Pre-season friendlies 2013/14

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pre-season friendlies 2013/14

Post by Morf »

johng wrote:Balinasloe is in Connacht. Athlone straddles both Leinster and Connacht. It is in Westmeath & Roscommon. So of the 2 clubs that make it up 1.5 of them are in Connacht.

Roscrea is in Munster. The Rugby club is extremely close to the Leinster border, the College actually straddles the border. They both play in Leinster. That part of Tipp juts up into Laois and Offaly. You can be in all 3 in a matter of minutes.
Didn't someone say the Cistercian College playing fields were across the border in Leinster?

It probably makes sense for the club teams to follow the biggest supplier of players in the area.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Lamb of BOD wrote:
neilinboston wrote:Boston?
The yankee doodles can't expect to peddle this rubbish and then have a team like Leinster travel for a friendly
Yeah not a very Clever move really, see what I did there, because lads that are going on the tour won't be shown this video "at all, at all" "to be sure".
QBer
Knowledgeable

Post by QBer »

Any realistic chance of a French team in a pre-season game?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

QBer wrote:Any realistic chance of a French team in a pre-season game?
It's not easy or especially useful. Our season starts in their 3rd week. We'd be having our first pre-season game when they're making final preps for the season opener, not very comparable.
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

ronk wrote:
QBer wrote:Any realistic chance of a French team in a pre-season game?
It's not easy or especially useful. Our season starts in their 3rd week. We'd be having our first pre-season game when they're making final preps for the season opener, not very comparable.
Not much downtime for Sexton this summer then...
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

My money is on Ulster and then two of either: Sarries, Gloucester or London Welsh - all other clubs acorss the water seem to have confirmed their preseason fixtues already.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

aisling7 wrote:My money is on Ulster and then two of either: Sarries, Gloucester or London Welsh - all other clubs acorss the water seem to have confirmed their preseason fixtues already.
Probably because, if Newcastle win over tonight and next Wed, they are "gowing daaahn" faster than a cheap Mexican......er.

Ulster? Bit of an odd one.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

johng wrote:
aisling7 wrote:My money is on Ulster and then two of either: Sarries, Gloucester or London Welsh - all other clubs acorss the water seem to have confirmed their preseason fixtues already.
Probably because, if Newcastle win over tonight and next Wed, they are "gowing daaahn" faster than a cheap Mexican......er.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Ulster were going to play us in a friendly to re-open Ravers, I may also have just imagined it!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

No I read that somewhere too, thought it was this thread, but maybe not. Came from an Ulster fan.

Would be pretty cool if true. Nice rivalry building there. Would seem appropriate too, being the oldest fixture in Irish rugby and the first and last fixture of the old Lansdowne Road.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

waterboy wrote:
johng wrote:

I'm sure I read somewhere that Ulster were going to play us in a friendly to re-open Ravers, I may also have just imagined it!
Ah! Now that you mention it. I did read that somewhere
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:
Lamb of BOD wrote:
neilinboston wrote:Boston?
The yankee doodles can't expect to peddle this rubbish and then have a team like Leinster travel for a friendly
Yeah not a very Clever move really, see what I did there, because lads that are going on the tour won't be shown this video "at all, at all" "to be sure".
At least, this deserves a
:clap:

* for effort TJ
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

I was just reading the RFU disciplinary report of Hartley's ban and this mentions that Northampton are playing a pre-season game against Leinster on 31 August. It doesn't mention if this is home or away.

Needless to say, Hartley won't be featuring for Saints in this game...
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

mikerob wrote:I was just reading the RFU disciplinary report of Hartley's ban and this mentions that Northampton are playing a pre-season game against Leinster on 31 August. It doesn't mention if this is home or away.

best heckle I ever heard at a match was pre season 9/10 v saints in Donnybrook and Diggin was standing in front of us on halfway after scoring a try and someone else on the terrace asked (without even shouting) 'Diggin, would you like to see our Heineken Cup?' and poor Diggin couldnt stop laughing
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

Cian Healy it's the lucky charms leprechaun!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

mikerob wrote:I was just reading the RFU disciplinary report of Hartley's ban and this mentions that Northampton are playing a pre-season game against Leinster on 31 August. It doesn't mention if this is home or away.

We're at home to them on the 30th August apparently.

"The Saints host Edinburgh on Friday August 23 before travelling to Ireland for the clash with three-time Heineken Cup winners Leinster on Friday August 30."

So obviously the Pro12 season is starting a week later than usual.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Will we still be playing Saints with us drawing them in the Heino?? I'm assuming we will, as I seem to remember we played the Not Nots in a friendly the season we had them in the group.

Any news on other fixtures?
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Degz wrote:Will we still be playing Saints with us drawing them in the Heino?? I'm assuming we will, as I seem to remember we played the Not Nots in a friendly the season we had them in the group.

Any news on other fixtures?
Yea we played the Not Nots in a pre season in 2009 (possibly the first match in the redeveloped DonnyBrook, nice sunny summers evening from my memory)

It will be interesting to see when players are realeased/available to play this season. Usually its a good few games in before the lads who were away with Ireland on tour are back playing. Given the numbers away with the 3 tours + jwc we could see a random mix of accademy/ail even playing in the friendlies come august.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

If we do not have a reasonable squad to pick from what is the point of the games. The coach is not going to learn much sitting in the stand with the players he wants to see on the pitch. Only positive is it gives a few young guys a run out against real opposition without much pressure.
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Fireworks wrote:If we do not have a reasonable squad to pick from what is the point of the games?

It gives a few young guys a run out against real opposition without much pressure.
Q and A right there.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Alternative Ulster wrote:
Fireworks wrote:If we do not have a reasonable squad to pick from what is the point of the games?

It gives a few young guys a run out against real opposition without much pressure.
Q and A right there.
Point taken.... But is that enough. They are not really warm up games if the actual players you want warmed up are not on the pitch. I would imagine that Northampton will have most of the guys back and in training so can give them a run if they want.