Conway to Munster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Conway to Munster

Post by neiliog93 »

Amid the furore over the Sexton transfer, we've largely ignored this. While I understand a young guy's desire to get regular first-team rugby, it's not exactly guaranteed at Munster, even with Howlett leaving. Largely due to injuries, he never quite lived up to his promising schoolboy billing at Leinster despite a very bright start. His form for the Ireland u-20's shows him as a player of true potential though.

If he develops at Munster, he could become a world-class attacking winger. That would be good for Ireland and great for Conway personally, but a little annoying from a Leinster perspective (unless of course he re-signed with Leinster after a year or two). What are people's thoughts?

I hope there's some sort of clause giving us right of first refusal when this (probably two year) contract runs out anyway..
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Conway to Munster

Post by Logorrhea »

Hes midway through a two year contract. How can he be going anywhere?
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Don't want to lose him but I'd like to see him get a run at full back as think he looks better in that position as he has more time on the ball to pick gaps
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

He's going to Munster. It's in today's Irish Times. Most media has missed it due to the Sexton story.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Talking to friend who works third party for the branch suggested he's still on an academy contract of sorts? Is that the case or does he actually have a senior contract?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

neiliog93 wrote:He's going to Munster. It's in today's Irish Times. Most media has missed it due to the Sexton story.
"on the verge of" does not mean that he's gone!

At least I'm clinging on to that hope.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 51882.html
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

It's speculated that he's going to Munster, the same way it was speculated that Ruddock was going to Munster. I'd hardly call it a done deal, especially considering that he has another year left to run on his contract.

I wouldn't mind him going if there was some sort of trade off to the deal, like signing Nacewa on for another 2 years and an agreement for him to come back after 2 years, or a big NIQ signing.

It's worth bearing in mind also that Hudson and Coughlin-Murray are coming out of the academy at the end of this season, as well as losing Carr (and Sexton, jesus, now I know how Connacht fans feel) so it would be a good opportunity for them. There's also Boyle due out of the academy the following year and Adam Byrne the year after that, so like most positions, one comes out, one comes in at Leinster. It's just a case of making sure you pick the best ones to keep.

Conway has disappointed in terms of expectation, but that's not to say he couldn't still become a top class international player if given the game time - it just seems unlikely he'll force his way into the Leinster team any time soon.

Also opens speculation regarding Howlets future down south...
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

Logorrhea wrote:Hes midway through a two year contract. How can he be going anywhere?
It's not soccer, if a player wants to move he'll be let
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Fair enough (though I dont accept he'll be just let go ...... )

Spose it would be a great signing for Munster.

Fullback has been a problem position for them, and Conway would give them cover for Felix, and the option to move either Conway (too soon), or Zebo in there.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

AdamK wrote:Talking to friend who works third party for the branch suggested he's still on an academy contract of sorts? Is that the case or does he actually have a senior contract?
Don't think he's been on an academy contract since his first year with Leinster in 09/10. Pretty sure he signed a 2-year development deal in Summer 2010 and a 2-year senior contract last April. He's probably not on that big a salary considering his position within the squad though.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Rumour doing the rounds is that Howlett's becoming a backs coach and may take over from Mannix - sooner rather than later!

Conway, if he hits form is a shoe-in for fb or rw. Can't blame him for fleeing a sinking ship.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Have it from a good source that's he's gone alright. :-(

Still trying to figure out how it happened or is being allowed to happen by the IRFU.

We got a huge amount of grief for signing McCarthy from Connacht but we went through the right protocols and he was coming to the end of his contract. As Conway is only six months into a 2 year deal, how would Munster be able to approach him?

However apparently the blazers at the IRFU want the move to happen so, screw everything, it's happening anyway.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:Have it from a good source that's he's gone alright. :-(

Still trying to figure out how it happened or is being allowed to happen by the IRFU.

We got a huge amount of grief for signing McCarthy from Connacht but we went through the right protocols and he was coming to the end of his contract. As Conway is only six months into a 2 year deal, how would Munster be able to approach him?

However apparently the blazers at the IRFU want the move to happen so, screw everything, it's happening anyway.
I'd hope we're getting suitable compensation for him.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

cormac wrote:

I'd hope we're getting suitable compensation for him.
Damn straight. And throw in JJ Hanrahan for luck.... :wink:
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

It's a lot more than speculation if Gerry "Conservative-Lick-Arse-I-Don't-Want-To-Offend-Anyone" Thornley reports that it's "on the verge of happening" in the Irish Times. More bad news.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

howlett leaves and only decent wingers they have are zebo (misses games with ireland) and o'dea so he would play a lot in that scenario, plus jones out injured a lot. howlett retiring fres a good chunk out of wage bill for other signings

afaik conway had one year in academy before being promoted to senior deal
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Post by Justtoby »

Logorrhea wrote:Hes midway through a two year contract. How can he be going anywhere?
I'm open to correction but I think Eoin Reddan still had a year left on his Wasps contract when he moved to Leinster. Contracts can be broken; see Steven Sykes for another recent example.

Assuming this is true, the only reason I can see Leinster granting Conway a release from his contract to join Munster is if they get something or someone from Munster in return.

Conway was a better player at 18 and 19 than Craig Gilroy and Simon Zebo. Brendan Macken was better than Eoin Griffin at the same age. Luke McGrath was arguably better than Kieran Marmion. We all hold Leinster up to the highest standards and rightly so. Here's the elephant in the room; are the backs coming through the academy developing their skill sets as well as they should be compared to those in other provinces? Game time isn't the issue since both Conway and Macken have played a lot of rugby for the senior team.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Apocrypha wrote:Rumour doing the rounds is that Howlett's becoming a backs coach and may take over from Mannix - sooner rather than later!

Conway, if he hits form is a shoe-in for fb or rw. Can't blame him for fleeing a sinking ship.
To join one that's already sunk and with no competition across the backline..makes sense really
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Sorry for your loss Donny. It's been a tough week to be a Leinsterfan. First you lose out to a rake of teams far worse than you in the HEC, and now this, along with Sexton. You and every, true Leisnterfan have my condolences. In unison they're especially hard blows to take.

The way things are going all our top players are now going to be targetted. IMO, the provinces need to be proactive and not reactive. This may seem crazy, but if I was a Leinsterfan (in particular), I'd be advocating a move to the AP or T14, especially as you already have various sugardaddies, in situ. The Rabo is fast becoming a complete joke, with decimated squads and empty stadia. What is really needed though is an equivilent to the Super15, with the top 20 teams in Europe playing in a Euro league.
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

Apocrypha wrote:
Sorry for your loss Donny. It's been a tough week to be a Leinsterfan. First you lose out to a rake of teams far worse than you in the HEC, and now this, along with Sexton. You and every, true Leisnterfan have my condolences. In unison they're especially hard blows to take.

The way things are going all our top players are now going to be targetted. IMO, the provinces need to be proactive and not reactive. This may seem crazy, but if I was a Leinsterfan (in particular), I'd be advocating a move to the AP or T14, especially as you already have various sugardaddies, in situ. The Rabo is fast becoming a complete joke, with decimated squads and empty stadia. What is really needed though is an equivilent to the Super15, with the top 20 teams in Europe playing in a Euro league.
Apocraphya its a discussion for a different day and a different thread but I am increasingly coming into line with that viewpoint
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!