4 years ago today

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Rogocoko
Knowledgeable

4 years ago today

Post by Rogocoko »

We beat beat Quins in the H-Cup Quarter Final at the Stoop....

I can't believe its 4 years... but was a real turning point... we ditched the "Ladyboy" image, the supporters showed how to get behind a team and Dean Richards found out that cheating doesn't always win you games!

I never would have thought on that day that in 4 years time we'd have 3 Heineken cups! I wonder what will happen over the next 4......
Munster. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: 4 years ago today

Post by johng »

Seems longer.
I wonder how many non Quins fans have been at both of their HC qfs?
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

I was there :D :D :D
what a day
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

I can understand those who say Clermont s-f away win last season was our greatest ever win but the Stoop 4 years ago was the start of a fantastic run of results & helped our development from underachievers into a very good team 3 times Heineken Cup winning team.

On 12th April 2009 we survived Felipe getting yellow card to win 6-5 & althoough not as spectacular as some other days it was a great team win with our back row that day of Jenno, Jamie, & Rocky having one of their best ever days. It was also a privelage to be amongst 2,500 of us Leinster supporters that outshouted Harlequins at the Stoop.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

A cracking weekend and the start of the one of the most enjoyable six/seven weeks of my life. The relief and pride in that win, the nervousness leading up to the SF, THE SF! and then the whole period leading up to the final. I don't think I will ever forget it. It's not every day that you get made a (temporary) moderator on LF.com!
A proud Winsome Fluter
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

johng wrote:Seems longer.
As Max Boyce used to say, I was there both times. Pointed it out on their forum a few days ago :lol:
Flying wedge
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Flew out of Shannon that morning, one other Leinster fan on the plane; didn't speak to him just a little nod.

Flew back into Shannon that night; exchanging massive grins; Locals telling us we'd never beat them in the Heineken.

The few weeks that followed rank among the best of my life.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

footrush wrote:
johng wrote:Seems longer.
As Max Boyce used to say, I was there both times. Pointed it out on their forum a few days ago :lol:
OK just two of us so far then. :)
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Rogocoko wrote:We beat beat Quins in the H-Cup Quarter Final at the Stoop....

I can't believe its 4 years... but was a real turning point... we ditched the "Ladyboy" image, the supporters showed how to get behind a team and Dean Richards found out that cheating doesn't always win you games!

I never would have thought on that day that in 4 years time we'd have 3 Heineken cups! I wonder what will happen over the next 4......
Methinks that deserves a tweet!
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

I swore if I ever saw Quins win the Heineken Cup after that, I'd never watch Rugby again.

Thank you Munster. (I still hate you)
Benji
Knowledgeable

Post by Benji »

That was a great win. Backs to the wall defence and it gave the team great belief. We really havent been a soft touch defensively since.
A great weekend had by all.
Three great years
Offiah
Bookworm

Post by Offiah »

I remember watching Munster smash the spreys in the Cabbage Patch pre match and thinking we got to win this one today. Best away day atmosphere I've been at. Quins still haven't learned. That day they put us all in the same shed. Savage atmosphere. I couldn't drink or speak to anyone for 2 hours after and had a pounding headache.
Obviously some brilliant days since including Wasps last week but it'll be tough to top that day
The Overseer
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

That was back in the days when the team travelled on scheduled flights with the rest of us. I was lucky enough to be on the same Aer Lingus flight back to Dublin that night and Dr Phil was thanking us for the support in that awesome way he had of greeting anyone in a Leinster jersey like an old friend. I could barely speak at that stage!

I cannot believe it was 4 years ago. It was at about 65 minutes into the match when Quins were all over us and we just weren't letting them through that I suddenly got this complete confidence that we were going to win that year.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

That day was magic. Absoloute Magic. It really was the first time I was at a Leinster match where I felt like we dragged them, kicking and screaming, over the finish line. I was utterly hoarse for the rest of the evening...............................hell, we all were and none of us cared. A genuine honour and privilage to say I was there.

4 years ago..........................flippin' hell.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Players voted us Player of the Month IIRC.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

deco wrote:Players voted us Player of the Month IIRC.
Yep.
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... 8&start=20
Personally the best game I have ever been to. It was the moment we turned the corner and became a big game winning team. BOD's face at the end of that game summed it up for me. I'm sure he knew then that the team had moved up to another level. Nobody needed to be feared. A great moment in a defining season.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Thinking about it, we have won 3 of the last 4 and if Clermont win this year it will be the winners who knocked us out the other 2 seasons :green clap: :green clap: :green clap: :green clap: :green clap: .

Some fecking team

Allez Les Bleus
awaaf
Bookworm

Post by awaaf »

Watched it in the box in the heart of Munster. Was probably only Leinster fan in the place. As game went on more and more of the locals who had been ignoring the game (more of a GAA than a Rugby pub) started to see how Leinster were playing and started to pay more attention. They weren't cheering at the end but I think there was a little (possibly grudging) respect. Little did they know what was to follow a few weeks later!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Jesus. Times flies when you are conquering Europe

Don't know why (as i was well tanked up and their was plenty of other things to remember from that magic day) but I always think of D'Arcy walking around on his own with the socks in his hand after the game.

"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I watched that in a pub in Strandhill on Easter Sunday (having fallen out with most of my extended family because I insisted on watching the match). I was one of the only Leinster fans in the pub, all the locals were supporting Munster (and they walloped the Ospreys right before the Leinster match came on). I must have had 20-30 conversations that day insisting that Leinster weren't "bottlers"...it was the day things definitively turned around for the better.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!