A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Jonny Wikinsons Toulon Away

Post by domhnallj »

Toulon fan wrote:
glenageary wrote:
Toulon fan wrote::lol: I'm teasing but I think Leinster shall win. Toulon's set is not in place yet, because of long and numerous injuries.
Leinster on the other hand is fit and well settled.
and now who is joking :)
Haha, maybe there is no april fool in Ireland, is there ? :green clap:
He's busy stinking up the thread on last weekends Munster game.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I haven't seen Toulon in this year's Top 14, bar reading the odd report. But when I watched them last year, I was struck with how structured and error-free they were. Sure, they can score tries (as they just did against Toulouse) but their game is (or was last season) based off very sound fundamentals and generally quite low-percentage rugby.

Remind you of anyone?

This is going to be a staring contest and we'll get to see who blinks first. I don't foresee either side building a score for the other to chase. I think we'll have enough preparation and intensity to stay with Toulon, but I don't think we have the form or the firepower in the backline to stay in touch if the score starts ticking up later in the game.

If our defence (which has generally been very good) can keep a lid on their scoring like I expect them to keep a lid on ours, we could sneak a close contest. But as the scoring rate rises, the game moves away from our favour, imo.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

jezzer wrote:I haven't seen Toulon in this year's Top 14, bar reading the odd report. But when I watched them last year, I was struck with how structured and error-free they were. Sure, they can score tries (as they just did against Toulouse) but their game is (or was last season) based off very sound fundamentals and generally quite low-percentage rugby.

Remind you of anyone?

This is going to be a staring contest and we'll get to see who blinks first. I don't foresee either side building a score for the other to chase. I think we'll have enough preparation and intensity to stay with Toulon, but I don't think we have the form or the firepower in the backline to stay in touch if the score starts ticking up later in the game.

If our defence (which has generally been very good) can keep a lid on their scoring like I expect them to keep a lid on ours, we could sneak a close contest. But as the scoring rate rises, the game moves away from our favour, imo.
Have seen them in 4 or 5 matches and to be honest have not been overly impressed.Were quite lucky to beat Biarritz at home and they are pants.Steffon Armitage playing a lot at number 8 and looks a real menace.Did not see the Toulouse game at the weekend but Toulouse did rest 4/5 players also.So hard to know how to read them but at home and in Europe expect the worst
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I don't think we should be looking to stop them playing, we should impose our game on them. They have incredible individuals and are well-structured, but we have more creativity and can play at a high tempo for longer. I'm not suggesting throwing caution to the wind but playing overly conservatively would be the worst thing we could do. Winning an arm wrestle over there is next to impossible.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Here's hoping a couple of French sides get beat on their home turf, good luck to Leinster.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

tigerburnie wrote:Here's hoping a couple of French sides get beat on their home turf, good luck to Leinster.
Thanks Tigerburnie and good luck in Clermont
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

neiliog93 wrote:I don't think we should be looking to stop them playing, we should impose our game on them. They have incredible individuals and are well-structured, but we have more creativity and can play at a high tempo for longer. I'm not suggesting throwing caution to the wind but playing overly conservatively would be the worst thing we could do. Winning an arm wrestle over there is next to impossible.
I've seen teams go over there and try just that and get 50 points put on them. Grenoble did well because they were an absolute nuisance on the counter attack, but more importantly kept them in their half with a very aggressive defence. Regardless of the win and intercept try they did very well there.
Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

Squad update.
After being rested on Monday, Brian O'Driscoll, Eoin Reddan and Gordon D'Arcy all took full part in today's training session in UCD.
There was also a return to training for Dave Kearney, who has recovered from a knock, and Rhys Ruddock who was carrying a calf injury.
Other players not considered for selection against Munster, like Cian Healy, Jack McGrath and Martin Moore, all took a full part in training.
The Leinster team to face Toulon in the Heineken Cup Quarter-final will be announced at 12pm on Friday, April 4th, on the Leinster Rugby website.
Leinster v Toulon will kickoff at 4.30pm (5.30pm French time) and will be broadcast live on Sky Sports 3.
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/11760.php#.UzrkE_ldU3U
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Kinger83 wrote:Squad update.
After being rested on Monday, Brian O'Driscoll, Eoin Reddan and Gordon D'Arcy all took full part in today's training session in UCD.
There was also a return to training for Dave Kearney, who has recovered from a knock, and Rhys Ruddock who was carrying a calf injury.
Other players not considered for selection against Munster, like Cian Healy, Jack McGrath and Martin Moore, all took a full part in training.
The Leinster team to face Toulon in the Heineken Cup Quarter-final will be announced at 12pm on Friday, April 4th, on the Leinster Rugby website.
Leinster v Toulon will kickoff at 4.30pm (5.30pm French time) and will be broadcast live on Sky Sports 3.
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/11760.php#.UzrkE_ldU3U
Good to see the props all training. We're going to need all 4 of them badly if we are to stand a chance.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Post by Edna Kenny »

Sounds positive. Hopefully the extra week's rest will be a benefit to the props, we'll need them firing on all cylinders on Sunday. I reckon we can give them a really good go. The confidence from Paris should stand to us. Knock out rugby is what we live for! Hopefully MOC's got a plan from his experience down there last year.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Edna Kenny wrote:Sounds positive. Hopefully the extra week's rest will be a benefit to the props, we'll need them firing on all cylinders on Sunday. I reckon we can give them a really good go. The confidence from Paris should stand to us. Knock out rugby is what we live for! Hopefully MOC's got a plan from his experience down there last year.
Not only the extra time off for the other three but the game time on Saturday is the ideal prep for big Mike. Our pack, with Rhys back in the fold, is as good as it is going to get this season.

If Jimmy or Mads (this one probably calls for Jimmy I reckon) can have a stormer we could be in with a shout here.

I'm cautiously optimistic, if only because our standout performances this season have been on the road in the HC.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

AdamK wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:I don't think we should be looking to stop them playing, we should impose our game on them. They have incredible individuals and are well-structured, but we have more creativity and can play at a high tempo for longer. I'm not suggesting throwing caution to the wind but playing overly conservatively would be the worst thing we could do. Winning an arm wrestle over there is next to impossible.
I've seen teams go over there and try just that and get 50 points put on them. Grenoble did well because they were an absolute nuisance on the counter attack, but more importantly kept them in their half with a very aggressive defence. Regardless of the win and intercept try they did very well there.
Most teams who play them try the conservative approach and get destroyed.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

Paddy power gives it to Toulon by 4
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Sunny day, play like that game in Toulouse; sure if we can do that with Jowett...

prospect of Gopperth defending v Basteraud, or anyone gives me nightmares
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

simonokeeffe wrote:Sunny day, play like that game in Toulouse; sure if we can do that with Jowett...

That was done with Contepomi, BOD was the best centre in the world, Horgan, Hickie, etc. Don't have any of that anymore.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

glenageary wrote:Paddy power gives it to Toulon by 4
I always derive great pleasure when the bookies have us as favorites, they have tended to be right in recent years also.

Maybe they think the injury updates are all smoke and daggers. I know I'll believe it when the team is actually on the pitch.

I haven't watched T14 much this year (when I have it hasn't necessarily been a great watch) but from some Toulon games I've seen this year they seemed to have added some real flair to their cup winning pragmatism of last year. Everyone seems to fear a giant pack, if it was just a big set of lads the bookies wouldn't have them installed as favorites I think.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:Sunny day, play like that game in Toulouse; sure if we can do that with Jowett...

Hence Madigan's start against Munster.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Danthefan wrote:

That was done with Contepomi, BOD was the best centre in the world, Horgan, Hickie, etc. Don't have any of that anymore.
And a pack with Ronnie McCormack, Cam Jowitt, Brian Blaney and Bryce WIlliams in it.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

jezzer wrote:
Danthefan wrote:

And a pack with Ronnie McCormack, Cam Jowitt, Brian Blaney and Bryce WIlliams in it.
Lucky for us they decided to play it loose that day. If they'd kept it tight and ground us down they would have won. Looking at the way the Top 14 is played these days you know that's what they'd do.
papachino
Graduate

Post by papachino »

This will probably be our toughest match this season and I can't help but feel that it could be just a quarter of a step too far. Then again, Leinster usually do well against French sides that try to push their weight, such as Castres and Montpelier; but then again again, is this really a 'French' team

!?

I think these will be the teams for this Sunday coming:
Toulon:
15. Delon Armitage, 14. Drew Mitchell, 13. Mathieu Bastareaud, 12. Maxime Mermoz, 11. Bryan Habana, 10. Matt Giteau, 9. Michael Claassens
8. Steffon Armitage, 7. Juan Smith, 6. Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe, 5. Danie Rossouw, 4. Jocelino Suta, 3. Carl Hayman, 2. Craig Burden, 1. Xavier Chiocci
Replacements:
16. Benjamin Noirot/ Sébastien Bruno, 17. Levan Chilachava/ Andrew Sheridan, 18. Florian Fresia/ Martin Castrogiovanni, 19. Bakkies Botha/ Kote Mikautadze
20. Joe van Niekerk/ Pierrick Gunther, 21. Sébastien Tillous-Borde, 22. Jonny Wilkinson/ Fréderic Michalak, 23. Alexis Palisson/ David Smith.

Leinster:
15. Rob Kearney, 14. Fergus McFadden, 13. Brian O'Driscoll, 12. Gordon D'Arcy, 11. Luke Fitzgerald, 10. Jimmy Gopperth, 9. Isaac Boss
8. Jamie Heaslip, 7. Shane Jennings, 6. Rhys Ruddock, 5. Mike McCarthy, 4. Devin Toner, 3. Mike Ross, 2. Sean Cronin,1. Cian Healy
Replacements:
16. Richardt Strauss, 17. Jack McGrath, 18. Martin Moore, 19. Leo Cullen , 20. Jordi Murphy, 21. Eoin Reddan, 22. Ian Madigan, 23. Zane Kirchner.