Time to go MOC

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

All Blacks nil
Mullet

Re: Time to go MOC

Post by All Blacks nil »

simonokeeffe wrote:Richard Cockerill is circling the drain at Leicester, maybe MOC will happily return at the end of the season
Maybe Cockerill might suit the Leinster job. You probably need an experienced forwards coach and Richie Murphy can look after the backs

Or I'f MOC stays you could just reunite Cockerill and MOC
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

All Blacks nil wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Richard Cockerill is circling the drain at Leicester, maybe MOC will happily return at the end of the season
Maybe Cockerill might suit the Leinster job. You probably need an experienced forwards coach and Richie Murphy can look after the backs

Or I'f MOC stays you could just reunite Cockerill and MOC
Neil Back as scrum coach?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Tricky Dicky
Knowledgeable

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Martin Johnson is out of a job
He who fights, and runs away... ...can run away another day
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Tricky Dicky wrote:Martin Johnson is out of a job
So is Declan Kidney
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Fanning got player of the month for September
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

simonokeeffe wrote:Fanning got player of the month for September
Just started a thread on that, more looking to find out the actual process behind POTM and how a sponsor can simply award it using whatever means they find.
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23689
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

says a lot about the kinda month we have.. although there was no way he was our best player.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

goreyguy wrote:
says a lot about the kinda month we have.. although there was no way he was our best player.
Sometimes it's not about being the best player, I'm sure you can get it for showing the most development/improvement and to be fair he has come on in leaps and bounds. Maybe people don't like him cause he's a ginger but Fanning is developing into a pretty solid pro and IMO has developed beyond what I thought he's ceiling was so it'll be interesting to see how much more he has in him.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

he is an average rugby player who is currently playing at his peak in a average team getting poor results, nothing to do with him being ginger.
He is big, works hard and does some things well, but Leinster should be aiming for a higher quality player in the team.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

goreyguy wrote:he is an average rugby player who is currently playing at his peak in a average team getting poor results, nothing to do with him being ginger.
He is big, works hard and does some things well, but Leinster should be aiming for a higher quality player in the team.
He's a young player, how do you know what his peak is? Tommy Bowe was fairly average early on in his career, I seem to remember some commentators saying he wasn't good enough to play international wing. He did ok in the end I think right....
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

goreyguy wrote:he is an average rugby player who is currently playing at his peak in a average team getting poor results, nothing to do with him being ginger.
If he is playing at his peak as you say, why shouldn't he be rewarded for that by getting this month's award? I'd rather they reward an average player who is actually playing well in terms of his abilities than an international/world class player who isn't.

If everyone was fit Fanning wouldn't be in the team. They aren't, so he is and he is giving it a go.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
AIL DIEHARD

Post by AIL DIEHARD »

We are really showing our class. Sacking coaches , criticising players Grow up and give the players and team a chance, Support through thick and thin. Why don't all the people who are criticising MOC put up their resume and we will see how they stack up.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Fanning is 28, so by no means young.

Don't really get why there's any consternation about this. A lot of people have been quite patronising to Fanning, whereas actually he has been one of our few backs who have played remotely close to their potential since the start of the year. Scored a great try at the weekend too that would have been lauded had it been Luke Fitz.

The lad deserves it and, like Bent and Denton, is the type of squad player that all teams need.

I think a lot of it might stem from the fact that there's a lot of people who'd prefer to see a young unproven back thrown in instead of Fanning, who we know what he can do. I don't necessarily agree and he's certainly performed adequately so far this year. Against Cardiff, Scarlets and Munster, he was one of our top players on the night.
Last edited by wixfjord on October 9th, 2014, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

TerenureJim wrote:
He's a young player, how do you know what his peak is? Tommy Bowe was fairly average early on in his career, I seem to remember some commentators saying he wasn't good enough to play international wing. He did ok in the end I think right....
He isn't. He's 28.

That's a bizarre comparison. Bowe was a star in an under 21 World Cup where Ireland got to the final. He was good for Ulster and the only things that really held him back were the fact that EOS was conservative (despite capping him a few months after that JWC) and the emergence of Andrew Trimble. Think George Hook was the only one saying he wasn't good enough (or more to the point,not fast enough) for international rugby but like most of his opinions, he plucked that right out of his arse just for the sake of saying something. A bit like Heaslip, Bowe got more of a proper go at international level after the 07 WC.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

TerenureJim wrote:
Comparing Fanning to Tommy Bowe. Ive seen it all now. 28 is not young.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

curates_egg wrote:
Just started a thread on that, more looking to find out the actual process behind POTM and how a sponsor can simply award it using whatever means they find.
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23689
Bank of Ireland out (also means Heaslip out)
September out

will join the other thread with an actual answer (used to be emailing leinster with it)
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

goreyguy wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
Comparing Fanning to Tommy Bowe. Ive seen it all now. 28 is not young.
Mea culpa I had Fanj at 24/25 but I think my case stands, he's taking his chance look he's not a world beater but I also can't be hugely critical of any of his performances so there's no reason with more exposure at this level he won't show more lines like his try on Saturday and as such is fully deserving of his player reward.

Don't see why I can't compare & contrast, I'm not saying they're on the same level just that it's very easy to pigeon hole a guy as was the case for Bowe in terms of pace (and maybe Hook was the loudest critic but there were others in his early days).

Also just admit you're a gingeriest and deal with it :mullet 4:
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

To be fair to MOC, Its not his fault Dave Kearney, Luke Fitz, Zane Kirchener are injured. You'd say if 2 of those 3 are fit then Fanj probably doesn't make the 23 on a match day. Throw Ferg McFadden into the mix of injuries now too.

On the other side, Fanj has show fantastic application. Done the basics really really well. You can't say he's made any high profile errors and certainly is way down on the list of factors contributing to our lack of form at the moment.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

think we are getting even worse.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

goreyguy wrote:think we are getting even worse.
worse we get quicker he goes, be positive