down a financial offer of that size. But with Johnny going and us out of the Heineken cup we should be giving Madigan as much time as possible as 10 with the first team to prepare for next season. Good luck to him in France, he decided it was best for him, now leinster should decide what's best for them and not leave it untill next season throw madser in at outhalf
Fully agree, Best of luck to Sexton would love to see him win the Top 14, I hope to see him in 2 years back with Leinster. But its time to do whats best for us as he has done for himself

IMO thats getting Madigan ready for next season and where possible getting a look at reid as our back up 10.
Hopefully we don't sign him back IMO. With game time with the full team he should be as good as sexton in 2 years. It then would be unfair to bring back Sexton when madigan was loyal to us and didnt jump ship. Majorly dissapointed he's gone but don't think it will make sense to sign him back
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

Post by Proudleinsterman »

Frankly, would have Sexton warming the bench for the remainder of the season. He has put his bank balance first, Leinster should now put Leinster first and that would mean giving Madigan as much game time as possible. Will we be looking for a replacement or give Madigan his chance.

PS, Great timing, talk about kicking a club when they are down, But really excited by what Madigan can bring to the table, remember Sexton was an unknown before Dr Phil got injured. Who knows, Madigan starting 10 for Ireland in 2014!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I'm still waiting for the official news of this, but presuming its true;

If you want to do whats best for Leinster, you play the best outhalf you have and win as many trophies as you can.

If the choice was betwwen winning trophies and giving Maddigan more experience, "I pick Johnny".
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Madigan should start. "Doing what's best for Leinster" is not the same as "doing what's best for Leinster this season".
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

nopeare wrote:

This move is all about the money, much prefer watch Madigan lift the HC next year than Jonny lift anything. Anyway, only thing Jonny will be lifting with Racing is a massive pay packet. Racing are miles away from competing for trophies. Would find it easier if he has moving to a Clermont or Toulon where you could argue rugby played some part in his decision. Wonder if the deal with Racing has been signed yet, any chance of a change of heart.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Sexton owes Leinster nothing.

Hope he plays every league game here on in. Give Madigan the Amlin games.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Proudleinsterman wrote:
nopeare wrote:

This move is all about the money, much prefer watch Madigan lift the HC next year than Jonny lift anything. Anyway, only thing Jonny will be lifting with Racing is a massive pay packet. Racing are miles away from competing for trophies. Would find it easier if he has moving to a Clermont or Toulon where you could argue rugby played some part in his decision. Wonder if the deal with Racing has been signed yet, any chance of a change of heart.
You seriously believe going to Toulon would be a better rugby decision ...have you sen their squad?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Logorrhea wrote:I'm still waiting for the official news of this, but presuming its true;
:?:

check www.leinsterrugby.ie
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Degz wrote:Sexton owes Leinster nothing.

Eh.... Yeah he does. Leinster trained him and payed for him when he was sh!t and let him learn off an amazingly talented fly half in contepomi. He finally becomes good and then leaves 3 years later...... Talk about loyalty
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

sid wrote:Madigan should start. "Doing what's best for Leinster" is not the same as "doing what's best for Leinster this season".
Don't agree Sid, Madigan is more than capable of doing a very good job at 10 in the Rabo and Amlin. I would prefer for Madigan to make his mistakes in the Amlin/Rado this year rather than in the HCup next year. How many of us would have thought when Dr Phil got injured that Jonny could come in and cope so well. Madigan is better prepared than Jonny was to come in at 10.

If anything it would send out the right message and reward those who are committed to Leinster. If Leinster want to start Madigan at 10 next year then he needs to be promoted now. Hardly makes sense to have Madigans next european match the first round of the HCup.

Madigan starting does not automatically mean giving up on trophies, I could see us winning both with him.
Last edited by Proudleinsterman on January 25th, 2013, 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Proudleinsterman wrote:
sid wrote:Madigan should start. "Doing what's best for Leinster" is not the same as "doing what's best for Leinster this season".
Don't agree Sid
Actually you agree with me entirely.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

You seriously believe going to Toulon would be a better rugby decision ...have you sen their squad?[/quote]

Have seen it, can't see the problem, they will be challanging for honours and given the rigours of the French league you don't want to be playing every match. And why move to France without moving to the sunny South? Probably 800,000 reasons!
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Post by Justtoby »

When Felipe Contepomi left, a 23/24 year old Jonny Sexton with seemingly fragile confidence stepped up to the plate and lead Leinster to unprecedented success. Now it's time for a 23/24 year old Ian Madigan who doesn't exactly lack confidence to do likewise. While I'm not happy that Sexton is leaving, I'm excited about seeing Madigan develop. Leinster have about 10 games this season to bring him and his backup (Noel Reid, Cathal Marsh or Andrew Goodman) fully up to speed. The should take this opportunity. I'd start Madigan from here on out and wish Sexton well for the future.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

bluemagic wrote:
Degz wrote:Sexton owes Leinster nothing.

Eh.... Yeah he does. Leinster trained him and payed paid for him when he was sh!t Young and let him learn off from an amazingly talented fly half in contepomi who was paid for by Bristol when he was shi.... young. He finally becomes good excelled once given the chanceand then leaves 3 years later becomes the linchpin around which Leinster built their squad. He guided us to 3 HC trophies and some would even say single handedly so the 11' cup...... Talk about loyalty a Hero
Apologies for being a grammar Nazi.

Good luck Johnny!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

cormac wrote: :?: check http://www.leinsterrugby.ie
Yeah I noticed it just after I posted. :(
Peg Leg wrote:
bluemagic wrote:Eh.... Yeah he does. Leinster trained him and payed paid for him when he was sh!t Young and let him learn off from an amazingly talented fly half in contepomi who was paid for by Bristol when he was shi.... young. He finally becomes good excelled once given the chanceand then leaves 3 years later becomes the linchpin around which Leinster built their squad. He guided us to 3 HC trophies and some would even say single handedly so the 11' cup...... Talk about loyalty a Hero
Brilliant :)
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

bluemagic wrote:let him learn off an amazingly talented fly half in contepomi. He finally becomes good and then leaves 3 years later......
And now Madigan is learning from Sexton and will continue to do so for the rest of the season. Benching Johnny for the rest of the season when we have two trophies to win is a daft idea.

Should we boo him when he plays or just sit on our hands when he scores points for Leinster?
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
dod
Knowledgeable

Post by dod »

Logorrhea wrote:
cormac wrote: :?: check http://www.leinsterrugby.ie
Yeah I noticed it just after I posted. :(
Peg Leg wrote:
bluemagic wrote:Eh.... Yeah he does. Leinster trained him and payed paid for him when he was sh!t Young and let him learn off from an amazingly talented fly half in contepomi who was paid for by Bristol when he was shi.... young. He finally becomes good excelled once given the chanceand then leaves 3 years later becomes the linchpin around which Leinster built their squad. He guided us to 3 HC trophies and some would even say single handedly so the 11' cup...... Talk about loyalty a Hero
Brilliant :)
would even say single handedly so the 11' cup

Get it right.. some grammar nazi you are :lol:
Last edited by dod on January 25th, 2013, 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.