we keep our powder dry for HC
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Re: Pre-season friendlies 2013/14

Post by Alternative Ulster »

Fireworks wrote:
Alternative Ulster wrote:
Fireworks wrote:If we do not have a reasonable squad to pick from what is the point of the games?

It gives a few young guys a run out against real opposition without much pressure.
Q and A right there.
Point taken.... But is that enough. They are not really warm up games if the actual players you want warmed up are not on the pitch. I would imagine that Northampton will have most of the guys back and in training so can give them a run if they want.
Point also taken. But in addition to the original Q and A the new coach is going to want to see the combos and ALL of the players over the first few games.

We have a lot of promoted guys from the academy who will have to play a lot of Rabo this year, best get them up and running ASAP

I actually feel we have a good bit of depth considering many of the Academy have taken to the field v NZ a short while ago and are playing very well.

Add in Gopperth and many of the guys like Hudson, Moore, Marshall....
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Fireworks wrote:If we do not have a reasonable squad to pick from what is the point of the games. The coach is not going to learn much sitting in the stand with the players he wants to see on the pitch. Only positive is it gives a few young guys a run out against real opposition without much pressure.
Their trials for the fringe players to impress their way into the coaches plans.

I'm hearing Leinster Ulster on the 23rd of August to open the new stands.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

naraic wrote:
Fireworks wrote:If we do not have a reasonable squad to pick from what is the point of the games. The coach is not going to learn much sitting in the stand with the players he wants to see on the pitch. Only positive is it gives a few young guys a run out against real opposition without much pressure.
Their trials for the fringe players to impress their way into the coaches plans.

I'm hearing Leinster Ulster on the 23rd of August to open the new stands.
Surely that's Ulster Leinster on August 23rd, otherwise there's really no point as we don't have any new stands to open yet.

I appreciate I'm being pedantic in the extreme and I apologise but it's nearly 3 in the morning and I can't get to sleep so I'm feeling a bit cranky.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Xanthippe wrote: Surely that's Ulster Leinster on August 23rd, otherwise there's really no point as we don't have any new stands to open yet.

I appreciate I'm being pedantic in the extreme and I apologise but it's nearly 3 in the morning and I can't get to sleep so I'm feeling a bit cranky.
Yep Ulster vs Leinster in Ravenhill

Probably going to be the highest profile preseason game in a few years.
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

It is only phase 1 of the redevelopment, is it not?
Construction work started immediately and will be complete by the summer of 2014. Three new stands will be built at the ground in a phased approach that will see capacity rise from 11,400 to 18,000.

Ulster Rugby has appointed Northern Ireland based general building contractor, Gilbert-Ash NI Ltd., to carry out the construction work. The first phase of the redevelopment will run from November 2012 until June 2013 and will see new stands built at both the Memorial and Aquinas ends of the ground.
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

mtleinster wrote:It is only phase 1 of the redevelopment, is it not?
Construction work started immediately and will be complete by the summer of 2014. Three new stands will be built at the ground in a phased approach that will see capacity rise from 11,400 to 18,000.

Ulster Rugby has appointed Northern Ireland based general building contractor, Gilbert-Ash NI Ltd., to carry out the construction work. The first phase of the redevelopment will run from November 2012 until June 2013 and will see new stands built at both the Memorial and Aquinas ends of the ground.
Yip just the 2 end stands plus the existing new terrace is also being changed to back loading and the prom should also be available to some extent as they will be building behind it, photo below is about a week old
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Presumably the Saints game after. I wonder where it'll be. I liked the Tallaght game last time. Handy ol' jaunt out on the Luas as well.
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

Yep... it's the Friday after - stadium TBA.

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/rugb ... /index.php
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Would be tempted to day trip up for the Ulster game. Ravenhill is looking well...75% done it seems. Probably will be finished mid-way through upcoming season, in time for Heineken Knockouts hopefully.

I hope Northampton game is in Tallaght, as I'm yet to attend a game out there and would like to check it out, seems like a handy stadium and nice location right by the square and easy enough to get to.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

[Jackass] wrote: I hope Northampton game is in Tallaght, as I'm yet to attend a game out there and would like to check it out, seems like a handy stadium and nice location right by the square and easy enough to get to.
Lovely stadium but the seats are extremely uncomfortable - they made them just a tiny bit too high so they cause a lot of leg pain. Also, if it's anything like last year they'll keep the entire centre section for SDCC councillors on freebies while the paying public will be made to walk around in great big circles to avoid inconveniencing them!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Same day bus being run to Ravenhill too for €20 with the OLSC, will be using that.
Stig
Beginner

Post by Stig »

Thinking of going. Is there a recommendation yet on where in the ground to get tickets
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

I am thinking either the Memorial End Stand or the East Terrace.
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

sheepshagger wrote:Same day bus being run to Ravenhill too for €20 with the OLSC, will be using that.
Any idea what time that'll depart at? I'm working on Friday...
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Contrasting day for members of the Leinster Squad. :lol:

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

aisling7 wrote:I am thinking either the Memorial End Stand or the East Terrace.
There are very few seats left in the Memorial Stand as most season ticket holders from the old stand are there for the season, just a few at the side nearest the East Terrace available and think they may be being held for potential season ticket purchasers, East terrace is pretty full also so it will probably be the 2 end terraces plus perhaps some seats in Aquinas end stand that will be available.
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

It think there actually need clarification for prices for the Northampton Saints game

€10 - Stand
€5 - Terrace
€0 - Kids (under 18) Free

I origionally thought it was €10 per adult and €5 per kid

This game could actually sell out!!!!

Boi Pre-Season Friendly - Leinster Rugby V Northampton Saints
Donnybrook Stadium, Dublin,
Fri 30 Aug 2013, 19:00
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

mtleinster wrote:It think there actually need clarification for prices for the Northampton Saints game

€10 - Stand
€5 - Terrace
€0 - Kids (under 18) Free

I origionally thought it was €10 per adult and €5 per kid

This game could actually sell out!!!!

Boi Pre-Season Friendly - Leinster Rugby V Northampton Saints
Donnybrook Stadium, Dublin,
Fri 30 Aug 2013, 19:00
Sadly because its a Friday night doubt it will, not great for people outside Dublin who have to finish work, get families sorted and then get to DB, personally it suits me ok but think it would have been better on Saturday/Sunday afternoon.