Worst Leinster signing?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Worst Leinster signing?

Post by cormac »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Blue not red blood wrote:Re that Quarter Final.

He brought an unfit Gleeson over Jennings. Another master stroke by a clown
Our back row was destroyed that day.

Oh and I have been attending Leinster Matches back to 1973 against the All Blacks. Think that was the one where Kevin Mays almost lost his ear in a stamping incident. It may have been 1977 game though

Gleeson had returned from injury and had played in three of the four previous games. Jennings would have been as a big a selectorial decision as Potts at the time with Gleeson being an international still at his peak and Jennings similar to Potts being the young pretender. Unfit might be a bit unfair though useful in an argument.
The Leicester back row that day weren't too shabby either with Moody, Back and Corry an experienced and World Cup winning trio and Leicester a Major European force at the time, whereas Leinster at the time were just finding their way in Europe.
With regards the All Blacks match, personally I remember when I first saw Munster, Garryowen, Shannon, Limerick hurlers, soccer team etc play. Those days are priceless childhood memories. Certainly a four year gap is a large grey area.
Do the maths
Gleeson had started two matches before the Leicester game having not played for a year due to a broken arm (against Italy in Mar 04, followed by a broken leg in pre-season). Fully fit, Gleeson was the better player, but he was nowhere near his best at that time, understandably, and Jennings was in flying form. Potts was a decent player, and might have developed into a very good one, but he was very green at the time and lacked the physicality needed for a game against Leicester. Selecting Eric Miller at 8 was a mistake too.

Having said all that, selecting Costello and Jennings probably wouldn't have had much effect on the scoreline. We were flattered by our 6/6 record in the group stages against three poor sides and we weren't really a contender to win it.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

suisse wrote:
Let us remember this one too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMiJv0mPVDM
Really nice first scrum there for Ronnie... :roll:

I'm going to have to nominate him for that alone!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

johng wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Fosi Pal'amo was terrible, hardly played a game and was an unfit 145 kg. That being said, I'm assuming he was relatively cheap.
A but harsh. Think he was in Ireland playing club rugby and they gave him a run. Was apparently going quite well in training too until he bent down to tie his lace and cut his knee badly on some glass on the pitch. Went on to play for Samoa in the 2007 World Cup and for Leeds in the Premiership. Think he's settled in Dublin too, met him a few times, very nice chap.
Playing for Monkstown up til last season AFAIK.
Wanderers. Lovely bloke, only just retired.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:
Blue not red blood wrote:Re that Quarter Final.

He brought an unfit Gleeson over Jennings. Another master stroke by a clown
Our back row was destroyed that day.

Oh and I have been attending Leinster Matches back to 1973 against the All Blacks. Think that was the one where Kevin Mays almost lost his ear in a stamping incident. It may have been 1977 game though

Gleeson had returned from injury and had played in three of the four previous games. Jennings would have been as a big a selectorial decision as Potts at the time with Gleeson being an international still at his peak and Jennings similar to Potts being the young pretender. Unfit might be a bit unfair though useful in an argument.
The Leicester back row that day weren't too shabby either with Moody, Back and Corry an experienced and World Cup winning trio and Leicester a Major European force at the time, whereas Leinster at the time were just finding their way in Europe.
With regards the All Blacks match, personally I remember when I first saw Munster, Garryowen, Shannon, Limerick hurlers, soccer team etc play. Those days are priceless childhood memories. Certainly a four year gap is a large grey area.
Do the maths
Gleeson had started two matches before the Leicester game having not played for a year due to a broken arm (against Italy in Mar 04, followed by a broken leg in pre-season). Fully fit, Gleeson was the better player, but he was nowhere near his best at that time, understandably, and Jennings was in flying form. Potts was a decent player, and might have developed into a very good one, but he was very green at the time and lacked the physicality needed for a game against Leicester. Selecting Eric Miller at 8 was a mistake too.

Having said all that, selecting Costello and Jennings probably wouldn't have had much effect on the scoreline. We were flattered by our 6/6 record in the group stages against three poor sides and we weren't really a contender to win it.
wasnt some/all of the gametime Gleeson got then in AIL including one 40 minuter

while we're on it IMO Gleeson is the second best Leinster player of pro era behind BOD, we can blame EOS for him retiring prematurely. Flipside, at time Cheika said not worried as we've Jennings and this young openside from Tullow who's hard as nails
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That ankle injury really affected Gleeson terribly. I remember reading that it took him another year after it healed before he actually felt 100%.

Great player, one of our best signings actually. I often forget we signed him given that he was Irish.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Don't know if Gleeson played for Mary's as part of his comeback, but he definitely started the two Celtic League games before the Leicester game.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
wasnt some/all of the gametime Gleeson got then in AIL including one 40 minuter

while we're on it IMO Gleeson is the second best Leinster player of pro era behind BOD, we can blame EOS for him retiring prematurely. Flipside, at time Cheika said not worried as we've Jennings and this young openside from Tullow who's hard as nails
At the time, Reggie said he wanted him fattened up and stuck in the middle IIRC!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

simonno6 wrote:At least Hekenui played a few matches! The likes of Gomez were more at home at their local batter dispensary than putting in the effort in training.

Some people have very short memories!

Ciaran Potts - pushed his way to starting 6 before injuring himself badly, he was a really solid player.
Fosi - turned up seriously overweight but by the time he got into the swing of things he was a good contributor to the team. A cult hero in my eyes.
Jowitt - liked the women and the aprés match, but again when he was on top form he was a very decent player.

Gomez, Finnegan, Galaza, Sykes, Hepworth and Leek we're all useless. Ricky Nebbett was shite too.
I think the two Internationals Gomez and Galarza should jointly get it. We met some Argies at the 07RWC and were asking them about the great new prop Leinster had just recruited but they were unsure who he was - apparently Juan Gomez as a name is the equivalent of Paddy Murphy in Argentina. That should have been been a warning sign, he was truly awful. He looked fat and unhappy to be on the pitch when he played (mainly for the As as I recall). Galarza has fooled a few other clubs after Leinster and got a few more caps but he was equally shite.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Is Galarza not decent now? Thought he was just poor for us.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Is Galarza not decent now? Thought he was just poor for us.
He'd come straight from amateur rugby in fairness.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Can't believe they were both argentinean internationals. Don't get the criticism of Potts, a 6'6" back row and a fine player.cruel injury blow
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

neiliog93 wrote:Can't believe they were both argentinean internationals. Don't get the criticism of Potts, a 6'6" back row and a fine player.cruel injury blow
Only one person criticised him, everyone else pointing out how promising he was
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

rdsblue wrote: Galarza has fooled a few other clubs after Leinster and got a few more caps but he was equally shite.
Galarza was a young guy moving from amateur rugby to the other side of the world. It didn't work out. He has shown he has the ability though. He was appearing in the RC a few months ago and started for Argentina against South Africa and came off the bench in NZ. He didn't disgrace himself either. He went back home and played in the Vodacom Cup which is basically the lead in tournament to the Currie Cup.

He's playing in England now and starting regularly. Strong chance he'll be a 50 cap international.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

All Blacks nil wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:Can't believe they were both argentinean internationals. Don't get the criticism of Potts, a 6'6" back row and a fine player.cruel injury blow
I never said it was more than one person. I don't get that one person's criticism.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

neiliog93 wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:
I never said it was more than one person. I don't get that one person's criticism.
He was trying to discredit Kidney for picking him at the time.
LENSTA
Knowledgeable

Post by LENSTA »

Tony Goldfinch. So bad he passed almost un-noticed in and out of the club. Played a HC cup game against Toulouse due to injuries, I think. Probably the highest level of rugby he ever played in his life.

Rocked into D'brook in 97 with awesome "good face"e.g. kiwi accent, excellent build and amiable personality. Promptly signed up by the then quite amateurish Leinster branch based on his kiwi credentials and probably inflated rugby CV. No youtube back then :(

Leinster Branch thought process: Hey... if someone is black they are good at basketball, right? If someone is from NZ they will be an awesome rugby player, right?

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/result ... ef=dynamic

http://www.ercrugby.com/matchcentre/16949.php
#ScrapTheLions
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Was he really 5'5" though? Sounds hard to believe in a back row with Trevor Brennan and big Vic.

He played a game against Connacht too with Elwood and Jamie Heaslip's big bro playing for Connacht. :)
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

http://www.ercrugby.com/matchcentre/pla ... layer=2319

6'3 according to this. Although I would love to see a 5'5 Openside.
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

What about Aaron Freeman?
As provinces went professional, the search for overseas players to strengthen the sides gathered pace. Some of the selections were appalling. Leinster chose Aaron Freeman, an American who struggled to make the Lansdowne second team, and Tony Goldfinch, a New Zealand blindside to fill in at open side.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/m ... 48136.html
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonno6 wrote:http://www.ercrugby.com/matchcentre/pla ... layer=2319

6'3 according to this. Although I would love to see a 5'5 Openside.
You mean the cubic flanker that was Phil Waugh? Even he was slightly more than 5'5"