A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Friendly announced

Post by Leinsterman »

Leinster stars in action on home ground
8 March 2006, 4:29 pm
Leinster supporters will have one last chance to cheer on their heroes before the side's Heineken Cup quarter final in Toulouse.
Leinster have confirmed that they will face Italian Super 10 outfit Petrarca Padova in Donnybrook on St. Patrick's Day (KO: 6pm) in the build up to the Heineken Cup quarter-final with current champions Toulouse.

Petrarca are the former club of Leinster assistant coach David Knox whom the Australian played for three seasons. Knox helped guide the Italians to the national championship in 1986/'87.

They are coached by South African Paul Roux and the friendly fixture will fill the gap in the fixture calendar for the province during the month of March.

Meanwhile, supporters hoping to purchase tickets for the Heineken Cup quarter final in Toulouse have until 1pm on Monday (13 March) to do so.

Tickets sales have passed the 4,600 mark and are available on http://www.leinsterrugby.ie
FFS...... next Friday? St. Patrick's Day? Scheduling at its very finest..... :roll:
We don't even have the internationals back for that game.

SOURCE
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Paddy's Day? Are they nuts? What about the Schools cup final?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Don't think its about getting a spectacle for the fans its about getting game time. And I think we couldn't afford to be to selective as to the opposition to be honest.....

I guess you make your own choice whether you want to go to Donnybrook, the parade or watch Rock hammer Michaels to win the schools cup for the 45964985639465th time......
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
King Henry
Beginner

Post by King Henry »

Flash Gordon wrote:Don't think its about getting a spectacle for the fans its about getting game time. And I think we couldn't afford to be to selective as to the opposition to be honest.....

I guess you make your own choice whether you want to go to Donnybrook, the parade or watch Rock hammer Michaels to win the schools cup for the 45964985639465th time......
It's an insult to Padova asking them to play on the quicksand in Donnybrook. If it's a wet evening, then some of the visiting team may sink beyond trace - much as Leinster will in Toulouse unless the pack starts performing.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

What time does the Schools Final KO??
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Don't forget Felipe is also unavaliable as he'll be over the the UK for the Paddies day game. . .

How the branch can bill this as 'a hugh boost for the Quarter Final preperations' is beyond me.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

At least it's free for season ticket holders.

Every cloud, yada yadda yadda :roll:
cj
Graduate

Padova game

Post by cj »

I agree it's very strange timing. We'll effectively be putting out our 2nd XV, the only point of the exercise being to give players such as Big Ben a final chance to prove themselves. Psychologically it also means we won't go to Tolouse without a game in 3 weeks. However playing a week later would have been far more beneficial, although I assume they were desperate for any fixture they could get.

I'm also concerned about the standard of Padova. It'll be one of those lose-lose situations confidence-wise. If we destroy them, will it tell us that much about the players involved? And if we lose how can we possibly go into the Tolouse game with any confidence.

I realise we needed a fixture badly, but this isn't what we needed.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Padova game

Post by harryp »

cj wrote:I agree it's very strange timing. We'll effectively be putting out our 2nd XV, the only point of the exercise being to give players such as Big Ben a final chance to prove themselves. Psychologically it also means we won't go to Tolouse without a game in 3 weeks. However playing a week later would have been far more beneficial, although I assume they were desperate for any fixture they could get.

I'm also concerned about the standard of Padova. It'll be one of those lose-lose situations confidence-wise. If we destroy them, will it tell us that much about the players involved? And if we lose how can we possibly go into the Tolouse game with any confidence.

I realise we needed a fixture badly, but this isn't what we needed.
Agreed.

1.Should have played away. Another game on that pitch is not going to improve any aspect of our game, and shall probably dent confidence further.
2.Missing Players. Point of the game was to give 1st 15 a run, or as close as possible. We are going to be missing at least 5 key players.
3.Opposition. I initially agreed with Padova, but not in these circumstances. A Blues v Whites game, a game against the Leinster U21's, or even a selection from AIL Sides would have been better served and played following week.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

1st choice (22) players that will be missing for this game:

Blaney, O'Kelly, Heaslip, Gleeson (maybe), Contepomi, Kearney, D'Arcy, BOD, Horgan, Dempsey, Lewis, Sexton (if he's considered for the bench)

Which leaves us with:

Corrigan, Jackman, Green, Williams, Byrnes, Jowitt, Ronan/Gleeson, Miller, Easterby, Hickey, Burke, Hepworth, ?, Brown, Hickie

What's the point?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Think Erics with the baa-baas that day as well
I have Bumbleflex
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

It's a complte waste of time. At the least it could have been used to work on lineouts against a decent pack but now we are going to missing the man who will probably be throwing in and our main jumper.

An utterly pointless fixture
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Dave

You're right. So it'll probably be Crawford at 8.

As an exercise in giving some of our players a slightly more intense match than AIL (is there any games that weekend?) or a training match it makes sense. As preparation for any sort of teamwork, unit play or anything else it doesn't make any sense. But I suppose all our 1st XV will be playing a game for someone that weekend so that makes a little sense.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

King Henry wrote:
It's an insult to Padova asking them to play on the quicksand in Donnybrook. .
No it isn't. It's a honour that their guys are getting to line out against the galacticos. A career highlight for many of them I should think. Rock V Michaels will be better and will certainly put a dent in the attendance at teh Brook.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Duff Paddy wrote:
King Henry wrote:
It's an insult to Padova asking them to play on the quicksand in Donnybrook. .
No it isn't. It's a honour that their guys are getting to line out against the galacticos. A career highlight for many of them I should think. Rock V Michaels will be better and will certainly put a dent in the attendance at teh Brook.
Probably will, I go to Schools Final religiously. Might make DB after, 6 KO it could be done. Drinking would have to take a dent then :?

Any plans for Drums, Bodhrans and Songs for Padova??
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

seems that Bommer is the only Leinster man released for the BaBas. Seems like the rest of the lads have been withdrawn for the friendly - phew!

http://www.rugbyrugby.com/news/story_49553.shtml
Beer Baron
Rhys Ruddock
Location: Ministry of Communications, Gary Brown Fundamenalist Supporters Front, Dublin 7

Post by Beer Baron »

Didn't realise that we weren't going to have our full squad til I saw some of the comments made today... Was pleased they organised a friendly and that it was free to season ticket holders but is there any point if we dont have the first XV? Wasn't that the idea behind this friendly??? :?:
'Oh miss PacMan, i'd sex that bow right off your head!'
'Eat those dots, you naughty, naughty girl!'
apple sourz
Mullet

Post by apple sourz »

I'm sure it was a tough decision for Padova. Would you like to come to Dublin for St. Patricks Day?!

Well, I'll be there, armed with my minty fresh beverage and my bodhran. :wink:
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Probably will, I go to Schools Final religiously. Might make DB after, 6 KO it could be done. Drinking would have to take a dent then
Wot time is the schools cup on at?

Definetly want to get to the Brook for this one....could give us time to prepare some good drummin chants, rather than the musically underpar effort last Sunday!!
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

TrueBlue wrote:rather than the musically underpar effort last Sunday!!
Ssssssssh! It's all about gelling and peaking at the right time. :wink: