Leinster V Ulster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster V Ulster

Post by simonokeeffe »

The girl who ran on the pitch and hugged Gilroy has been given a development contract, MOC admired her ability to seek contact with the one other player in that half of the field
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Best atmosphere at the RDS for a long time. Other than the final last year of course (also against Ulster), struggling to remember a better atmosphere. The "fan" debate can rage on, and the singing initiatives and "new traditions" and what have you, but there's no question we're not a patch on Ulster when it comes to creating an atmosphere. We fed off their fans tonight, but something tells me that the atmosphere with 16 / 18,000 Leinster fans versus 2,000 Glasgow fans in a final wont be a patch on 10,000 Leinster fans versus 8,000 Ulster fans in a semi-final. They made the atmosphere tonight and we should continue to look inwards as to why we rely on visiting fans to lift us to a level of hysteria that the RDS became tonight, but when it's full of just Leinster fans we never even come close to achieving.

Regarding the match, I thought Ulster were the better team over 80 minutes and controlled much of the game. As usual we relied on a moment of individual brilliance to win the game rather than any team effort or overall game plan. Defence was good, but as usual, we were utterly appalling in just about every aspect of the game....but still won.

Would anyone like to share an opinion on why we turned down four shots at goal in the first half for a return of zero points?
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Very pleased with the win but..... Jaysus we struggled. We need a serious improvement to beat Glasgow.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
BoscoBoy
Beginner

Post by BoscoBoy »

[Jackass] wrote:Would anyone like to share an opinion on why we turned down four shots at goal in the first half for a return of zero points?
It seemed to me on at least two of them that they were out of range. Not sure if it was the wind but Pienaar had a look but also turned down a kick of similar distance in the second half.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Monumental from Dev, and a terrific defensive performance from all. Any word on DK?
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
baaba maal
Knowledgeable

Post by baaba maal »

I watched the game again last night- I have to say that Toner was brilliant but Jennings equally so- the amount of times he spoiled, niggled and just made a nuisance of himself was terrific.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

[Jackass] wrote:Best atmosphere at the RDS for a long time. Other than the final last year of course (also against Ulster), struggling to remember a better atmosphere. The "fan" debate can rage on, and the singing initiatives and "new traditions" and what have you, but there's no question we're not a patch on Ulster when it comes to creating an atmosphere. We fed off their fans tonight, but something tells me that the atmosphere with 16 / 18,000 Leinster fans versus 2,000 Glasgow fans in a final wont be a patch on 10,000 Leinster fans versus 8,000 Ulster fans in a semi-final. They made the atmosphere tonight and we should continue to look inwards as to why we rely on visiting fans to lift us to a level of hysteria that the RDS became tonight, but when it's full of just Leinster fans we never even come close to achieving.

Regarding the match, I thought Ulster were the better team over 80 minutes and controlled much of the game. As usual we relied on a moment of individual brilliance to win the game rather than any team effort or overall game plan. Defence was good, but as usual, we were utterly appalling in just about every aspect of the game....but still won.

Would anyone like to share an opinion on why we turned down four shots at goal in the first half for a return of zero points?
"We were utterly appalling in just about every aspect of the game"?

Apart from defense, which is half the game. Man for man, Ulster have probably the most talented backline in the league – Pienaar, Bowe, Trimble, Payne, Gilroy, Jackson, Cave – and we didn't concede a try, even when we lost three outside backs to injury and played the last twelve minutes with two fullbacks, two outhalves and two scrum-halves on the pitch.

We were on top in the scrum for the majority of the game, and had them under a lot of pressure on their own ball. Maybe we could have got more out of it with a different ref, but who can tell. Dev Toner won two brilliant steals on their lineout, and while on the surface they were 'moments of individual brilliance', getting a 125kg man in the air in time to pinch ball from a well organised opposition line-out is a unit skill. He didn't get up there on his own.

In the aerial game, our kick depth and chase was absolutely first rate. We consistently arrived man and ball and hardly ever gave them opportunities to counter-attack. Gopperth's goal-kicking was 100%, and in a tight game like that, every kick was a pressure kick. I thought that most of our line kicking was very, very good – we got very good territorial gains of 25m+ from both Gopperth and Rob Kearney, and the latter was striking the ball more consistently and with greater length than he has done all season.

We made great line breaks and big territorial inroads through Jimmy Gopps, Dave Kearney, Dev Toner, Cian and Madser. Most importantly, we showed balls of brass to come back from 9-0 down. Both O'Connor and Heaslip used the phrase 'a mountain to climb' in their post-match interviews, but both were too modest to add that we climbed it.

We struggled quite a bit in ball retention, but they've got two of the most disruptive breakdown exponents in Europe in their team in Rory Best and Chris Henry, guys who stand out at test level for their work at the breakdown. Just like Mitrea on Friday night, Hodges let a lot go at the breakdown for both sides and as a result it was a massively competitive area. Some of our ball presentation wasn't up to par and we had some knock-ons and a charge-down, but we had a very rusty scrum-half who hadn't played a minute of rugby in six weeks and who put in a huge 80-minute effort.

We've got 34 and 35 year old centres in D'Arcy [who had a headless game] and Drico and while they give us quality defense in the middle of the pitch, we've got very little pace or threat in the middle of the park when we have the ball. That is what it is. Both of the lads have had long seasons – Darce hasn't played this many games for Leinster since the 09/10 season, when he was 29/30 – and haven't got much left to give in terms of attack.

Ulster are a first rate team. They went unbeaten through their HEC pool stages [including home and away wins over French and English semi-finalists this season in Montpellier and Leicester] and have been at the top table in Europe for the last three or four years. They had huge motivation coming into this game with the imminent retirement of their captain [that was Johann Muller's last ever game of competitive rugby] and having lost both games to us this season.

Against Edinburgh last week, we were actually appalling. Edinburgh are a poor team who can claim to be mid-table at best and had nothing to play for.

This game was not even related to an appalling performance. It was an extremely hard-fought semi-final contest between two interprovincial rivals stocked with Six Nations winners and Lions and a couple of World Cup winners in Muller and Pienaar to boot. We won our last Pro12 semi-final against Glasgow [2012-13] by two points, and the 2011-12 semi by four points. Semi-finals in the Pro12 are tough, tough games.
Bogger
Knowledgeable

Post by Bogger »

Was at the game and agree with comments on the Ulster Fans...just great crack all...we had fun slagging Sparky off vs Leo ....and with the help of the Ref (who was incompetent at this level) they should possible have won the Game....MOC is delusional ...I think Glasgow will come to RDS as favourites.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

We won because the team had balls and heart.
No tactical input at all.
Well dons lads you really played for each other.
Allez les Bleus
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Blue not red blood wrote:We won because the team had balls and heart.
No tactical input at all.
Well dons lads you really played for each other.
Allez les Bleus
This is just silly.

If we win, it's because the players are great and step up. It's nothing to do with the coaching team.

If we lose, the errors aren't down to the players, it's the coaching. The players are struggling to implement an awful game plan.

How about we aren't the team we were, we aren't as clinical as we were but we showed some good glimpses of rugby last night but lacked accuracy. We were brilliantly organised and determined in defence (which is a MOC coached area) and our set piece was very good. We also clearly targeted an unfamiliar Ulster midfield and made huge inroads.
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

offshorerules wrote:Very pleased with the win but..... Jaysus we struggled. We need a serious improvement to beat Glasgow.
Mmm, I'm not so sure. I've seen far more of Ulster this year than of Glasgow so I could be completely wrong, but it appears to me that Ulster are the better team.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

It is amazing how your mood & perspective can change during a game, after it, and then the next day.

For the first 60 mins I thought Ulster dominated us, looked physically bigger/stronger & should of scored at least one try. That said we knew before & during we had an advantage in the scrum & Toner, Mc Fadden, and Ruddock were immense all game (in that order). The ref also looked incompetant all game.

Then Madigan had his break & later try, the bench came on & they & everybody upped their game & frustration at our lack of attacking threat was replaced by respect for our defence. Then the ref who had given us very little gave us at least one dodgy decision close to our own line.

At the end while admiring the sheer intensity of the game & the fantastic atmosphere at the ground we were just relieved to have won a game we all said we did not deserve to win.

A day later I think most of us are far more generous in our most mortems. The team know what they can & cannot do THIS SEASON & while rebuilding is needed to bring in more attacking threats in the midfield especially we are showing great character to hang in there against better backlines. Hopefully Jonny will come back & it could even be good for Mads as a 2nd 5/8 provided we get a strong physical centre beside him.

I also agree with all the positive comments about Ulster supporters. We had pints with some of them & even in the midst of their disappointment they were great company & supporters of their team. I know we like Clermont supporters but recent meetings would suggest we have a lot of mutual respect & rivalry with Ulster fans.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Great game

Ulster are a damn fine team. we may have stumbled to some victories during the season, after beating that Ulster team we deserve our grand final place.

We were a different animal to what was on show last week (and a lot of the season!)
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

On another note, I was less than impressed with Roux again. He was all arms and hands when trying to make his tackles rather than going through someone and putting his shoulder into them. A very ineffective performance from him, really. Hopefully McCarthy is back next week to start with Cullen coming in again with 25 minutes left.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Great game.

Lots of line breaks against a solid defence. Many areas we played well in.

We've missed McFadden on the wing.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

hugonaut wrote:"We were utterly appalling in just about every aspect of the game"?

Apart from defense, which is half the game. Man for man, Ulster have probably the most talented backline in the league – Pienaar, Bowe, Trimble, Payne, Gilroy, Jackson, Cave – and we didn't concede a try, even when we lost three outside backs to injury and played the last twelve minutes with two fullbacks, two outhalves and two scrum-halves on the pitch.

We were on top in the scrum for the majority of the game, and had them under a lot of pressure on their own ball. Maybe we could have got more out of it with a different ref, but who can tell. Dev Toner won two brilliant steals on their lineout, and while on the surface they were 'moments of individual brilliance', getting a 125kg man in the air in time to pinch ball from a well organised opposition line-out is a unit skill. He didn't get up there on his own.

In the aerial game, our kick depth and chase was absolutely first rate. We consistently arrived man and ball and hardly ever gave them opportunities to counter-attack. Gopperth's goal-kicking was 100%, and in a tight game like that, every kick was a pressure kick. I thought that most of our line kicking was very, very good – we got very good territorial gains of 25m+ from both Gopperth and Rob Kearney, and the latter was striking the ball more consistently and with greater length than he has done all season.

We made great line breaks and big territorial inroads through Jimmy Gopps, Dave Kearney, Dev Toner, Cian and Madser. Most importantly, we showed balls of brass to come back from 9-0 down. Both O'Connor and Heaslip used the phrase 'a mountain to climb' in their post-match interviews, but both were too modest to add that we climbed it.

We struggled quite a bit in ball retention, but they've got two of the most disruptive breakdown exponents in Europe in their team in Rory Best and Chris Henry, guys who stand out at test level for their work at the breakdown. Just like Mitrea on Friday night, Hodges let a lot go at the breakdown for both sides and as a result it was a massively competitive area. Some of our ball presentation wasn't up to par and we had some knock-ons and a charge-down, but we had a very rusty scrum-half who hadn't played a minute of rugby in six weeks and who put in a huge 80-minute effort.

We've got 34 and 35 year old centres in D'Arcy [who had a headless game] and Drico and while they give us quality defense in the middle of the pitch, we've got very little pace or threat in the middle of the park when we have the ball. That is what it is. Both of the lads have had long seasons – Darce hasn't played this many games for Leinster since the 09/10 season, when he was 29/30 – and haven't got much left to give in terms of attack.

Ulster are a first rate team. They went unbeaten through their HEC pool stages [including home and away wins over French and English semi-finalists this season in Montpellier and Leicester] and have been at the top table in Europe for the last three or four years. They had huge motivation coming into this game with the imminent retirement of their captain [that was Johann Muller's last ever game of competitive rugby] and having lost both games to us this season.

Against Edinburgh last week, we were actually appalling. Edinburgh are a poor team who can claim to be mid-table at best and had nothing to play for.

This game was not even related to an appalling performance. It was an extremely hard-fought semi-final contest between two interprovincial rivals stocked with Six Nations winners and Lions and a couple of World Cup winners in Muller and Pienaar to boot. We won our last Pro12 semi-final against Glasgow [2012-13] by two points, and the 2011-12 semi by four points. Semi-finals in the Pro12 are tough, tough games.
Great response to the original post.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Probably not a lot to be taken from it, pre medical assessment, but MOC stated that BOD and McFadden were in good nick in the dressing room afterwards.

BOD took a hit to the head as well as the neck area. Ferg a hit to the head. BOD actually looked quite lucid when he was going off and when he was sitting up, talking with medical staff. However, perhaps take with a pinch of salt when he called DK's injury a "tweak".

I would say they'll be looking to start both McFadden and BOD against Glasgow.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

sid wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:Wow, just wow. Can we play Ulster every week please or, failing that, can they rent out their supporters to all our opposition in future?

The atmosphere, from long before the start till well after the final whistle, was amazing - their supporters definitely bring out the best in ours. I can't remember the last time I saw the entire Anglesea Stand standing to roar our players onto the pitch.

Probably won't have time to go onto their forum but can any of our Northern friends who post here please pass on thanks for a fantastic night.
My thoughts exactly. The atmosphere was just nuts. Definitely the best match to have been at this season by a long shot.
I'd say it's time that Ulster start getting the chance to play us in Lansdowne, mix it up from the annual Munster game there.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Really impressive goal line defence. Super discipline in terms of making sure not to give away penalties.

Ulster stretched us but we didn't break.
leinsterblueyellow
Learner

Post by leinsterblueyellow »

I loved the quip an Ulster friend told me while watching the match from the terrace under the Anglesea. When Devin made the break after heavy pressure from Ulster at our try line and made it to our 22 he heard a leinster fan day "Hey Devin two more strides and you'll score a try!"