53%
RDS
47%

Total votes: 32

papachino
Graduate

Rabo Final. RDS or Aviva ?

Post by papachino »

Lottery again, although I've never missed out on the lottery, I'd prefer there not to be one; considering that this Final could fill the Aviva, or close to it, does anyone else think the Rabo final should be moved to the Aviva ?
Last edited by papachino on May 12th, 2013, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Rabo Final. RDS or Aviva ?

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

'I don't know what a tracker mortgage is'
3 Gold Stars
Tiberius Rex
Beginner

Post by Tiberius Rex »

Not a season ticket holder, so am probably screwed if it remains in the RDS. So yeah, move it to the Aviva. Wasn't our 2012 H Cup quarter final against Ulster at the Aviva a near sell out?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Not up to us. It is Ulster's final, and the main reason they did not choose Lansdowne Rd is they would be outnumbered. They will be 50 50 in the RDS.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Tiberius Rex wrote:Not a season ticket holder, so am probably screwed if it remains in the RDS. So yeah, move it to the Aviva. Wasn't our 2012 H Cup quarter final against Ulster at the Aviva a near sell out?
HEC quarter-final against Ulster??????
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

johng wrote:Not up to us. It is Ulster's final, and the main reason they did not choose Lansdowne Rdis they would be outnumbered. They will be 50 50 in the RDS.
This. Has nothing to do with us and as such discussion of venue is pointless.

But, but, but....

Ulster's choice, we got nowt to do with owt.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

RoboProp wrote:
johng wrote:Not up to us. It is Ulster's final, and the main reason they did not choose Lansdowne Rdis they would be outnumbered. They will be 50 50 in the RDS.

But, but, but....

My initial thought when Ulster announced the RDS was why not the Aviva, but as there is no financial benefit to them in having more attending, the RDS is much more sensible from their pov. more in limiting our numbers as opposed to increasing theirs.
Get in the f%~king bag.
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

I've often wondered why we can't get a PRO12 final in the Aviva, but I suppose any time we've made it, we've usually had a European final the week before and also trips to the UK to finance, also we've had european quarter and semi and pro12 semi, all of these games off the season ticket, all in a very short space of time, it's a lot of money to fork out, so I don't know IF we would sell out the Aviva.

If we got to the point some season where it was an All-Irish final and neither team had any European interests left, then I think it would be worth a shot, although 2 weeks is a very short space of time to sell 50,000 tickets....

In short, even if it was an option to switch stadiums at this late stage, I still think the RDS (or a re-developed Ravenhill had it been ready) would be the right choice. Moving to the Aviva in future would only be an option if it was a Leinster home final.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

No. cr@p venue which would only be half full.

Seriously... this game would not sell out the Aviva. Look at last night. We have had semi finals with Ulster which haven't sold out RDS.

For a final... maybe 25k could be sold. Thomond perhaps. Not the aviva.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Meh
Metal
Bookworm

Post by Metal »

papachino wrote:Lottery again, although I've never missed out on the lottery, I'd prefer there not to be one; considering that this Final could fill the Aviva, or close to it, does anyone else think the Rabo final should be moved to the Aviva ?
Think I've been successful in 1 lottery over the last 5 years, what's your secret???
Showbiz
Beginner

Post by Showbiz »

Have an awful record in the lottories too, if I dont get one for the Rabo final I may have to don a tin-foil hat and make wild accusations about lottery fraud :cry:
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

Maybe its got something to do with me having a season ticket for the last 11 seasons... :P
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Why would Ulster want to move it to a bigger ground to accommodate Leinster supporters?

Reckon we'd be scratching to get 20-25k to it anyway with just two weeks to sell it.
LastKnight
Learner

Post by LastKnight »

RoboProp wrote:

But, but, but....

Ulster had told the league early in the season that they would be able to have 16,800 for a final at Ravenhill. It was initially understood that the league were content with that and that a home final at Ravenhill would be approved by the league. Come nomination time they were told no. I understand Ulster enquired about the Aviva and were advised that it took several weeks to sell it out with significant discounts on tickets for previous interprovincial matches. I believe €5 and €10 tickets were available as a starting point for Munster v Leinster.

To cut a long story short, I'm told that Ulster were advised that the RDS was the only real alternative. I'm also told that the league has a pricing structure in place for the final (out of which they get a cut) and were not prepared to run the risk of discounts and trying to fill the Aviva if it was Ulster v Glasgow.

Far from ideal, but it was not really Ulster's preferred choice either.
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

Sort out the people that bothered to turn up last night, and all will be grand
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

no way you could shift enough tickets to justify using LR in just one week
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Bosco wrote:Sort out the people that bothered to turn up last night, and all will be grand
Except we made up 13k... and there's only 9k tickets available.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Short answer is Celtic Rugby decided that RDS was really the only option, end of story and it won't be moved, our allocation on Ticketmaster with passwords tomorrow morning yours goes on sale Wednesday I read somewhere, but I'm sure you will hear, then general release on remaining Monday 20th, then a chance at the end with Sponsors and spongers returns, they sent a wedge back to Ulster at 3pm on Friday for last Friday nights match.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

rooster wrote:Short answer is Celtic Rugby decided that RDS was really the only option, end of story and it won't be moved, our allocation on Ticketmaster with passwords tomorrow morning yours goes on sale Wednesday I read somewhere, but I'm sure you will hear, then general release on remaining Monday 20th, then a chance at the end with Sponsors and spongers returns, they sent a wedge back to Ulster at 3pm on Friday for last Friday nights match.
We're having a lottery for season ticket holders. Can't imagine that Leinster will be making any available outside of that. They appear to be installing extra seats at both ends of the ground to bring capacity up to 20,000.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish