Leinster V Ulster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Amz
Mullet

Re: Leinster V Ulster

Post by Amz »

nelly the elephant wrote:
Amz wrote:McFadden can probably consider himself very lucky there. Could have been more than a penalty.
I actually think Ferg is having a great game.....along with Henderson for Ulster.
I never said he wasn't, I just felt he was lucky, given recent decisions on such incidents. He could easily have seen yellow for that challenge.

I hope he, Cronin and Dave Kearney aren't too seriously injured.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Amz wrote:
nelly the elephant wrote:
Amz wrote:McFadden can probably consider himself very lucky there. Could have been more than a penalty.
I actually think Ferg is having a great game.....along with Henderson for Ulster.
I never said he wasn't, I just felt he was lucky, given recent decisions on such incidents. He could easily have seen yellow for that challenge.

I hope he, Cronin and Dave Kearney aren't too seriously injured.
No probs.....I just quoted you for convenience re Ferg. Yep, a lot of bodies strewn about the place by the end of it....I hope they're all back like you say as we're gonna need them.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Can I breathe now?
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Bizarre game. We had the better of it for long stretches and actually engineered line breaks from set plays but were utterly clueless in their 22. BOD kicking the ball away was a low point. MOC has to take responsibility for our lack of accuracy and concentration. D'Arcy needs to hold his hands up and take responsibility for some really stupid and costly discipline.

Not sure we deserved to win but we were thereabouts given we created more breaks, visited their territory repeatedly and had the stronger set piece. Madigan had a great cameo. But that's not to say that Gopperth was poor, either. He looked our most dangerous player over the course of 80. One horrible block down that nearly lost us the game but kicked well otherwise and made Madigan's try too. No idea who to go with next week but Madigan looked more dangerous in the wider channels today.

Toner was superb. Got through a mountain of work and was a demon on their line out ball. Was my MOTM by a street.

Cullen also showed exactly why he's still a really important player for us. Has nowhere near the legs for 80 minutes but for 30 minutes he was a complete pain in the arse for them and led from the front. He was instrumental in our defending of the line in the closing stages.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I agree about Toner and Cullen (Roux was overwhelmed I think) and that Darcy had some very poor discipline. I think the thrust of your post suggests that Gopperth at 10 and Mads at 12 should at least be considered. That said I thought Cave was a pretty poor 12 tonight and while Gilroy did well with the space afforded at 15 Payne looked like nobody's foil at 13.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I thought Cave was very unfamiliar in the 12 slot. Gopperth ran around him easily in the first half. So, I suppose that has to be taken into account.

I'm reluctant to put Madigan at 12; I wasn't a big fan of it last year. However, he looked really good there tonight. If BOD is gone, then perhaps it should be considered.

I don't like Marshall being used as a bosh player but he definitely got them going forward when he came on and gave quick ball. Cave should not feature at 12 again.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

ceemec wrote:I thought Cave was very unfamiliar in the 12 slot. Gopperth ran around him easily in the first half. So, I suppose that has to be taken into account.

I'm reluctant to put Madigan at 12; I wasn't a big fan of it last year. However, he looked really good there tonight. If BOD is gone, then perhaps it should be considered.

I don't like Marshall being used as a bosh player but he definitely got them going forward when he came on and gave quick ball. Cave should not feature at 12 again.
BOD is gone I believe. The people making the decision don't know (for sure, the player doesn't think so) but that is the balance of probability.

I wasn't a fan of Madigan at 12 last year either (don't even ask me about 15) but we have to think about getting attacking threats on the pitch I think.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I'd be worried about Madigan facing Dunbar though who has been excellent at 12 and is a unit. Madigan was thrown back in defence a few times by Marshall (although he did get him to ground).

I'd have been hopeful of BOD being back with the 2 week break though. He was clearly shaken but not to the extent that Ferg was, I think. BOD looked like he took a stinger and a knock to the head but looked alright when leaving. Ferg looked very wobbly after his.

I'd say McFadden will be fighting to make it though with the backdrop of the Argentina tour. Schmidt may elect to leave some Leinster lads at home though given the first test is 7 days after the final.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

ceemec wrote:I'd be worried about Madigan facing Dunbar though who has been excellent at 12 and is a unit. Madigan was thrown back in defence a few times by Marshall (although he did get him to ground).

I'd have been hopeful of BOD being back with the 2 week break though. He was clearly shaken but not to the extent that Ferg was, I think. BOD looked like he took a stinger and a knock to the head but looked alright when leaving. Ferg looked very wobbly after his.

I'd say McFadden will be fighting to make it though with the backdrop of the Argentina tour. Schmidt may elect to leave some Leinster lads at home though given the first test is 7 days after the final.
I didn't hear anything about Ferg's knock.

I want BOD playing in two weeks and lifting the trophy but it's a good thing that people like me aren't involved. Or BOD. You look at Noves, a guy everyone thinks is sound (we met him too, geezer!), and how he behaved last week. MOC has kept it together but despite topping the league I'm pretty sure he's under tremendous pressure. That's mad really, but it is.

Actually I don't want BOD playing, I want somebody who doesnt really give a f%~k whether Leinster win or not deciding.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

We are still playing awful but still keep winning! (Not the worst complaint to have) But it really is just individual brilliance that is getting us over the line. Really pleased that both Madigan and Cullen played well.

Sadly individual brilliance won't be enough against a fired up, in form Glasgow.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Keith wrote: Sadly individual brilliance won't be enough against a fired up, in form Glasgow.
No but that quality of defending will.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Wow, just wow. Can we play Ulster every week please or, failing that, can they rent out their supporters to all our opposition in future?

The atmosphere, from long before the start till well after the final whistle, was amazing - their supporters definitely bring out the best in ours. I can't remember the last time I saw the entire Anglesea Stand standing to roar our players onto the pitch.

Probably won't have time to go onto their forum but can any of our Northern friends who post here please pass on thanks for a fantastic night.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Really absorbing contest. Incredibly physical throughout, the error-strewn first half was a bit of an eyesore but the second half was immense. Leinster's goal line defence was outstanding, as well as the belief to come from 9-0 down. We were fairly inept in attack for most of the match though - I really believed both at half-time and at 9-0 that we were finished. Ulster just looked so much better. The scrum, our defence and Ulster's errors kept us in the match, and at the fourth time of asking we took a try chance. Thank God. Just hope we're better in two weeks time - we'll need to be.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Xanthippe wrote:Wow, just wow. Can we play Ulster every week please or, failing that, can they rent out their supporters to all our opposition in future?

The atmosphere, from long before the start till well after the final whistle, was amazing - their supporters definitely bring out the best in ours. I can't remember the last time I saw the entire Anglesea Stand standing to roar our players onto the pitch.

Probably won't have time to go onto their forum but can any of our Northern friends who post here please pass on thanks for a fantastic night.
My thoughts exactly. The atmosphere was just nuts. Definitely the best match to have been at this season by a long shot.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Rewatching the game now. Toner was seriously immense. Loads of big tackles, effective carrying and owned the lineout (couldn't help some of Cronin's throws). I had thought for years he looked too kind on the field but he's turning into a hard man and may it continue
cwebber82
Knowledgeable

Post by cwebber82 »

ChrisUppy wrote:Rewatching the game now. Toner was seriously immense. Loads of big tackles, effective carrying and owned the lineout (couldn't help some of Cronin's throws). I had thought for years he looked too kind on the field but he's turning into a hard man and may it continue
Agree with that regarding Toner. Re watching the game myself. Toner was everywhere tonight. Superb shift.

Think BOD will be ok for the final.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Keith wrote:We are still playing awful but still keep winning! (Not the worst complaint to have) But it really is just individual brilliance that is getting us over the line. Really pleased that both Madigan and Cullen played well.

Sadly individual brilliance won't be enough against a fired up, in form Glasgow.
That glass is always half empty with you.

I thought it was the best- as in the most intense and attacking game- between two teams going for it, that I've seen Leinster involved in for some time. Gopperths superb flat pass for Madigan's great line and toe to the line ws possibly a sign of our midfield future next year. Both players had very interesting games. I though Gopperth played well all evening (block down apart) while Madigan was the key change that led to the win.

Toner was the MOM; Reddan was just poor; the officiating at the scrums was just weird and neutralised our obvious advantage. Feel better about next week after that second half now.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Blue Voodoo
Knowledgeable

Post by Blue Voodoo »

Agree it was a nail biter of a finish - not too many people heading for the exit before the final whistle
The noise and the atmosphere was great
On the pitch Toner was the best of the forwards - line out as usual , tackling and ball carries definitely a vastly improved player this season in 6 nations and Leinster - all down to hard work - hats off to him.

Delighted to see Madigan bag the try - there was more electricity in the back line after he came on for sure and it felt like there was more of a threat there

Finally the stout defence for the last few minutes was really encouraging.

Sure there is room for improvement but we topped the league in the regular season and
won the semi - let's get behind the team 100% for the final
BRulster
Bookworm

Post by BRulster »

Thanks and best of luck in 2 weeks!
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

Didn't think the ref gave us as much at scrum time as he probably should have. Presumably for the good of the game