Gettin worried now.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

crumlinbob
Bookworm

Gettin worried now.

Post by crumlinbob »

Carr, Sexton, Conway, Nascewa, Van Der Merwe, Hagan, Fitzer (?), BOD(?), Cullen (?). Im gettin sick and tired of the bad news lads. Wheres the good news? Renewed my season ticket last week and now wondering if I made a mistake!
Life's a lot more fun when you're not responsible for your actions.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: Gettin worried now.

Post by suisse »

The big problem is the players leaving are either well experienced (Sexton, HVDM, Nacewa, Luke, maybe) or have had a lot of try outs (Carr, Hagan, Conway). And there is uncertainty over BOD and Cullen. If they retire, that's 200+ international caps gone, plus a whole heap of club rugby experience. So far, coming in, we have Mike McCarthy. Is that so far? Going to be difficult to replace those guys. Some people here are always going on hard about some of the lads in Academy who played really well in the B&I Cup, but getting guys to the level of the ones moved on will take years. There is going to a relatively big mid season Dragons away type fixture experience missing.

I think we're in big trouble with injuries/internationals unless every player leaving is going to be replaced with one of similar experience and quality.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Off topic, but why would renewing your season ticket be a mistake? Surely you support Leinster and not just their success?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

AdamK wrote:Off topic, but why would renewing your season ticket be a mistake? Surely you support Leinster and not just their success?
Meh everyone has their own reasons.

I do it for the scarf, the opportunity to steal stationary, and to wave my season ticket around at social occasions.

I don't actually go to any of the matches.
crumlinbob
Bookworm

Post by crumlinbob »

I do indeed support Leinster and not just for their success. However if leinster are reducing their squad in terms of quality then should I not expect a reduction in my season ticket price also?
Life's a lot more fun when you're not responsible for your actions.
pip14
Learner

Post by pip14 »

Spare a thought for Ulster. 17 players missing 3 weeks ago
bedlam9999
Learner

Post by bedlam9999 »

crumlinbob wrote:I do indeed support Leinster and not just for their success. However if leinster are reducing their squad in terms of quality then should I not expect a reduction in my season ticket price also?
no
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

AdamK wrote:Off topic, but why would renewing your season ticket be a mistake? Surely you support Leinster and not just their success?
This
This
This
This
This

Geographical issues with getting to matches fine, finances effecting purchase of ticket fine, kick off times effecting practicalities of getting to matches eg with kids, work etc fine. All reasons why someone cant justify a season ticket. But come on you support Leinster or you dont.

I am sure the OP didnt mean it to come across like this but some of the posts on the different threads are ridiculous. The players always talked about building a legacy which 3 cup wins in 4 years has done in my book. Success is never guaranteed Manchester United had to endure a 26 year wait for a league title before they finally got their 8th title in 1993. Leicester Tigers were Euro kingpins in the early part of this century and have been trying to get back there ever since. Sure there are fans who stick by things through thick and thin because that is just their team and those who jump ship(but usually make up an excuse for their reasons like they are voting with their feet) but its their loss, let them chase the gold somewhere else. At the end of last season people were threatening to not renew because they were not guaranteed HCUP final tickets this year its because they believe we are not going to be competing in Cup Finals meh. meh. you cant win.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Bitter As a Lemon
Knowledgeable

Post by Bitter As a Lemon »

crumlinbob wrote:Carr, Sexton, Conway, Nascewa, Van Der Merwe, Hagan, Fitzer (?), BOD(?), Cullen (?). Im gettin sick and tired of the bad news lads. Wheres the good news? Renewed my season ticket last week and now wondering if I made a mistake!
WOW !
When did you go to your first game, late 2009 or 2010?
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

crumlinbob wrote:Carr, Sexton, Conway, Nascewa, Van Der Merwe, Hagan, Fitzer (?), BOD(?), Cullen (?). Im gettin sick and tired of the bad news lads. Wheres the good news? Renewed my season ticket last week and now wondering if I made a mistake!
If you are that easily put off buying your season ticket, perhaps you have made a mistake. Perhaps the good news is that you can afford a season ticket, quite a few people arounf where I am in the ground are gone, not seen all year. People that have been going to games since we 1st started out in the RDS, gone, not a sign of them. Now thats bad news. We may not be winning 3 H-cups in 4 years, every 4 years. We wont be in 2 finals each year every year.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Ian madigan, thats good news. The fact that we can produce these players, Madigan, Murphy, Ryan. All good news. I remember when we have an outhalf problem for 7 or 8 years, ended by the arrival of Dr Phil, before that we had lads who were not fit to collect trolly's at Tesco.
drive for 5
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

crumlinbob wrote:I do indeed support Leinster and not just for their success. However if leinster are reducing their squad in terms of quality then should I not expect a reduction in my season ticket price also?
Jaysus, off to connacht with you if you want a reduction based on the quality of the team. Thats a downward spiral. Perhaps you can wait and see what happens, see who comes in and give these new accademy players a chance. If they dont provide entertainment you can always have fun booing them and then dont renew next year. Your in now, may as well buckle up and enjoy the ride, if it doesnt work out you can always switch to a more successful team next year.
drive for 5
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I'm leaving getting worried til next year when Joe, Leo and BOD leave
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Don't be worried, in joe we trust.

Carr is useless Adam Byrne or Hudson will replace him
Conway is a Loss of a potentially great player but hasn't done it yet for us so not to big a loss
Sexton well hopefully madigan will step up
Isa we will obviously need a replacement, but Dave Kearney looks ready for more 1st team action
McGrath is ready to be back up loosehead now he's been very good in recent games and if hank wasn't leaving I'd say we'd run the risk of losing him
Hagan well furlong and Moore I think will both be better plus we have Ross and bent(remember stan wright didn't have a great first season either.
Fitzgerald is resigning a 2 year contract apparently so don't worry, he's a rock boy limerick would be too much of a culture shock for him.
Leo will defo go on for another year, second rows can play forever plus I like the look of Ben Marshall as his ultimate replacement
BOD is BOD, he can't be replaced but I have a sneaky feeling he might try for the next World Cup, he's still the best 2nd centre in the world so why stop now
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

Crumlinbob missed Tom Sexton and Damian Browne (probably have to retire due to longterm injury) from his list but Treacy can replace TS and Masterson is good enough to fill Browne's place. Leo has confirmed he's staying on so I agree with your summary we've plenty to look forward to as long as the IRFU don't poach Joe!
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

rdsblue wrote:Crumlinbob missed Tom Sexton and Damian Browne (probably have to retire due to longterm injury) from his list but Treacy can replace TS and Masterson is good enough to fill Browne's place. Leo has confirmed he's staying on so I agree with your summary we've plenty to look forward to as long as the IRFU don't poach Joe!
IRFU poaching Joe would entail an entirely out of character breathtaking display of foresight and competency

less worried about Joe leaving in a year with Cotter available then
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
awol
Bookworm

Post by awol »

Any word on Browne? Think he really did the business for us and quite liked him as a player...
Worried - nah, I remember going to watch us in Musgrave and expecting a stuffing more often than not.... Swings and Roundabouts!!

(Although i have really fond memories of either 07 or 08 on a night when weather was so bad could barely see the pitch from the sideline, and the Pack came good. Think it was Jennings and Leo who dominated... 3-10... Epic, particularly being one of about what looked like 15 Leinster fans in the Park...)
Wexford man stuck in Cork....
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

awol wrote:Any word on Browne? Think he really did the business for us and quite liked him as a player...
Worried - nah, I remember going to watch us in Musgrave and expecting a stuffing more often than not.... Swings and Roundabouts!!

(Although i have really fond memories of either 07 or 08 on a night when weather was so bad could barely see the pitch from the sideline, and the Pack came good. Think it was Jennings and Leo who dominated... 3-10... Epic, particularly being one of about what looked like 15 Leinster fans in the Park...)
30th of November 2007. I remember the date as I flew out of the country that day and missed it. Think that was our last game there.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Wish I had the free cash and time to justify a season ticket. Two kids with one on the way and a new business with 14 hour days can make it difficult to find the money or time to get to the games. Watched half of one game on silent in background while on a skype business call.

I am not getting worried yet. Leinster have in the past made some mistakes but everyone is human. On the whole they have done more right and been progressive a in the way most fans would like the IRFU to be. They have recruited well on both the management and player front and I am putting my trust in them. Transitions in teams should only happen when there is some unforeseen even which costs you a large number of you front line and back up players in one go. Like what happened to us in the early season but on a permanent basis. Outside of that I expect the management to have a plan for every position and every player. They should and I think do know all the foreseeable risks and are planning for them. Their hands are tied a bit with the NIQ recruitment policy but the development of the younger guys has been good.

We fans do not see what goes on in training and do not see the fitness stats to see if the young guys are improving. We have to trust that they have it in hand.

I went to a few of the old inter pro games as a school boy but I really started following Leinster over a decade ago. I even remember bringing my other half to a celtic league game in a half full and freezing Donnybrook. It is amazing that she stuck with me. There will be bad days and hopefully good ones in the future but you can not expect to have earned the good times without being there no matter the outcome.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I spent a lot of my childhood crying after Leinster repeatedly fell short. Never abandon them!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!