Start Madigan v wasps

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Exley
Bookworm

Re: Start Madigan v wasps

Post by Exley »

Bravo Peg Leg.

Bluemagic - take your head out of your hole please.
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

Post by Proudleinsterman »

Justtoby wrote:When Felipe Contepomi left, a 23/24 year old Jonny Sexton with seemingly fragile confidence stepped up to the plate and lead Leinster to unprecedented success. Now it's time for a 23/24 year old Ian Madigan who doesn't exactly lack confidence to do likewise. While I'm not happy that Sexton is leaving, I'm excited about seeing Madigan develop. Leinster have about 10 games this season to bring him and his backup (Noel Reid, Cathal Marsh or Andrew Goodman) fully up to speed. The should take this opportunity. I'd start Madigan from here on out and wish Sexton well for the future.
+1, my sentiments exactly. Leinster are more than capable of killing two birds with the one stone, ie, winning trophies this year with Madigan at 10 and him getting the game time he is going to need, if he is to be our 10 next year.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Exley wrote:Bravo Peg Leg.

Great input. Thanks mate.

As much as I dislike Ogara, he turned down massive money, similar if not more than sextons.

There's more to life than money and 450,000 is a lot of money. Johnny's a smart guy with a degree in commerce. He'll get a job after.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

bluemagic wrote:
Exley wrote:Bravo Peg Leg.

Great input. Thanks mate.

As much as I dislike Ogara, he turned down massive money, similar if not more than sextons.

There's more to life than money and 450,000 is a lot of money. Johnny's a smart guy with a degree in commerce. He'll get a job after.
From who?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

bluemagic wrote:As much as I dislike Ogara, he turned down massive money, similar if not more than sextons.
Source? Not getting at you, but honestly curious if thats true or not.
Proudleinsterman
Knowledgeable

Post by Proudleinsterman »

sid wrote:
Proudleinsterman wrote:
sid wrote:Madigan should start. "Doing what's best for Leinster" is not the same as "doing what's best for Leinster this season".
Don't agree Sid
Actually you agree with me entirely.
Sorry for being so slow, we are in agreement, I blame it on the shock :)
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Numerous French clubs and I'm pretty sure the Miami dolphins offered him upwards of a million
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Yup, and there is porky flying past my window.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

bluemagic wrote:Numerous French clubs and I'm pretty sure the Miami dolphins offered him upwards of a million
The Dolhpins conversation was a quick chat. It didnt develop into anything.

What French clubs though? Cant find anything on the googles about any big offers for O'Gara.
Edit: Come on man, you cant use Hugh Farrelly as a source for anything. Thats complete nonsense.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

dod wrote: Get it right.. some grammar nazi you are :lol:
Doh! :oops:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

100% would start Madigan for the rest of the season with Johnny mentoring him in from the bench. It's better to give him the experience and exposure now and have a couple of heard days at the office (if that even occurs) with the fall back option, than to wait until there is no fall back option and then see how he gets on.

For the record, I think Madigan has potential to become even better than Sexton. Certainly, he's better than Sexton was at his age.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

This is a no brainer. Madigan must start. He looks like becoming a brilliant player and can look forward in the future to a massive contract in France. We should sign him to a 5/6 year contract if we can.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

bluemagic wrote:Numerous French clubs and I'm pretty sure the Miami dolphins offered him upwards of a million
That was ROG just upping the anti IMO. Just talk with no substance.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Degz wrote:Yup, and there is porky flying past my window.
Aw Jaysus hope it's not that swine flew agin!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Coonor
Beginner

Post by Coonor »

I don't think Madigan should simply walk into the team now. Its time to use Madigan a lot more wisely but Sexton is still our number one fly half. No one is bigger than the team but lets not simply make Madigan our first choice, Sexton is still here! Id look to see how Madigan plays during the 6 Nations, for Ireland or for Leinster. What's the point in starting Madigan, if you believe there's a big chance of us losing if he does, surely that would do his confidence no good. Having said that Madigan has played very little rugby at 10 in Leinsters 1st IV. He needs to gell and understand how he fits into the game.

Just letting Madigan start doesn't do anyone any good, he has to earn the jersey. Keep him on his toes, but make sure he has Leinsters backing. If your going to sack off Sexton at this point in the season.... Then who next? Should, HVDM, Cullen, Kearney be dropped if they choose to leave the club?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Proudleinsterman wrote:Frankly, would have Sexton warming the bench for the remainder of the season. He has put his bank balance first, Leinster should now put Leinster first and that would mean giving Madigan as much game time as possible.
Plus one
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

What is wrong with everyone here, we still have two trophies to win and as such should play our best team, that means Sexton.

For all those on here calling for Madigan to start all the big matches with johnny warming the bench, ask yourself this;

If we were going to play Quinns away in a HC QF who would you play?

If the answer is still Madigan then I'm worried for you all.

When Rocky said he wasn't renewing did we drop him? No.
When Felipe signed for Stade did we drop him v Quinns/Munster? No.
When Hines couldn't get an extension did we drop him? No.
When Brad Thorn came in last season were people on here calling for Toner to start ahead of him for Leinsters long term benefit? No.

In all of those caeses we continued to pick the best player in our squad and went on to win with each of them in our team. So people get a grip we'll continue to pick johnny so long as he's available to us and hopefully he'll guide us to a double. Madigan will get opportunities in the Rabo and from the bench barring an injury to johnny.

That is all.