Leinster vs Zebre 7.15pm Fri 21sth Mar

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Leinster vs Zebre 7.15pm Fri 21sth Mar

Post by paddyor »

So back to the Rabo. I think most of the starters in Saturdays game will be given a rest with the subs to feature either as starters or off the bench.

1. Bent
2. Cronin
3. Moore
4. Denton
5. Cullen
6. Ruddock
7. Jennings
8. Conan
9. Boss
10. Gopperth
11. Fitzgerald
12. Reid
13. Macken
14. McFadden
15. Kirchner

16. O'Connell, 17. Strauss, 18. Furlong, 19. Roux, 20. Murphy, 21. Reddan, 22. Madigan, 23. Fanning

Cronin hasn't a lot of game time under his belt and needs a good 60mins as he's likely to be first choice come Munster and Toulon. We could be light on LHs as 've seen it said Healy could be in line for a citing(I can't remember the incident, when will we know?), and apparently McGrath broke his collarbone.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster vs Zebre 7.15pm Fri 21sth Mar

Post by cwebber82 »

paddyor wrote:So back to the Rabo. I think most of the starters in Saturdays game will be given a rest with the subs to feature either as starters or off the bench.

1. Bent
2. Cronin
3. Moore
4. Denton
5. Cullen
6. Ruddock
7. Jennings
8. Conan
9. Boss
10. Gopperth
11. Fitzgerald
12. Reid
13. Macken
14. McFadden
15. Kirchner

16. O'Connell, 17. Strauss, 18. Furlong, 19. Roux, 20. Murphy, 21. Reddan, 22. Madigan, 23. Fanning

Cronin hasn't a lot of game time under his belt and needs a good 60mins as he's likely to be first choice come Munster and Toulon. We could be light on LHs as 've seen it said Healy could be in line for a citing(I can't remember the incident, when will we know?), and apparently McGrath broke his collarbone.
What's all this about Jack McGrath breaking his collarbone? First I'm hearing of it..
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Tough to know without a bill of health being issued on the Leinster site.

There were plenty of big knocks taken over the championship, it would be nice to put out as fresh a team as possible whilst still getting a BP win (which is now absolutely vital, as the top 3 are going to come down to a couple of points here or there imo).

I'd go with

1. Bent 2. Strauss 3. Moore 4. Cullen 5. Denton 6. Ruddock 7. Jennings 8. Murphy
9. Boss 10. Gopperth 11. Fitzgerald 12. Reid 13. Macken 14. Fanning 15. Kirchner
16. Dundon 17. O'Connell 18. Furlong 19. Roux 20. McLoughlin 21. Cooney 22. Madigan 23. McFadden
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

paddyor wrote:So back to the Rabo. I think most of the starters in Saturdays game will be given a rest with the subs to feature either as starters or off the bench.

1. Bent
2. Cronin
3. Moore
4. Denton
5. Cullen
6. Ruddock
7. Jennings
8. Conan
9. Boss
10. Gopperth
11. Fitzgerald
12. Reid
13. Macken
14. McFadden
15. Kirchner

Think this could be his ram man impression on Picamoles over a ruck. Hard to say if there's anything in it, BBC commentary didn't really make too much of it.

What's Fitz's injury status?
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Murphy and Reddan should/will start

Healy went head first into a ruck alright (no arms at all) and was very lucky that Walsh is not the best official ever

I checked McGrath's twitter feed and nothing there, didnt notice him in any homecoming pics
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

simonokeeffe wrote:Murphy and Reddan should/will start

Healy went head first into a ruck alright (no arms at all) and was very lucky that Walsh is not the best official ever

I checked McGrath's twitter feed and nothing there, didnt notice him in any homecoming pics
Does McGrath have a twitter account? Not sure he does..
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

cwebber82 wrote:

Yes he does - it's @jackmc100
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

Xanthippe wrote:
cwebber82 wrote:

Yes he does - it's @jackmc100
Cheers.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

[Jackass] wrote:Tough to know without a bill of health being issued on the Leinster site.
Bit surprised there hasn't been a squad update - there was training and the normal Monday press session today.

Inpho don't have any pictures of the session up at all and Sportsfile only have 26 so far. From what I can see the only internationals obvious in the pictures are Strauss and Ruddock.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Xanthippe wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:Tough to know without a bill of health being issued on the Leinster site.
Bit surprised there hasn't been a squad update - there was training and the normal Monday press session today.

Inpho don't have any pictures of the session up at all and Sportsfile only have 26 so far. From what I can see the only internationals obvious in the pictures are Strauss and Ruddock.
maybe the (hungover) Ireland benchers got the day off
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

cwebber82 wrote:

1. Bent
2. Cronin
3. Moore
4. Denton
5. Cullen
6. Ruddock
7. Jennings
8. Conan
9. Boss
10. Gopperth
11. Fitzgerald
12. Reid
13. Macken
14. McFadden
15. Kirchner

What's all this about Jack McGrath breaking his collarbone? First I'm hearing of it..
He doesn't look like a man with a broken collarbone! Unless it happened on the way home :?

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:

maybe the (hungover) Ireland benchers got the day off
If we assume that only Ruddock and Strauss are available:

1.Bent
2.Strauss
3.Furlong
4.Cullen
5.McCarthy
6.Ruddock
7.Ryan
8.Conan

9.Boss 10.Gopperth 12.Reid 13.Macken 14.Hudson

11.Coghlan-Murray 15.Kirchner

16.Dundon
17.O'Connell
18.Byrne
19.Denton
20.Jennings
21.Cooney
22.Marsh/Windsor
23.Fanning

Front-row pretty much picks itself, be good to see Byrne get another shot off the bench too. Denton has outperformed Roux this season so no argument there either really. The back-row is a tougher selection, Jennings has slowed down a bit this season and D.Ryan has had less starts than he deserves. He's the form 7 and has earned the right to start. Conan was brilliant against Cardiff, this is the perfect chance for him to kick on in his home debut. Kev McLaughlin hasn't been playing well since his injury around Christmas time, so the in-form Ruddock gets the nod. Jennings beats McLaughlin to the bench slot.

Gopperth is our only real option at 10 in the anticipated absence of Madigan, with Boss way ahead at 9 too. As much as McGrath probably has more potential, Cooney still beats him to the bench slot. The game represents another good chance for the Reid-Macken axis to develop further against relatively low-standard opposition. I'm aware that Hudson is leaving to Bristol but he's been in excellent form off the bench and is a bigger attacking threat than Fanning. Against a poor team like Zebre, it's better to go for a tryscorer out wide than a 'solid' winger. Coghlan-Murray was excellent against Glasgow, especially defensively, and should be rewarded for his good form and persistence after Meningitis with another start. ZK picks himself at 15 and Fanning is our only real option off the bench. I've defended him on these boards, but I still wouldn't start him against Zebre (I know he was MOTM against Glasgow btw).

Substitute out-half is an interesting one and if you reply to one part of this spiel, choose this. I'm not sure whether Marsh is injured, and even if he isn't, there's a good argument for putting Windsor in at 10. He's 25, has played the level below Super Rugby in Australia (and was in the Brumbies squad). Playing for Trinity now and has played for Leinster 'A'. He's also Irish-qualified. Last 25 minutes against Zebre with the game already won, a promising 'running' out-half in the Australian style might be just what's needed. With Marsh's progress slow and suspicions that Madigan could leave at some point in the future, it might be wise to give this lad a go.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

What do you mean by, "With Marsh's progress slow and suspicions that Madigan could leave at some point in the future, it might be wise to give this lad a go."?

What suspicion is this?!
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I would go something like this. Nice to have so many options when missing D'Arcy, Healy, Heaslip, Kearney, Kearney, O'Brien, O'Driscoll, Ross, & Toner.

McGrath/Bent
Cronin
Moore
Cullen
McCarthy
McLaughlin/Ruddock
Jennings/Ryan
Murphy

Boss
Madigan
Fitzgerald
Reid/Goodman
Macken
McFadden
Kirchner

Strauss
Bent/O'Connell
Furlong
Denton/Roux
Jennings/Ryan
Cooney/Reddan
Gopperth
Fanning/Coghlan-Murray
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the Reid Macken axis fills me with as much joy and confidence as Shatter Callinan, especially defensively if theyre outside Gopperth
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

simonokeeffe wrote:the Reid Macken axis fills me with as much joy and confidence as Shatter Callinan, especially defensively if theyre outside Gopperth
I share your worries about them defensively. Macken misses too many tackles and gets his positioning/decision-making all wrong, while Reid misses even more than Macken. As for my 'suspicions' about Madigan, I just think with Sexton due to return in a year's time and Gopperth slowing his progress, he might move on at some point. I hope not, but he certainly wouldn't be short of offers.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Xanthippe wrote:

I think the bulk of the squad only came back this afternoon (according to OLSC FB feed), so Leinster may not have any access to fitness updates yet.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:the Reid Macken axis fills me with as much joy and confidence as Shatter Callinan, especially defensively if theyre outside Gopperth
I share your worries about them defensively. Macken misses too many tackles and gets his positioning/decision-making all wrong, while Reid misses even more than Macken. As for my 'suspicions' about Madigan, I just think with Sexton due to return in a year's time and Gopperth slowing his progress, he might move on at some point. I hope not, but he certainly wouldn't be short of offers.
at which point Gopperth is out of contract
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:
at which point Gopperth is out of contract
Fair point, but this season and next season allow Gopperth to slow Madigan's development to the point that when Sexton returns, he won't be in a position to mount a credible challenge to be Leinster's first choice 10 for a couple of seasons. He may not want that! (Of course, it's all a moot point if he overtakes Gopperth conclusively next season).
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
cwebber82 wrote:

1. Bent
2. Cronin
3. Moore
4. Denton
5. Cullen
6. Ruddock
7. Jennings
8. Conan
9. Boss
10. Gopperth
11. Fitzgerald
12. Reid
13. Macken
14. McFadden
15. Kirchner

He doesn't look like a man with a broken collarbone! Unless it happened on the way home :?

Wow! What a season it's been for Marty Moore. I bet 6 months ago he didn't dare dream he would be in a photo like that.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.