Pre-season friendlies 2013/14

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

finchamdl
Learner

Pre-season friendlies 2013/14

Post by finchamdl »

Any word on pre-season friendlies for the start of next season?
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pre-season friendlies 2013/14

Post by Degz »

A lot of the other Rabo teams are announcing theirs so would imagine it will be shortly enough.

Last season's friendly at Sale was announced by the end of April, so I assume they know already.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

It'd be nice to see a game back in Donnybrook and maybe one out and about somewhere like Dundalk, Wexford, Kilkenny etc. I'd even like to see the odd home pro-12 game get a go out in "the sticks" as it were. I know we're tied in at the RDS but it'd be nice to see a game go to a regional town, it'd be a special event, nice touch, you'd probably get a good turnout and give people who can't usually make the RDS the chance to see a live game.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

TerenureJim wrote:It'd be nice to see a game back in Donnybrook and maybe one out and about somewhere like Dundalk, Wexford, Kilkenny etc. I'd even like to see the odd home pro-12 game get a go out in "the sticks" as it were. I know we're tied in at the RDS but it'd be nice to see a game go to a regional town, it'd be a special event, nice touch, you'd probably get a good turnout and give people who can't usually make the RDS the chance to see a live game.

Excellent idea, since Munster have bailed on Musgrave park it will be free most of the time.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
UlsterMan
Bookworm

Post by UlsterMan »

Heard a rumour you will be playing us in a friendly to open the two new stands at Ravenhill. Not sure how reliable the info is but I think it would be a good idea.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

Degz wrote:A lot of the other Rabo teams are announcing theirs so would imagine it will be shortly enough.

Last season's friendly at Sale was announced by the end of April, so I assume they know already.
As yes who can forget Sale on that summers day with the rain almost horizontal and the smell of the nearby sewage works in the air ....

South of France please......
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

domhnallj wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:It'd be nice to see a game back in Donnybrook and maybe one out and about somewhere like Dundalk, Wexford, Kilkenny etc. I'd even like to see the odd home pro-12 game get a go out in "the sticks" as it were. I know we're tied in at the RDS but it'd be nice to see a game go to a regional town, it'd be a special event, nice touch, you'd probably get a good turnout and give people who can't usually make the RDS the chance to see a live game.

Excellent idea, since Munster have bailed on Musgrave park it will be free most of the time.
:lol: But +1 on the original idea. As a sticks dweller, it would reinforce the genuine provincial fan base of Leinster.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
finchamdl
Learner

Post by finchamdl »

A game in London would be nice aswell seeing as I know there are plenty of leinster fans over there who would be delighted at a rare chance to see the team play on their doorstep
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

Boston?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

neilinboston wrote:Boston?
Saracens fan?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

neilinboston wrote:Boston?
The yankee doodles can't expect to peddle this rubbish and then have a team like Leinster travel for a friendly
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

It would be nice to see a game hosted at Dubarry Park.

The locals always attend U20 games regularly, I'm sure they would love to get a provincial game there occasionally.

I'd also love to see us host a Super15 side. Preferably Crusaders or Blues.

Our game against Queensland was pretty cool. Nice day in Donnybrook, place was almost full to capacity also iirc.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

[Jackass] wrote:It would be nice to see a game hosted at Dubarry Park.

The locals always attend U20 games regularly, I'm sure they would love to get a provincial game there occasionally.

Our game against Queensland was pretty cool. Nice day in Donnybrook, place was almost full to capacity also iirc.
Is Dubarry Park not a Connacht ground? I vaguely remember Connacht hosting Munster there in a league match a few years back
elfan
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Maybe you're right, I thought it was in Westmeath, but that's on the border as it is. Ah sure, Athlone being a divided town, all the more reason to send Leinster matches there!
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

elfan wrote:

Is Dubarry Park not a Connacht ground? I vaguely remember Connacht hosting Munster there in a league match a few years back
The ground itself is on the Westmeath side of Athlone, but they're affiliated to the Connacht Branch of the IRFU.

club history
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
elfan
Knowledgeable

Post by elfan »

limecat wrote:
elfan wrote:

The locals always attend U20 games regularly, I'm sure they would love to get a provincial game there occasionally

The ground itself is on the Westmeath side of Athlone, but they're affiliated to the Connacht Branch of the IRFU.

club history
Ah...I see
elfan
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

club history[/quote][/quote]

Ah...I see[/quote]

Interesting that they dont mention the reason why they play in Connacht!
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Go on..tell us!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Balinasloe is in Connacht. Athlone straddles both Leinster and Connacht. It is in Westmeath & Roscommon. So of the 2 clubs that make it up 1.5 of them are in Connacht.

Roscrea is in Munster. The Rugby club is extremely close to the Leinster border, the College actually straddles the border. They both play in Leinster. That part of Tipp juts up into Laois and Offaly. You can be in all 3 in a matter of minutes.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

elfan wrote:

It was a 3-0 win for Munster in horrible rain. ROG penalty. That's 2 hours I'll never get back.