Leinster v Glasgow

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

awaaf
Bookworm

Re: Leinster v Glasgow

Post by awaaf »

Morf wrote:Due to other stuff I wasn't entirely concentrating on the game while watching on tv but it seemed like there was a good deal more threat and invention in the backline.
Is that you John Gilligan?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Hahaha! Can't argue with that!

I'm not sure I'd agree with Fanning for MotM though, he was simply dreadful for a break of theirs down the left that they ended up scoring pretty quickly on the right (and would have straight away if the guy who turned Fanning had thought of passing). Whereas Sam Double-Barrel was the definition of persistence in defence, despite being targeted as the smallest guy to run at a couple of times.

Scrum was an absolute mess with Ross and Cronin on. Schmidt won't have liked that. McCarthy worked hard and it seems his almost Trevor Hogan like good looks haven't been spoiled by the stamping, stitches, and infection. Which is the important thing.

It seems churlish to criticise our play when we are in fact, "top of the league and avin' a larf", so I won't.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

TBH I thought Rhys Rudds did more for MOTM although no one had an error free game as far as I could tell so happy to see DF get it.

Glasgow fully deserve to be somewhere in the top four of the league come the end of the season. They're a quality outfit.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

fourthirtythree wrote:

Hahaha! Can't argue with that!

I'm not sure I'd agree with Fanning for MotM though, he was simply dreadful for a break of theirs down the left that they ended up scoring pretty quickly on the right (and would have straight away if the guy who turned Fanning had thought of passing). Whereas Sam Double-Barrel was the definition of persistence in defence, despite being targeted as the smallest guy to run at a couple of times.

Scrum was an absolute mess with Ross and Cronin on. Schmidt won't have liked that. McCarthy worked hard and it seems his almost Trevor Hogan like good looks haven't been spoiled by the stamping, stitches, and infection. Which is the important thing.

It seems churlish to criticise our play when we are in fact, "top of the league and avin' a larf", so I won't.
Ross and Cronin weren't on at the same time.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Sorry, Strauss.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

I thought up until last night that Fanning was pretty average but he took his try well,chased kicks strongly and did take some hard lines infield.
Unfortunately Fanning made a really poor attempt at a tackle right in front of us and let Jackson,who has some gas, away that led to a Glasgow try in the other corner.Having said that he has done well in his games and best of luck to him.

Previous comments about Madigan's game management cannot be disregarded I feel. He tried a short 22 drop out to himself which we never regained territory from and led to a Glasgow score and a really ill chosen kick to Fanning after Dominic Ryan had won a great turnover at a Glasgow scrum.
Madigan poses a threat with ball in hand,runs the back line well but his choice of plays on a wet windy night does leave alot to be desired at times.
We were hanging on against a really good Glasgow team when, if we played a bit more territory , perhaps could have got a bonus there last night.

It has to be said though that we have managed the International break brilliantly,making up the ground on Munster,are relatively injury free bar O'Brien and whatever is going on with Luke. I know alot of people are thinking we don't have much of a chance in the HC this year but we have a formidable pack,minus SOB of course,and I think with the first choice team back from Joe's influence and a back up team that are really well battle hardened
that silverware is a realistic goal this year especially in the Rabo and if we can overcome Toulon no one will want to play us in the Aviva.
Last edited by bronxbull on March 2nd, 2014, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Madigan's kicking was excelleent and he put in some great tackling too. His passing was good also. He is in good form.

What would concern me was some of the tackles put in last night. Some were quite reckless - bodies being used virtually as human battering rams. There will be consequences if the game does not address such reckless tackling - both in health terms and in financial terms. I would hate to see all the padding as in the USA but it seems inevitable.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Raydollard wrote:Madigan's kicking was excelleent and he put in some great tackling too. His passing was good also. He is in good form.

What would concern me was some of the tackles put in last night. Some were quite reckless - bodies being used virtually as human battering rams. There will be consequences if the game does not address such reckless tackling - both in health terms and in financial terms. I would hate to see all the padding as in the USA but it seems inevitable.
Padding doesn't help it just makes players tackle even harder, as they don't have to care about their bodies... Thats why NFL players careers are generally really short.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

What was the deal with Luke not playing ? - Injury or illness??
Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

mikey wrote:What was the deal with Luke not playing ? - Injury or illness??
Pulled out with an injury.

http://www.thescore.ie/luke-fitzgerald- ... 7-Mar2014/
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Having watched 4 and a half games over the weekend from Super Rugby, Top 14, PRL and Pro12, am in complete disagreement with anybody critical of our performance against Glasgow. This was the most competitive game in NH leagues over the weekend and the standard of rugby higher than average. The referee was superb is his understanding of the game and his application of advantage and common sense.

Leinster have done very well this season to cope with the loss of 17 players to International duty and with the consequent changing of our team. Fanning gave the finger to his doubters last night, even if not a unanimous choice as MOTM. McGrath, Cronin and Moore are now top standard front-row. McCarthy has continued as a serious working enforcer. RR and Jordi are excellent and complimentary flankers. Leo and Jenno do a job but neither have the electric gas any longer. At the back, ZK threatens to quicken the blood, but rarely ignites. SCM did an excellent cameo of Shane Williams and Noel Reid finds space with his quick feet. Those not mentioned did not star on the night.

Not surprised by three important defensive errors, given so many unaccustomed partnerships. Really impressed by how well their former No 8 Richie Vernon has made the conversion to centre and suggest we sent Jordan Coughlan on same training course.

Most impressed from whole day with Matt's response to TG4 interviewer when informed of Munster loss "Oh, did they, that's a shame"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jerry Flannery was on good form on the commentary yesterday, "I have a lot of time for Nico Matawalu, he reminds me of myself as a player"
I have Bumbleflex
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

That last 4 minutes was managed incredibly well. That's the kind of thing Cullen brings to the team that will be irreplaceable. It was a textbook example of protecting the ball to defend a three point lead. Outstanding leadership from him, guiding the play back and forth. The usual morons that spout on about how he should be dropped don't seem to understand the importance of that.

19 points from 4 games with 14 first choice players at Ireland camp? Yeah, Matt O'Connor out all right. Sure thing.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Raydollard wrote:Madigan's kicking was excelleent and he put in some great tackling too. His passing was good also. He is in good form.

It certainly wasn't excellent, he put one shocker out on the full and the 22 drop was nonsensical.
He seems unable to take the temperature of a game as the saying goes,always looking to speed things up.

The concerns over Madigan as a long term 10 option remain, he's just very hot and cold, often in the same game.

Reddan, Ruddock, McCarthy and Reid were pick of the bunch for me last night.

Ruddock is turning into a supreme talent.

Also impressed with both of our wingers. Any time I see SCM he's looked both solid and pacey going forward, surely a guy with a future in our backline.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

CiaranIrl wrote:That last 4 minutes was managed incredibly well. That's the kind of thing Cullen brings to the team that will be irreplaceable. It was a textbook example of protecting the ball to defend a three point lead. Outstanding leadership from him, guiding the play back and forth. The usual morons that spout on about how he should be dropped don't seem to understand the importance of that.

19 points from 4 games with 14 first choice players at Ireland camp? Yeah, Matt O'Connor out all right. Sure thing.
Ah here! If anything that's the 'moronic' comment!
Last night was Leo's first performance bordering anything like his traditional form.
The 'leadership' he's shown prior to last night involved giving away penalties, getting yellow cards and generally looking ineffectual.

Do you really not think that would have been done without Leo on the field?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Leo's had a poor season but yesterday was closer to vintage. Still a wise head to bring off the bench in H Cup games. Delighted for Fanning to get a try/MOTM (I refuse to 'MVP')...
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Dave Cahill wrote:Jerry Flannery was on good form on the commentary yesterday, "I have a lot of time for Nico Matawalu, he reminds me of myself as a player"
His Irish at the end was shite!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Fanning needs to learn to offload in the tackle, we missed a few sitters cause of his inability to do this. Good game from him, tho I would have given motm to Ruddock or McCarthy, they were both very good.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Player ratings
Kirchener 7 solid and enterprising
Fanning 7 aggressive and intense
McFadden 5 poor handling and indecisive defence
Reid 7 excellent in attack, uncertain in defence
Coughlan-Murray 7 My first look at him , impressed
Madigan 6 a mixed bag, poor restarts, poor tactical kicking, good place kicking,decent passing game.
Reddan 7 typical performance, sharp service
Murphy 6 solid
Jennings 6 quiet outing his in effectiveness magnified by Ryan's performance
Ruddock 8 hard yards all night
McCarthy 8 another hard grafting performance
Cullen 6 a return to form, was counted when needed
Moore 7 solid scrummaging as usual
Cronin 7 typical game, lively in the loose highlight the offload for Reid's try.
McGrath 6 good scrummaging, poor defensively

Replacements
Ross 5 a bad night at the office, destroyed by Glasgow replacement loose head
Strauss 6 like Ross suffered at scrum time
Ryan 7 very effective
Boss 6 sluggish
Bent and Hudson only had a few minutes Gametime.

Great game to watch with Glasgow very competitive. Good win in the end for Leinster.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

When Madigan took that quick restart, wasn't Matawalu offside when he touched it?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish