A new approach to touting.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

A new approach to touting.

Post by Dave Cahill »

I've been looking on ebay and various sites of that ilk to see if any identifiable tickets for the Amlin Final are being sold at unreasonably inflated prices (i.e. above face price + TM fees + postage) and of course there are loads. Now most organisations attempt to stop this trade, most supporters clubs also, but legally theres really nothing that can be done. Its not an offense to sell tickets at above face value. The Unions, clubs and supporters clubs can take action themselves - cancel tickets, suspend individuals and the like, but there is no recourse in law.

But as much as we like to (deservedly in almost all cases) demonise those who sell tickets in this manner, they do it for one reason and one reason only. Because there are people out there willing to buy them.

I propose that the same ire and opprobrium normally reserved for the tout be extended to his customer. If the latter didn't exist, then neither would the former.

I realise that its virtually impossible to enforce, and equally difficult to prove, but there is a moral imperative here. Even if its just we as a sport saying 'this is not acceptable, what you're doing is wrong and is damaging to the sport and its supporters', then we should do so.
I have Bumbleflex
abcd
Beginner

Re: A new approach to touting.

Post by abcd »

In fairness tickets were freely available at €25 + service charge for this final throughout the season. It was obvious after the end of the Heineken group stage that Leinster would be in the Amlin final. Anyone who missed the boat has only themselves to blame.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

abcd wrote:In fairness tickets were freely available at €25 + service charge for this final throughout the season. It was obvious after the end of the Heineken group stage that Leinster would be in the Amlin final. Anyone who missed the boat has only themselves to blame.
Not everybody knows they're definitely going to be able to go several months before the date. And in any case, there wasn't any guarantee we'd get to the final - who'd have thought after last year's Heineken that we wouldn't even get out of our group this year?
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

I'm sorry but that is a load of sanctimonious b*%&!x.

I've bought tickets at above average price before and id do it again to go and see my team. Wind your neck in and get something real to worry about.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Dave Cahill wrote:I've been looking on ebay and various sites of that ilk to see if any identifiable tickets for the Amlin Final are being sold at unreasonably inflated prices (i.e. above face price + TM fees + postage) and of course there are loads. Now most organisations attempt to stop this trade, most supporters clubs also, but legally theres really nothing that can be done. Its not an offense to sell tickets at above face value. The Unions, clubs and supporters clubs can take action themselves - cancel tickets, suspend individuals and the like, but there is no recourse in law.

But as much as we like to (deservedly in almost all cases) demonise those who sell tickets in this manner, they do it for one reason and one reason only. Because there are people out there willing to buy them.

I propose that the same ire and opprobrium normally reserved for the tout be extended to his customer. If the latter didn't exist, then neither would the former.

I realise that its virtually impossible to enforce, and equally difficult to prove, but there is a moral imperative here. Even if its just we as a sport saying 'this is not acceptable, what you're doing is wrong and is damaging to the sport and its supporters', then we should do so.
Not that I would in any way be suggesting it should be done..... It would be terrible if Touts were subjected to bogus bids.... now wouldn't it ??.... particularly if they were left with the tickets in the end...........
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Stuka wrote:I'm sorry but that is a load of sanctimonious b*%&!x.

I've bought tickets at above average price before and id do it again to go and see my team. Wind your neck in and get something real to worry about.
This x 10 million.

Cannot believe this thread.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

So is it fair to say that you have no problem with the touting of tickets, that you support the sale of tickets at above face value (well we know you do financially) as a concept?
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:

This x 10 million.

Cannot believe this thread.
same question to you as to Stuka
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote:

So is it fair to say that you have no problem with the touting of tickets, that you support the sale of tickets at above face value (well we know you do financially) as a concept?
No, but if I've the choice of paying above the odds to see my team or not seeing them, I'm going to pay it. Wouldn't you?

Didn't mention anything about 'having no problem with the touting of tickets'.

Seriously man this is ridiculous, reminiscent of a MF thread.
errlloyd
Beginner

Post by errlloyd »

Same debate happens with everything.

Do we criminalise drugs or criminalise dealers? Do we criminalise hookers, pimps or clients?

I don't know how anyone could support touting, it prices less well off fans out of the game (inherent bad) and it take the profits from the well off fans and instead of giving them to the team it gives them to the tout. There is no justice in it at all.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

My approach to purchasing tickets is on this basis:
Can i this week afford the price of the ticket to go to a particular game?
My financial/and general state of disorganisation- situation Invariably means i miss the early offers and have to scramble for tix at a later date. Simples.

I dont like touts, but they serve a purpose. To make money from silly people...... Im a capitalist.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

No, but if I've the choice of paying above the odds to see my team or not seeing them, I'm going to pay it. Wouldn't you?

Didn't mention anything about 'having no problem with the touting of tickets'.

Seriously man this is ridiculous, reminiscent of a MF thread.

But if you're part of the process then you don't have a problem with it surely? Are you not enabling and participating in the market that deprived you of a ticket in the first place? Without the demand for touted tickets, there wouldn't be any touted tickets as there wouldn't be any reason for them. The touts fill a demand that exists, if that demand were removed, then the touts would find their raison d'etre equally removed.

And no, I wouldn't. If I can't get a ticket for the Pro12 final, for example, I'll watch the game in the Horse Show or wherever.

And its not ridiculous, there are is a significant shortage of tickets for next week, there is likely to be one for the following week also should we win this evening. And yet there are tickets aplenty on ebay and similar sites for vastly inflated sums. Thats whats ridiculous.
I have Bumbleflex
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

The sale of tickets for more than face value isn't ideal and, in a perfect world, wouldn't happen at all. I have to say, however, that I don't understand the sheer revulsion and opprobrium that the very suggestion of "touting" seems to provoke among some fans. Moral comparisons to drug-dealing and human trafficking are enormously wide of the mark.

I'm fortunate in that I've never had to pay above face value for a match ticket in my life. However, if by some miracle Ireland were to make the RWC final in 2015, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't pay through the nose for a seat.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

Dave Cahill wrote:

I have no problem with touting of tickets what so ever. If there is a demand, then there will be sellers and buyers. I have never sold a ticket myself via black market, but i have bought them at least 20+ times for Internationals, HC games etc. If it was not for touts i would have missed Ireland -v- England in CP. I spent 200 euros on a ticket and it was worth every penny.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

errlloyd wrote:Do we criminalise hookers, pimps or clients?
Actually that's completely different. There isn't a limited supply of sex.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

sid wrote:
errlloyd wrote:Do we criminalise hookers, pimps or clients?
Actually that's completely different. There isn't a limited supply of sex.
There is when you get married.

So I've been told anyway.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Stuka wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

I have no problem with touting of tickets what so ever. If there is a demand, then there will be sellers and buyers. I have never sold a ticket myself via black market, but i have bought them at least 20+ times for Internationals, HC games etc. If it was not for touts i would have missed Ireland -v- England in CP. I spent 200 euros on a ticket and it was worth every penny.
Yeah but if there was no touts you would've got those tickets at face value.... The mind boggles. Just because a tout bought the tickets doesn't mean you have access to more tickets.
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Stuka wrote: If it was not for touts i would have missed Ireland -v- England in CP.
Oh, well in that case... :roll:
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Dave Cahill wrote:I propose that the same ire and opprobrium normally reserved for the tout be extended to his customer. If the latter didn't exist, then neither would the former.
Do you honestly think that those who by from touts would care two hoots what others might think. Look at those in Banking, Politics etc who have had ire and opprobrium slung their way over the last few years. They have hides of Rhino's and do not give a f**k wht people think. It's the law of supply and demand. Let's not forget that reputable ticketing sites have tie ups with firms that will sell hard to get tickets at marked up prices. (TM being one who has been investigated in the UK with regards to its tie up with the 'getmein' ticket selling site).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

There's just this one little thing in the gigantic ediface of global capitalism that displeased me, just one little thing, the secondary market for entertainments.

Who cares? I don't participate in it either buying or selling.

I utterly despise gambling.