Thank you Isa

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Thank you Isa

Post by AdamK »

He's available. I think his hand is f%~ked, it's completely put him off form this year, and maybe he's making the wise decision that his body won't do another season.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Just thinking, if Joe gets the Irish job would Leinster not look at a Johnno and Isa double act?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

the spoofer wrote:Just thinking, if Joe gets the Irish job would Leinster not look at a Johnno and Isa double act?
He wants to live in Auckland. ASAP. Zero chance of him doing anything here.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

:(

Thank you Isa.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the spoofer wrote:Just thinking, if Joe gets the Irish job would Leinster not look at a Johnno and Isa double act?
we'll have to back do with BOD as backs coach after Joe :)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

johng wrote:
tate wrote:so f%~ked he wont play again this year?
Is he not playing on Saturday?
I think that's the point he's making.

As well as the Leicester try, my favourite Isa moment was his line, break and floated pass to set up D'Arcys try versus Munster in the HEC quarter in 2009.

It was pure class. We had been under a bit of pressure, but that try put the pressure on Munster and quietened the unwashed hordes in the stands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skz9bYaoU6k
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Thanks Isa, not only for your footballing brilliance but also your incredible physical commitment. A class act on and off the pitch and will be sorely missed :clap: :cry:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

deco wrote:
johng wrote:
tate wrote:so f%~ked he wont play again this year?
Is he not playing on Saturday?

As well as the Leicester try, my favourite Isa moment was his line, break and floated pass to set up D'Arcys try versus Munster in the HEC quarter in 2009.

It was pure class. We had been under a bit of pressure, but that try put the pressure on Munster and quietened the unwashed hordes in the stands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skz9bYaoU6k
Semi
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1334659

Even as he looked you in the eye and repeated it ad nauseum it was hard to believe that not only would Isa Nacewa not be playing for Leinster again after this season, nor would he be playing professional rugby again either. But Nacewa was adamant.

This was, he stressed, purely a family decision, so as he and Simone’s three young Irish-born girls can be reared around their extended family in Auckland. But given he is such a freakishly natural talent and athlete, and that he’s merely turning 31 this summer, it’s still hard to credit.

“I’ve said that to him about 15 times,” quipped Leinster manager Guy Easterby, a figure which Joe Schmidt could probably double. But Nacewa maintained he was sure in his own mind.

“I am. I told you I did want to retire here and I’m happy with what I’ve achieved here at Leinster, and that’s the main thing. The environment is special and I want to come back here in 20 years’ time and watch games at the RDS and wear a Leinster jersey, and I’m happy with that.”

Three Heineken Cups in his five seasons has also made for the most rewarding period in his career. “It’s a different environment in Auckland but I’ve loved my time here at Leinster and I think playing with the quality of players here has made it that much more special. In 20 years time I can tell everyone I played with Shaggy and Drico and Girv. They’re all guys that I always admired and I’ve had the privilege to play with.”

Nor has he ever had the same rapport with a set of supporters. “Yea definitely. The fans here, I’ve always said, are second to none. They’re the most passionate fans that I’ve been around and the RDS is a special place.”

Hence, “losing at the RDS at any time would be hands down the worst moment. Those ones hurt for a long time”.

Favourites? “Too many to think of.” Favourite try, that match-winner in the quarter-finals against Leicester at the Aviva in 2011? “Nah,” he smiled before adding: “Team tries, any of the team tries. I think we scored a good one against Saracens, I think I got on the end of a nice touch from Drico.”

As Nacewa was under contract for another season, Leinster are permitted to replace him with another nominated left-winger from overseas who may be allowed to play in another position with the IRFU’s permission, although it remains to be seen how long a contract will be sanctioned.

There had been no contact with All Blacks’ winger Corey Jane, and it is understood that a South African replacement is likelier, with Easterby not ruling out a move for Zane Kirchener, of whom Nacewa spoke very positively.

“While Isa has been an absolute legend here, and that’s without question, both on and off the pitch, Isa was not going to be here for ever and we were always going to have to replace him,” said Easterby, who pointed out that whether or not the replacement was rated as one of the best in the world, “until they fit into our team and how our team plays you’re sort of doing a bit of guess work.

“All I can say is we are working damndest to make sure that we fill that position not only with the highest quality player but also the highest quality person.”
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

ronk wrote: Semi
I rather enjoyed it too.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ceemec wrote:
ronk wrote: Semi
I rather enjoyed it too.
Oo-er missus.....
blues_fan
Knowledgeable

Post by blues_fan »

Isa retires, they've gotten f%^&*g Gopperth the droppeth and now they are thinking about KIRCHNER!@#$!#@ The man who never met an open field running opportunity whose solution wasn't a kick and chase. Wake up Leinster just 'coz they have the same haircut doesn't mean they'll be the same player! Only thing that could cheer me up now is if Sir John gets the cheque book out and makes bubs an offer he can't refuse.

Finally, 'grats to Isa on finishing his career. A lot of wasted potential unfortunately as the international stage sorely could have used a special player like him, whether it was for Ireland, Fiji or the ABs. Also great to see how much respect he has earned from the fans in this thread, cf. with his welcoming thread, many were underwhelmed!
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

blues_fan wrote:Isa retires, they've gotten f%^&*g Gopperth the droppeth and now they are thinking about KIRCHNER!@#$!#@ The man who never met an open field running opportunity whose solution wasn't a kick and chase. Wake up Leinster just 'coz they have the same haircut doesn't mean they'll be the same player! Only thing that could cheer me up now is if Sir John gets the cheque book out and makes bubs an offer he can't refuse.

Finally, 'grats to Isa on finishing his career. A lot of wasted potential unfortunately as the international stage sorely could have used a special player like him, whether it was for Ireland, Fiji or the ABs. Also great to see how much respect he has earned from the fans in this thread, cf. with his welcoming thread, many were underwhelmed!
Retrospectively, the most embarrassing moment I've had as a Leinster fan was wincing when I saw Nacewa @ 15 against Munster for the Croke Park match :oops: :oops: :oops:

His form in the 2010/11 season was truly exceptional. Arguably the form full back in the world at the time.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

He will be missed. Leicester try was one of the best I have seen. He turned them inside out even getting one to trip himself up.

Can we keep the name for some other player as it was one of the only good one for chants that we have.

It is a pity that a couple of minutes on the pitch for Fiji. He could potentially had a spot with NZ and it would have been interesting to see if he would have hung around if he was qualified to play for us.

Any way.... Best of luck to him and his family in the future. In the end rugby is just a game and family is what counts.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqziLOgwwgg

In the IT article, he mentioned a team try V Saracens as one of his highlights if he had to pick one. I think he may have meant the one at about 3.45mins on the link above.
God we were smokin that day, apart from Luke.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 72819.html

Fup that! A statue of the man is what we want. But not done by whoever did Sir Alex's one outside Old Trafford.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Shame it had to be someone from Fianna Fail who suggested it.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

He's Mirriam O'Callaghan's little bro.