Ponty v Leinster A

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ponty v Leinster A

Post by JB1973 »

Ponty are teak tough, full of fire and ask anyone who went have a passionate home backing,

To win there is a real baptism of fire for your youngsters , that will serve them will in the future as they progress through the game
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

JB1973 wrote:Ponty are teak tough, full of fire and ask anyone who went have a passionate home backing,

To win there is a real baptism of fire for your youngsters , that will serve them will in the future as they progress through the game
Thanks JB - you're a gent as always,

Pity Wales Online are not as gracious in defeat! They manage to mention four times in the space of one short article that Leinster are a fully professional team!!!
Wales Online wrote: Pontypridd players react to British & Irish Cup exit after thrilling 22-22 draw with Leinster A

Pontypridd players have admitted they thought a place in the British & Irish Cup final was there for the taking following their semi-final draw with Leinster A at Sardis Road.

After a ding dong battle against the fully professional Irish side, Paul John's men led 22-15 with the clock having ticked past the 80 minute mark.

With Leinster on the attack, it looked like all Pontypridd had to do was reclaim the ball and kick it off the field. But with the home crowd begging for the final whistle, referee Craig Maxwell kept the game going despite both Owen Jenkins and Simon Humberstone booting the ball dead on separate occasions.

And when Leinster replacement Andrew Boyle crossed for a converted try in the 88th minute, it sent the game into extra time with the two sides locked at 22-22. Having been outscored by three tries to one, Pontypridd knew they had to score in added time but it proved beyond them as Leinster went through on try count.

“We're deflated, it's a very strange scenario,” said man of the match Dan Godfrey.

“When the 80 minutes were up we thought that was it, we thought the time was up.

“The referee said to us there were six minutes left and then four and there were a couple of passages of play left. I'm speechless really.

“We always play to the final whistle but we did think the time was up.”

Pontypridd skipper Dafydd Lockyer added: “The backs thought the time was up, that's why they kicked it dead when they did. “Obviously the referee thought there was still time to go and they scored. It's tough to take.”

Sardis Road has seen plenty of superb Pontypridd displays over the years, but this was one that will live long in the memory, despite the heartbreaking nature of the side's exit from the competition. Lockyer's men slugged it out for 100 minutes against the fully professional Irishmen, five penalties from Simon Humberstone and a Joel Raikes try giving them hope of victory.

Godfrey added: “We've come so close against fully professional opposition. The boys will go back to their day jobs now but we showed we can compete against the big boys.”

Pontypridd coach John said: “If we look back there are little things where you think what might have been. But after 100 minutes of rugby against a professional side, we haven't lost.

“The biggest thing for me was when our scrum was going forward late on and the referee penalised us. It was a huge decision and for the life of me I can't understand how he gave a penalty against us.

“It gave them possession and from there they scored the late try. But first and foremost I'm proud of the whole squad and the club. It was a great occasion and a fantastic atmosphere. We played against a very good side and for a long while it looked like we were going to win.”

For most of the second half, it did indeed look like Pontypridd would set up a home final with either Leeds or Bristol. A place in the last two was snatched from them but with big games on the horizon, the club can't afford to dwell on defeat. They play Cross Keys in the Swalec Cup final next Sunday.

“I'm so proud of all the boys, I said to them before the game to have no regrets at the final whistle and I think we did that,” said club skipper Lockyer.

“We've got a massive game against Cross Keys next weekend, the season is not over by any means.”

John added: “Maybe we lacked a little bit of composure but we've got two finals left this season and we're still going for the double.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... h--7037343
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Sounds pretty controversial and harsh on Ponty. :(

Maybe if Pontyboy is around he can give us an eye witness account.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I suppose games played in a semi-pro stadium don;'t use the stopclock.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Donny B. wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/27171933

Holy sh*t!! That almost makes up for the 'tarf loss a few years ago! That has made my weekend.

Can't wait for the final.
Yup- that match in TP was the worst way to decide a result. Equal on scores and tries- so whoever got the first try won! Howthe f*#K does an early score have any special merit? :x
It's a rare occasion that me and Artaneboy agree on anything but I remember being furious about that bullshit at the time too.
Yeah, well- 'what's seldom is wonderful', as the saying goes! That 'rule', the PLR being composed of meglomanical buffons and... that's it really. Don't think I'll be booking a seat on the MOC is sh#*e bandwagon yet. :wink:
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

neiliog93 wrote:I suppose games played in a semi-pro stadium don;'t use the stopclock.
Donnybrook is the same.

No Tmo neither.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:I suppose games played in a semi-pro stadium don;'t use the stopclock.
Donnybrook is the same.

No Tmo neither.
Just as well the ref wasn't having to rely on the stadium clock in Donnybrook during our quarter final
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

Pontyboy34
Beginner

Post by Pontyboy34 »

So the eyewitness account - great game, great day, 5000 plus watching - Leinster, big side and quick backs - very quick at putting speed on the ball at ruck time - recycling was very impressive. Pont gave it their all - tackled everything that moved and kept tackling - even in the 110th minute - but we were at a standstill by then.
Cant comment on where the 7 or 8 or 9 minutes of injury time came from - but all I would say is that Leinster we good enough to keep going until the very last minute - time was up, they were losing but they kept going, so I take my hat off to them. Did Ponty deserve to lose - nope, I think if it had been a boxing match maybe a points victory by a round - but thats rugby - - the pain of defeat is what drives you on to achieve victory. The Leinster team and reps were very gracious (the ones I met anyway) and I do believe they appreciated the effort put in by the ponty team - after all these guys got work tomorrow as they are all semi pro.
It was great, would have loved to have won, hopefully they will keep the same format next year and we can try to avenge the defeat - now may I wish you all the best and go and beat Bristol in the final (as I believe they will beta Leeds in the semi) as we can't have an English side winning an RFU competition!!

Ref the referee - spoke with afterwards, was a nice guy, looked about 12 and I am not sure what his level of experience was - but as i mentioned previously I don't think he was biased to one side or the other - Leinster were good and clinical enough to fight until the last blow of the whistle an that is all that matters I guess - still gutted though
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Pontyboy34 wrote:So the eyewitness account - great game, great day, 5000 plus watching - Leinster, big side and quick backs - very quick at putting speed on the ball at ruck time - recycling was very impressive. Pont gave it their all - tackled everything that moved and kept tackling - even in the 110th minute - but we were at a standstill by then.
Cant comment on where the 7 or 8 or 9 minutes of injury time came from - but all I would say is that Leinster we good enough to keep going until the very last minute - time was up, they were losing but they kept going, so I take my hat off to them. Did Ponty deserve to lose - nope, I think if it had been a boxing match maybe a points victory by a round - but thats rugby - - the pain of defeat is what drives you on to achieve victory. The Leinster team and reps were very gracious (the ones I met anyway) and I do believe they appreciated the effort put in by the ponty team - after all these guys got work tomorrow as they are all semi pro.
It was great, would have loved to have won, hopefully they will keep the same format next year and we can try to avenge the defeat - now may I wish you all the best and go and beat Bristol in the final (as I believe they will beta Leeds in the semi) as we can't have an English side winning an RFU competition!!

Ref the referee - spoke with afterwards, was a nice guy, looked about 12 and I am not sure what his level of experience was - but as i mentioned previously I don't think he was biased to one side or the other - Leinster were good and clinical enough to fight until the last blow of the whistle an that is all that matters I guess - still gutted though
Tough luck chief. Sounds like it was a great game. Honours even at the end of the game - the only reason it goes to a countback of tries is because they don't have space in the calendar for a replay. It's unfortunate, because it sounds like a replay would have been another cracker. Certainly worth repeating that we couldn't beat you over the 100 minutes, and that was a strong 'A' team we sent out. Much respect due to Ponty and the Sardis Road crowd.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Pontyboy34 wrote:So the eyewitness account - great game, great day, 5000 plus watching - Leinster, big side and quick backs - very quick at putting speed on the ball at ruck time - recycling was very impressive. Pont gave it their all - tackled everything that moved and kept tackling - even in the 110th minute - but we were at a standstill by then.

Very gracious! Massive credit to the Ponty team who never (from listening) threw in the towel over the 100 minutes. Their club and town should be hugely proud of them.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Pontyboy34 wrote: Ref the referee - spoke with afterwards, was a nice guy, looked about 12 and I am not sure what his level of experience was - but as i mentioned previously I don't think he was biased to one side or the other - Leinster were good and clinical enough to fight until the last blow of the whistle an that is all that matters I guess - still gutted though
It was Craig Maxwell Keys wasn't it - he's RFU and does indeed look about 12 but I think he's going to be one of the big names in refereeing in the future. Saw quite a bit of him throughout the under 20s 6 Nations and he appears to be excellent.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

Pontyboy34, very gracious, its not easy to do in defeat. Both clubs did themselves proud, best of luck to Ponty in the rest of the season.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Highlights - looks like Ponty had a camera there themselves, good on 'em

I have Bumbleflex
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Thanks for the write up man and for what it's worth, i don't think it's right for teams to lose on trivial matters sych as tries scored, as ponty were punishing ill discipline with penalties and had they have known, might have gone for the corner instead. A draw is a draw and should be a replay imo.

Hard luck anyway, ponty lads being semi pro, leinster is a massive province with thousands of promising players to pick from, you should be proud and i feel bad for the manner of victory because i genuinely believe irs flawed (and have said that having been on the losing side of a similar rule and repeat it now)
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Dave Cahill wrote:Highlights - looks like Ponty had a camera there themselves, good on 'em

Much appreciated, Mr DC.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I can't help but like Pontypridd RFC they are clearly the best semi pro side in wales, they still have a loyal and vocal fan base (who can be a tad 1 eyed :)) and the area still keeps on developing players. I feel bad for the way their "region" has treated them and the way the WRU left them and valleys rugby high and dry, i hope they go on to win the league and cup double in wales , they deserve it.
MadiganSquareGarden
Learner

Post by MadiganSquareGarden »

How did Brendan Macken go on the wing?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

With David Moffet talking about a 5th region in his 'campaign', valleys rugby making a lot of noise, and various agreements being negotiated, Ponty might just be making waves at the right time
I have Bumbleflex
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Anyone got an idea on any of the stand out performers? What was Marsh like at 10? Conan? And Mcgrath at 9?
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Dave Cahill wrote:With David Moffet talking about a 5th region in his 'campaign', valleys rugby making a lot of noise, and various agreements being negotiated, Ponty might just be making waves at the right time
The amount of funding required to get them to that level would be huge, but at least under Moffet's manifesto it would be a possibility. And the irony is that the Ponty management won't engage with Moffet at all.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish