Terrace Chants

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

brian_c
Mullet

Terrace Chants

Post by brian_c »

So with a little over a week to go until we are back chanting in the terraces again, I was just wondering, is there any story to the origin of the "allez les bleus" chant. The first time I heard it was in Bath Jan 2005, but I'm sure it didn't magically appear that day.

What other chants have been used, and any ideas for some good new ones for this season. "We all dream of a team of Gary Browns" anyone? :D
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
tones
Shane Jennings

Re: Terrace Chants

Post by tones »

brian_c wrote:So with a little over a week to go until we are back chanting in the terraces again, I was just wondering, is there any story to the origin of the "allez les bleus" chant. The first time I heard it was in Bath Jan 2005, but I'm sure it didn't magically appear that day.

What other chants have been used, and any ideas for some good new ones for this season. "We all dream of a team of Gary Browns" anyone? :D
Allez Les Bleus prob appeared in the match preceeding the Bath game away in Bourgoin where we won with a bit of Drico magic........a version of the Turnips "Allez les Rouges".....funny chaps really.

Team of Gary Brown's? Problem is he might be spending time of the bench alot with Kearney, contempomi, lewis, warner and possibly Fitzgerald getting a look in.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Allez les Blues predated Bourgoine by at least a year. I can remember it being sung in Biarittz in Jan'04 - I remember the funny looks we were getting from the Locals hijacking their language
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

"Allez Les Bleus" is just nicked from the French national team. You'll hear it when we play France - though it usually doesn't get an airing until they are dominating a match ... so those of us who travel to Paris regularly have heard it a bit over the years ... :roll:
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

I think that the Allez chant had its first airing on a bus up to Ravenhill one chilly winters evening a couple of years ago - the only problem is that those on the bus were so hammered they may have forgotten that it was them that started it!
Get in the f%~king bag.
JoseFantastique
Mullet

Post by JoseFantastique »

Nothing beats "we dream of a team of 15 Frankie Sheehans".
It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

JoseFantastique wrote:Nothing beats "we dream of a team of 15 Frankie Sheehans".
So do we....wearing red! :wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

JoseFantastique wrote:Nothing beats "we dream of a team of 15 Frankie Sheehans".
So do we....wearing red! :wink:

Allez les bleaus did originate on that Ravenhill trip I think. Needless to say, I didn't take the bus, myself, big Deep Blue, Royston Sole and CKav hopped in the X5 (cans of Harp in the cooler needless to say).

Great trip!
ktf.
Mullet

Post by ktf. »

brian_c wrote:So with a little over a week to go until we are back chanting in the terraces again, I was just wondering, is there any story to the origin of the "allez les bleus" chant. The first time I heard it was in Bath Jan 2005, but I'm sure it didn't magically appear that day.

its much older than that the chant can be dated all the way back to late 2003 early 2004 on a cold night in ravenhill for what was the old celtic cup, a very bizzar drawn game that no one could understand who actually won.

it was about 10 leinster fans and a crazy yank and crazy french man,

it was one that night that the true meaning of leinster fans wasa sired
Your my boy Blue!!!!!!!!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ktf. wrote:

its much older than that the chant can be dated all the way back to late 2003 early 2004 on a cold night in ravenhill for what was the old celtic cup, a very bizzar drawn game that no one could understand who actually won.

Can't have been as bizarre as last year when we welcomed the first (and till now only) member of the Ethiopian Leinster Supporters Club to Ravers!!! You should have seen him when we got back to Kiely's - him running up to all these Ross's in Leinster jerseys yelling "we won, we won"!
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

Flash Gordon wrote:Can't have been as bizarre as last year when we welcomed the first (and till now only) member of the Ethiopian Leinster Supporters Club to Ravers!!! You should have seen him when we got back to Kiely's - him running up to all these Ross's in Leinster jerseys yelling "we won, we won"!
Was that the same guy who posted on leinsterrugby.ie in broken english to say that he was coming over to ireland to worship Brian O'Driscoll? It was an hilarious post.
There was also a very nice French lady on the bus, Sandrine I think her name was. She looked after R for me while I got the pints in. Haven't seen her since!
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

It began in October 2003, in Ulster. 15 of us went north on the inaugural Love Leinster tour bus. Breener had just started in his job as PRO. A french guy in our midst, Philippe (who got married recently - felicitiations Philippe! :happy clapper: ) was the life and soul of our party, and as such, myself and a friend of my Dad's began chanting Allez Les Bleus.

And the rest, as they say...est l'histoire...
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

ktf. wrote:

ah yes, Mr KTF - I had forgotten you were there! I think I have a photo of that night somewhere. Must dig it out. Happy days.....
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Err.. not quite.
brian_c
Mullet

Post by brian_c »

ckav wrote: It began in October 2003, in Ulster. 15 of us went north on the inaugural Love Leinster tour bus. Breener had just started in his job as PRO. A french guy in our midst, Philippe (who got married recently - felicitiations Philippe! :happy clapper: ) was the life and soul of our party, and as such, myself and a friend of my Dad's began chanting Allez Les Bleus.

And the rest, as they say...est l'histoire...
So that's the story of how "Allez les bleus" came to Leinster. Next it's the origins of Maggie's pacifier.... :mrgreen:
Its a by-pass. You've got to build by-passes.
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

brian_c wrote: any ideas for some good new ones for this season?
At the risk of repeating myself:
I LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
HE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
SHE LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT
YOU LIKE TO, MOVE IT
Only to be sung when we score from inside our own 22 a la Toulouse!
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

ktf. wrote:

You're trying to claim credit for "Allez Les Bleu" now? I think French rugby may just have pipped you to that one. Besides old skool Leinster supporters don't sing, you should know that ktf.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

ckav wrote:
ktf. wrote:

ah yes, Mr KTF - I had forgotten you were there! I think I have a photo of that night somewhere. Must dig it out. Happy days.....
Did it not happen when at the Celtic League final when Leinster beat Munster....I have vague memories of some turniptrotter chanting allez les rouge and I stood up on my own and chanted alllez les bleus...so Ahem I started it.... :wink:

In fairness I think it gained its legs in Biarritz....so funny.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Duff Paddy wrote:Besides old skool Leinster supporters don't sing, you should know that ktf.
Chip off the old block, eh Duff? Pater must be proud! :wink:
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Duff, naturally the French have sung it for years but I have a strong feeling that it was first sung in Donnybrook by Leinster fans when Leinster were playing a French team back in the early days of the European/Heino cup... :?

EDIT: changed my post a bit to avoid confusion.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!