Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Leinster vs Zebre 7.15pm Fri 21sth Mar

Post by johng »

neiliog93 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:
I share your worries about them defensively. Macken misses too many tackles and gets his positioning/decision-making all wrong, while Reid misses even more than Macken. As for my 'suspicions' about Madigan, I just think with Sexton due to return in a year's time and Gopperth slowing his progress, he might move on at some point. I hope not, but he certainly wouldn't be short of offers.
at which point Gopperth is out of contract
Fair point, but this season and next season allow Gopperth to slow Madigan's development to the point that when Sexton returns, he won't be in a position to mount a credible challenge to be Leinster's first choice 10 for a couple of seasons. He may not want that! (Of course, it's all a moot point if he overtakes Gopperth conclusively next season).
Madigan is contracted until 2016. Gopperth to 2015.......
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
cwebber82 wrote:
paddyor wrote:So back to the Rabo. I think most of the starters in Saturdays game will be given a rest with the subs to feature either as starters or off the bench.

1. Bent
2. Cronin
3. Moore
4. Denton
5. Cullen
6. Ruddock
7. Jennings
8. Conan
9. Boss
10. Gopperth
11. Fitzgerald
12. Reid
13. Macken
14. McFadden
15. Kirchner

16. O'Connell, 17. Strauss, 18. Furlong, 19. Roux, 20. Murphy, 21. Reddan, 22. Madigan, 23. Fanning

Cronin hasn't a lot of game time under his belt and needs a good 60mins as he's likely to be first choice come Munster and Toulon. We could be light on LHs as 've seen it said Healy could be in line for a citing(I can't remember the incident, when will we know?), and apparently McGrath broke his collarbone.
What's all this about Jack McGrath breaking his collarbone? First I'm hearing of it..
He doesn't look like a man with a broken collarbone! Unless it happened on the way home :?

who knew Sean Cronin was part sofa
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
cwebber82 wrote:What's all this about Jack McGrath breaking his collarbone? First I'm hearing of it..
He doesn't look like a man with a broken collarbone! Unless it happened on the way home :?

He did have a sling on after the match at some stage that evening, but it may have been precautionary.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

outcast eddie wrote: Wow! What a season it's been for Marty Moore. I bet 6 months ago he didn't dare dream he would be in a photo like that.
I was thinking the same thing. About this time last year, he was sitting on the bench for the 'A' team's B&I Cup quarter final against Bristol: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/team/results/9612.php

He's had an absolutely meteoric rise.
Silvine
Learner

Post by Silvine »

Why are we assuming Madigan won't be available? He played a v small part in the 6 Nations but would have had the advantage of Joe's coaching. He played v well for the short time he was on the pitch on Saturday and should be given every opportunity to stake his claim for a place on the summer tour. Schmidt obviously has faith in him, and I fail to understand why Gopperth is assumed to be the incumbent. There's little between them but we should give the younger players a chance to shine. Don't want to see him wilting on the bench again or playing out of position. If there's a question mark about the 12 jersey, maybe Gopperth could play there?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Silvine wrote:Why are we assuming Madigan won't be available?
We're not. Or I'm not anyway. I think Mads is in good shape for at least rotation in the squad at 10 if not starting outright.

We will see who is named at 10 for Munster and Toulon......

He can play 10, 12, 15. Gopperth can play 10, 15.

15 won't be an issue with Kirchner ready to rotate with Kearney. 12 won't be an issue if Darce is in good shape. Reid will be fine for the home games in the Pro12 (Zebre, Treviso, Embra)
johng wrote:I would go something like this. Nice to have so many options when missing D'Arcy, Healy, Heaslip, Kearney, Kearney, O'Brien, O'Driscoll, Ross, & Toner.

McGrath/Bent
Cronin
Moore
Cullen
McCarthy
McLaughlin/Ruddock
Jennings/Ryan
Murphy

Boss
Madigan
Fitzgerald
Reid/Goodman
Macken
McFadden
Kirchner

Strauss
Bent/O'Connell
Furlong
Denton/Roux
Jennings/Ryan
Cooney/Reddan
Gopperth
Fanning/Coghlan-Murray
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Re Madigan ever leaving, the only way I could envisage that happening is if we got Sexton back on a 2 or 3 year deal ahead of the world cup, although even at that I'd say it would be unlikely.

We've a couple of really good 10's coming through too though, so even if he did go on a Sexton return, I'd be confident we could build a top class 10 behind Johnny before he was finished.

/baseless internet rumours*

*Expect recap in Gerry Thornleys Monday article of Madigan "In talks with unknown club".
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

[Jackass] wrote:Re Madigan ever leaving, the only way I could envisage that happening is if we got Sexton back on a 2 or 3 year deal ahead of the world cup, although even at that I'd say it would be unlikely.

We've a couple of really good 10's coming through too though, so even if he did go on a Sexton return, I'd be confident we could build a top class 10 behind Johnny before he was finished.

/baseless internet rumours*

*Expect recap in Gerry Thornleys Monday article of Madigan "In talks with unknown club".
even if Sexton came back early youd suspect Gopperth would be carted off to Connacht
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

If and when Sexton returns, madigans future starts to look rather vague. Will he be happy being a backup player for the forseeable future?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

All the subs from Saturday, bar McGrath (shoulder) and Cronin (neck), returned to training today and should be in the squad for Friday. The injuries to McGrath and Cronin are described as "minor knocks".

McLaughlin and Colm O'Shea both name-checked as being back in training after recent injuries.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:All the subs from Saturday, bar McGrath (shoulder) and Cronin (neck), returned to training today and should be in the squad for Friday. The injuries to McGrath and Cronin are described as "minor knocks".

McLaughlin and Colm O'Shea both name-checked as being back in training after recent injuries.
In light of that I would go.....

Bent
Cronin
Moore
Cullen
McCarthy
Ruddock
Jennings/Ryan
Murphy

Boss
Madigan
Fitzgerald
Reid/Goodman
Macken
McFadden
Kirchner

Strauss
O'Connell
Furlong
Denton
Jennings/Ryan
Reddan
Gopperth
Fanning/Coghlan-Murray
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

johng wrote:
cormac wrote:All the subs from Saturday, bar McGrath (shoulder) and Cronin (neck), returned to training today and should be in the squad for Friday. The injuries to McGrath and Cronin are described as "minor knocks".

In light of that I would go.....

Bent
Cronin
Moore
Cullen
McCarthy
Ruddock
Jennings/Ryan
Murphy

Boss
Madigan
Fitzgerald
Reid/Goodman
Macken
McFadden
Kirchner

Strauss
O'Connell
Furlong
Denton
Jennings/Ryan
Reddan
Gopperth
Fanning/Coghlan-Murray
I suspect that Goodman won't be available. We haven't had any 'week too soon' updates for him yet.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Strauss to start if Cronin is carrying a knock?
mhow
Knowledgeable

Post by mhow »

The programme for the Glasgow Warriors game shows Andrew Goodman as a squad player but on page 45 it lists him as having his final Leinster cap in 2012-13 - perhaps this merely reflects the way the database is constructed and the fact that he has not featured this year?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

What's the story with part time Luke?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Peg Leg wrote:What's the story with part time Luke?
Oh come on - some of the names they come up with for our players on 'that other board' are bad enough without us helping them out.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cronin and McGrath officially out for this one but Moore, Murphy, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden definitely in and expected to start
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote:Strauss to start if Cronin is carrying a knock?
Clerical oversight in my post.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

What's happening with Church, no news = good news I 'spose?
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Xanthippe wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:What's the story with part-time Luke?
Oh come on - some of the names they come up with for our players on 'that other board' are bad enough without us helping them out.
Sorry Xan, I forgot the Hyphen!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan