4%
Other
14%

Total votes: 78

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Who will replace BOD at 13?

Post by goreyguy »

No player will be able to replicate his production but who do you think will be Leinster's 1st choice starting outside centre.

Fergus McFadden(27) - primarily a wing as of late but has played 13.
Luke Fitzgerald(26) - primarily a wing but has made it very clear his desire to play 13.
Colm O'Shea(23) - oft injured centre, in his 3rd year in the academy.
Brendan Macken(22) - primarily an outside centre, but hasn't developed as fast as hoped. But has improved slowly.
Tom Farrell(20) - primarily an outside centre, only in his 1st year with the academy.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Who will replace BOD at 13?

Post by paddyor »

Zebo
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

paddyor wrote:Zebo
:D
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Pen Try
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

goreyguy wrote:No player will be able to replicate his production but who do you think will be Leinster's 1st choice starting outside centre.

Fergus McFadden(27) - primarily a wing as of late but has played 13.
Luke Fitzgerald(26) - primarily a wing but has made it very clear his desire to play 13.
Colm O'Shea(23) - oft injured centre, in his 3rd year in the academy.
Brendan Macken(22) - primarily an outside centre, but hasn't developed as fast as hoped. But has improved slowly.
Tom Farrell(20) - primarily an outside centre, only in his 1st year with the academy.
Right now I would guess, if the new season started right after the 6N, that it will be McF and Macken rotating. Both have issues at OC.

I have a suspicion that we may recruit also. I don't think Luke can realistically be relied on to be fit for a season and of those on the list he is the only one with the defensive nous and toughness required and also the creativity to bring others into the game and cause tries to be scored. Ferg has had lapses defensively at the highest level at OC which wouldn't make you confident and is not really a playmaker. Macken has had issues this year and I'd be very happy to have him playing in the Pro12 and getting the odd European match if needed but I wouldn't want him to be our main man. I wouldn't have had that problem with O'Malley had he not been injured...
AdamK
Rhys Ruddock

Post by AdamK »

Payne.
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

Has Kirchner played much at centre? As there is no standout candidate I'd like to see him tried there. You just never know, remember Isa was very ordinary when he first arrived and played at 10. It was only when he moved to full back that he became the player he was.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Subject to staying fit Luke would be my pick. He has all the attributes to do a great job in both Blue and Green. After him it gets tough. Ferg can fill in and Macken still needs to develop but he has time on his side.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

I think moving Fitz to 13 would be the most obvious move, biggest question mark about it is his ability to stay healthy.
Beyond that McFadden can cover there if needed but ideally isn't a long term option there.
Hard to know how Macken's career will progress over the next 12 months, i thought he was progressing a good deal but his most recent performance leaves me doubting that.
O'Shea is too injury prone and Farrell is still so young.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

AdamK wrote:Payne.
Are we signing him? Ulster will not be happy... :wink:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote:
AdamK wrote:Payne.
Are we signing him? Ulster will not be happy... :wink:
They were going to swap for Jack O'Connell but he failed the ned flanders test and had to go to bristol.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Luke would be my choice too but obviously I share the concerns about his injury record. I think the important thing is that we have a solid back up who can step in. After the first two HC games this year I'd have said Macken was on course to be that player but I'd be less confident now. There aren't really that many games left, it'll be hard to juggle the contenders to give them meaningful game time.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Think Darce will be around for another year or two and Fergus is the one guy who could slot in (either inside or outside Darcy) during that time.

I just prefer Luke on the wing, and while I can understand the appeal of moving him in to 13, I think Ferg and Darcy will be our centres for a year or two. That is of course if we don't bring in a marquee foreigner.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

blockhead wrote:Pen Try
He's been tearing up trees in the Rabo for sure
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Think Luke fits 13 way way better than McFadden.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I fully expect us to sign a player this summer who, while not necessarily an out and out 13, has significant experience there and will take the jersey if nobody else steps up.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Is there anyone playing in another position outside the already named who might be converted or any young guy that has the potential to be fast tracked. A Conrad Smith type guy would be ideal short term cover while we work on project 13.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Fireworks wrote:Is there anyone playing in another position outside the already named who might be converted or any young guy that has the potential to be fast tracked. A Conrad Smith type guy would be ideal short term cover while we work on project 13.
Kirchner maybe?
Darcy could possibly shift over.
Farrell is the best young guy around and a true 13.
Not sure what you mean a conrad smith type, you realize Conrad Smith is best 13 in the SH?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Obviously Conrad Smith would actually be ideal. So no mystery there.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

goreyguy wrote: Brendan Macken(22)
It has to be stressed just how young Macken is - but despite this hes managed nearly 40 caps despite being behind a number of international and international class players. Is he the finished article, of course not, does he have things he needs to work on? Absolutely, but what 22 year old doesn't.
I have Bumbleflex