O'Brien out....

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

O'Brien out....

Post by The Doc »

"Ireland and Leinster have been dealt a potentially crippling blow by the news that Seán O’Brien will miss the Six Nations championship and possibly the rest of the season with a dislocated shoulder.

The Carlow man sustained the injury in the 19-6 win over Ulster at the RDS on Saturday and will undergo surgery this week. The fact a procedure is necessary would suggest his entire season is in jeopardy, with a five-month convalescence the usual forecast, but the official line for now is six to eight weeks out."

Irish Times - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/s ... -1.1640565
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
sid
Mullet

Re: O'Brien out....

Post by sid »

Fock :(
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Dubmon
Beginner

Post by Dubmon »

We could try and look on the bright side

O'Brien to return for Heineken Cup Final showdown
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

All things going well, we may have him back after the six nations.

From an Ireland point of view...........................................................BALLS :cry:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

There is no consolation for news like this. Sean O'Brien simply is, and has been for the past two seasons, the most influential player in Irish rugby and there is no player in the country who can wear an Irish jersey to such effect against the best in the world.

For Sean, this is a terrible setback in a sporting context. However, on the same day that Michael Schumacher lies struggling for his life, Sean's injury has to be put in context and viewed possibly like Luke Fitz's injury 2/3 years ago, as he also considered his contractual future.

Don't despair Sean, you will be back, stronger and faster than ever and with many more big games to face. Good luck with the surgery and with the boredom of rehab. Keep to all the instructions and focus on learning something new during those months of recovery. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life and there is lots more to achieve!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

and even British journalists are started to write about Jordi so he wont' be a surprise to them
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

The recovery time is now revised to several months.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/s ... -1.1640565
A proud Winsome Fluter
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:The recovery time is now revised to several months.
Quinn Roux's prognosis last season for his dislocated shoulder was 16-20 weeks. He was injured on the 23rd November against Glasgow, made it back for the return fixture on the 23rd March, i.e. 4 months out. If SOB follows a similar sort of timetable, he'd make it back for April.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

hugonaut wrote:
Quinn Roux's prognosis last season for his dislocated shoulder was 16-20 weeks. He was injured on the 23rd November against Glasgow, made it back for the return fixture on the 23rd March, i.e. 4 months out. If SOB follows a similar sort of timetable, he'd make it back for April.
And by then, hopefully, someone will have staked a serious claim for his spot in the BR.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote:
So many circumstances come into it.

You can't compare apples with oranges despite them both being fruit.

The OP hasn't even happened yet and the surgeon(if he/she has even reviewed scans/x-rays yet) will only really know when they perform the surgery.

Then you have rehab (with or without setbacks).

With the little info coming from Leinster management there's little point speculating.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

having had a few serious shoulder injuries myself; the problem in short, is exacerbated by the nature of the joint > its the only one where the 'ball' is bigger than the socket. If he needs surgery, I'd expect he has a labral tear and that takes a while to heal and the amount of time depends on the nature of the tear and its extent. The medicos will know pretty much as soon as they see the scan results - i.e. before op. So if they are saying months; I'd believe that > apart from them being conservative maybe. Not sure how bad QRs dislocation was; but it was put out in the media as being bad. Here's hoping a. Seanies is no worse, and b. he can recover as quick or quicker than Quinn - for his, Irelands and Leinsters sake.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Without Healy and O'Brien Leinster/Ireland will really struggle to generate go-forward ball. That'll mess up the backline in turn. Cronin's a lovely carrier but mainly in the wider channels, we desperately rely on Healy and SOB to bash it up closer in. Heaslip is the only other proven alternative, but is still not as effective. Ruddock and Jordi can do a job in the ball-carrying department I know but they can't compensate for the guys who are out.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Both guys will be serious losses to both Leinster and Ireland. Hopefully Healy will be back during the Six Nations. Ball carrying forwards at a premium with Cronin' looking the main man. James Cronin might get a sniff too with ball carriers,so scarce

Speaking of hooker there is a serious crisis there for the National team. Strauss, Best and Sherry are all long term absentees. Varley went off tonight with a serious looking hamstring. Munster are down to their third string with 3 1st team appearances. Leinster and Ulster have Herring and Dundon backing up both non Irish qualified. Connacht have Henry and Harris-Wright. Someone is going to get a bench spot from a long way down the pecking order.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Both Dundon and Herring are Irish qualified. The former through residency, the latter, ancestry. Indeed Herring played for Emerging Ireland last summer did he not?
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Herring for me has been a revelation. Excellent at basics and while not dynamic like Cronin, he is a great lad over the ball.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Dave Cahill wrote:Both Dundon and Herring are Irish qualified. The former through residency, the latter, ancestry. Indeed Herring played for Emerging Ireland last summer did he not?
Sorry
Didn't realise that. Nevertheless 3 months ago neither of them would have been considered in the top 5 hookers with (in alphabetical order) Best, Cronin, Sherry, Strauss and Varley all clearly rated above them
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Both Dundon and Herring are Irish qualified. The former through residency, the latter, ancestry. Indeed Herring played for Emerging Ireland last summer did he not?
Sorry
Didn't realise that. Nevertheless 3 months ago neither of them would have been considered in the top 5 hookers with (in alphabetical order) Best, Cronin, Sherry, Strauss and Varley all clearly rated above them
They're not in the top 5 hookers though (although I'd say Herring has leapfrogged Varley at least - he's just too shonky), they're their provinces third and second choice hookers respectively, which is actually a pretty decent sign of the depth Ireland has in that position. They don't have the x-factor that sets the international apart from the good provincial player, but they're good solid pros with strong basics.
I have Bumbleflex
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dave Cahill wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:
Sorry
They're not in the top 5 hookers though (although I'd say Herring has leapfrogged Varley at least - he's just too shonky), they're their provinces third and second choice hookers respectively, which is actually a pretty decent sign of the depth Ireland has in that position. They don't have the x-factor that sets the international apart from the good provincial player, but they're good solid pros with strong basics.
Shonky? I like it!!! :P Could catch on as a term for outwardly solid/ stolid players who flake and creak under pressure! And Varley, (despite his other admirable qualities) is definetly stonky at line out time...
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Herring is IQ and not far behind Best, better thrower but not quite as good on the ground overall he is a decent back up here in Ulster and a hard grafter.
Best possibly on bench this week though :D
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Was that another hooker '(Dundon) going off with an arm injury