Pro12: Munster v Leinster, Shelbyville, Sat 13th

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TimD
Bookworm

Re: Pro12: Munster v Leinster, Shelbyville, Sat 13th

Post by TimD »

suisse wrote:I'd say Ian Madigan's confidence is sky rocketing at this stage. We've gone to Adams Park and Thomand Park on consecutive weekends and come away with 2 wins and 70 points scored. I find it hard to imagine too many sides in Europe would achieve that feat. Ian Madigan has also scored 45 of those 70 points, including one try. There were always going to be questions asked him temperament away from the comforts of the RDS but I think he has overcome the first two tests very well. And they are big tests. Wasps and Munster may not be near the quality of their glory years, but these are clubs with significant pedigree and 4 HECs between them in the last 10 years.

It is going to be nice having a player of Jimmy Gopperth's quality on the bench so we can bring him on, if needs be, in difficult conditions like this and guide us home.

I was really impressed with Madigan's tackling yesterday. He nailed POM who was really motoring and really throws himself into contact.

I really like J10 but I would be a little disappointed if Madigan does hold onto that 10 jersey for the rest of the season. His form demands it. And he's our 10 next season.

A Madigan/Gopperth combination is really exciting for next season.

Well played young man.
It looked like Munster were targeting him early on. I found that a but weird because if they'd done any video analysis they'd have known he was strong defensively. He showed it a few times too, like when he drive back POM in the tackle.

Loved his side steps and beautiful pass to Isa in the first half. Much as I like J10 he wouldn't have had the quick feet for that
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Madigan had a good turnover on the deck too. Some big collisions from him
TimD
Bookworm

Post by TimD »

ronk wrote:Madigan had a good turnover on the deck too. Some big collisions from him
Yeah very good turnover alright. Sextons defence is top class but Madigans is of a similar standard. He probably doesn't do a choke tackle as well because he isn't tall enough

I will say I hate the choke tackle/maul rule. I find it penalises the attacking team too much and a bit negative. I think it's unfair on the attacking team.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

I'm not so convinced as everyone else on the citing and disciplinary process as it currently stands.

Yes, the league brought in a new citing process a couple of seasons ago (I believe it was after Shane Jennings' lawyer successfully argued that, according to the rules at the time, the league had no legal right to cite a player?) but as far as I know the actual disciplinary process is still undertaken by the home union. If this is the case then there is simply no way POC will be allowed to be banned for the Clermont match - there will be some mitigating factor found.

As to those who mentioned POC in the H-Cup and Fla in the 6 Nations - both of these competitions use international disciplinary committees.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

AdamK wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:POCs kick was pretty sickening. You just don't see players run in to kick a prone player on the head in open field. It' simply not acceptable. He ran forward, the kick connected full on the players head, how is that unintentional? And if it was not his intended target it was extremely dangerous.(and for rte pundits, dangerous ain't allowed either)

Regardless of how sound a guy paulie is (and from meeting him he is as sound as they come), and what it does to his chances of going to auz or munsters chances in the Hcup , wrong is still wrong.
Ah c'mon, POC deserves to stand infront of a panel for this due to recklessness, but there's no way POC would charge up and kick a defenceless prone player in the head... ON PURPOSE. Like what did Dave do to wind him up that much? Not a chance it was on purpose. Just usual locks being oafs is all.
Do you have to demonstrate intent to find someone guilty of dangerous play ? Accident or otherwise rugby is a dangerous sport and the laws are there to protect players as far as possible. Like others I've never thought of poc as dirty - plays on the edge alright - but to say what he did last night was reckless in the extreme was an understatement. But I imagine there will be no action as the blazers won't want to harm their hc aspirations.

The incident was a real shame as poc was everywhere last night - he did almost everything right and it was an amazing display
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

colster wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:

What's the last interprovincial citing you can remember?
John Hayes stamp on Healy is the last one I remember.
...and O'Connell told the ref that Stan Wright "has to go". Sorry, I don't buy into this rubbish that O'Connell is a saint. He's constantly mouthy and has plenty of previous misdemeanors. I haven't seen the kick on DK, so can't comment on that.
Great game to be at, surprised at how many empty seats there were around the ground - it's the first time this fixture hasn't sold out. Good banter with the Munster fans around during and after the match.

Delighted with McGrath when he came on. Why was Roux subbed? He didn't look happy coming off.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

No one is saying POC is a saint. He's a tough and talented rugby player and an excellent leader. But he himself should be ashamed and worried about the kick to DKearney's head. It was totally reckless and deserves a citing and several weeks rest for POC. Whether this happens or not remains to be seen.
Four Stars
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

deco wrote:
colster wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:

What's the last interprovincial citing you can remember?
John Hayes stamp on Healy is the last one I remember.
...and O'Connell told the ref that Stan Wright "has to go". Sorry, I don't buy into this rubbish that O'Connell is a saint. He's constantly mouthy and has plenty of previous misdemeanors. I haven't seen the kick on DK, so can't comment on that.
Great game to be at, surprised at how many empty seats there were around the ground - it's the first time this fixture hasn't sold out. Good banter with the Munster fans around during and after the match.

Delighted with McGrath when he came on. Why was Roux subbed? He didn't look happy coming off.
Dead leg for Roux, according to the Leinster report. Who knows? Personally, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

O'Connell kicking Kearney: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-GhyiAR ... e=youtu.be

O'Connell's not a saint, but he's clearly a decent guy [in my opinion]. That was extremely reckless and very dangerous though - we've all seen instances where a guy throwing himself on a breaking ball gets an accidental kick in the mush for his trouble, but Kearney was prone on the ground [unheld, with possession of the ball after making a catch], so there was only one way it was ever going to pan out. Very, very reckless from O'Connell.

Fog of war/mis-timed/unintentional? Almost certainly. Extremely dangerous? Certainly.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Loved the shout from the terrace when Kilcoyne was coming off:

"Is that Kilcoyne?"

"Yes"

"Why do yez call him Killer?"

BOOM! :lol:
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Xanthippe wrote:I'm not so convinced as everyone else on the citing and disciplinary process as it currently stands.

Yes, the league brought in a new citing process a couple of seasons ago (I believe it was after Shane Jennings' lawyer successfully argued that, according to the rules at the time, the league had no legal right to cite a player?) but as far as I know the actual disciplinary process is still undertaken by the home union. If this is the case then there is simply no way POC will be allowed to be banned for the Clermont match - there will be some mitigating factor found.

As to those who mentioned POC in the H-Cup and Fla in the 6 Nations - both of these competitions use international disciplinary committees.
The citing commissioner is from the home union. In this case it's Eddie Walsh who I believe is from the Connacht branch. He is the man who cited Sexton for the Mafi incident in 2009 so has previous for citing players in this fixture.

If POC is cited, he will go in front of a committee appointed by the league that will not be made up of IRFU officials. For example, Nick de Luca's recent hearing was in front of an entirely Irish panel and his appeal was in front of a Welsh and Irish panel.

If POC is cited, he'll be banned, I think. I reckon it's 50/50 on the citing though. If it was in September, no doubt. Not so sure now.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

deco wrote:Loved the shout from the terrace when Kilcoyne was coming off:

"Is that Kilcoyne?"

"Yes"

"Why do yez call him Killer?"

BOOM! :lol:
Did it get a response because I'd love to know why they call him killer? Is it ironic like how Americans might call a really big guy "Tiny"?

On yesterday's evidence Kilcoyne is a decent player but Healy is still miles ahead and it looks like McGrath has pushed past him too.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Judging from Owen's comments in the video, I'm not sure he saw the incident. Seems to be refering to Jones' challenge on Dave K. How anyone can think the kick was intentional is beyond me. If it were intentional, he certainly wouldn't go over and check on his condition immeadiately after the ball went out of play. Having said that, it was wreckless use of the boot which imho should be a citing.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Some great games from players on both sides.

Good display for the future Irish coach( who ever that may be?).

Mads, Boss, McGrath, jennings, and TOD POM dowling all could get a mention in dispatches
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

deco wrote:
...and O'Connell told the ref that Stan Wright "has to go". Sorry, I don't buy into this rubbish that O'Connell is a saint. He's constantly mouthy and has plenty of previous misdemeanors.
He did. Neither do I. He most definitely does.

He should get a hefty ban for that scandalous full on kick to the head.
3 Gold Stars
Mickado
Knowledgeable

Post by Mickado »

Madigan now tops the golden boot league by my reckoning. 86.7% with the last 20 in a row scored.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
Royston Sole
Knowledgeable

Post by Royston Sole »

ceemec wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:I'm not so convinced as everyone else on the citing and disciplinary process as it currently stands.

The citing commissioner is from the home union. In this case it's Eddie Walsh who I believe is from the Connacht branch. He is the man who cited Sexton for the Mafi incident in 2009 so has previous for citing players in this fixture.

If POC is cited, he will go in front of a committee appointed by the league that will not be made up of IRFU officials. For example, Nick de Luca's recent hearing was in front of an entirely Irish panel and his appeal was in front of a Welsh and Irish panel.

If POC is cited, he'll be banned, I think. I reckon it's 50/50 on the citing though. If it was in September, no doubt. Not so sure now.

He simply has to be cited.

If he isn't then the Disciplinary Panel won't be able to exonerate him completely on the basis that he is an ageing player with poor eyesight who completely mistook RK's black hair for a white rugby ball - a wholly understandable mistake. (As an aside, POC's poor eyesight may also explain why he had to question Nigel about every single penalty awarded against Munster.)
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/o ... 850?page=2

The IT completely ignores the biggest talking point of the game.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Cianostays wrote:Judging from Owen's comments in the video, I'm not sure he saw the incident. Seems to be refering to Jones' challenge on Dave K. How anyone can think the kick was intentional is beyond me. If it were intentional, he certainly wouldn't go over and check on his condition immeadiately after the ball went out of play. Having said that, it was wreckless use of the boot which imho should be a citing.
That's the point!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Apart from POC's assault and our handling errors, Nigel missed an awful lot from last night. Varley playing the ball on the ground for their 1st try, Downey taking BOD out for their 2nd. Both tries should have been called back.

As for the disallowed Kearney one :?

Fair play to the lads for winning this one in spite of poor officiating.
3 Gold Stars
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Had a quick scan of MFN.com, jaysus, I thought we had a few one-eyed loonies here but they are unreal. Between Owens mugging them and DK's reckless behavior in placing the ball close to his head while isolated they feel very hard done by. Others are delighted by their team's superiority - back to being world beaters as our star fades, um, confidently overlooking the score line.

Fair few Leinster eejits riling them up however.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.